Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASP

Warped Label Inside Case7678

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know what would cause the label to warp inside the case?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Poor quality control when cut and encapsulated would be my guess.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Yeah. Good call. The comic has some waviness at the bottom too. ☹️
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yes, It appears to me the label was cut to big and forced into the slab.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
The good news is that CBCS holders can be popped open and closed with no problem, so you should be able to fix it yourself.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@robertofredrico I'm not sure how it can be fixed without cutting the label to fit, and I honestly don't want to tamper with that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain I’d email customer service some photos and see if they’ll fix it. It may take a little while for them to get back to you but they usually address issues free of charge.

You don’t want to attempt to pop open the case. While the cases are meant to be easy to open, the tabs are also meant to break if opened (though that may not always be the case) and if they do break then the book will have to be regraded, and that wouldn’t be free
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
The good news is that CBCS holders can be popped open and closed with no problem, so you should be able to fix it yourself.

I would say that is bad news, If the label can be tampered with.

I don't do any of the autographed books, but I have cracked out plenty of regular CBCS books and the label is sealed inside the mylar tray and also has the heat seal running through the label making it virtually impossible to remove without damage.

I can't really tell with your Batman book, but it appears there is no "Heat Seal" running through the label which leads me to believe that the label is not sealed inside the inner mylar tray as the standard books are.

While it has been proven that the corner clips can be removed,I believe that it is easier said than done.

Im hoping that CBCS is going to do away with the "corner clips" when they come out with their new slab that features smooth sealed outer edge as is the standard for most grading companies. The "Corner Clips" on CBCS slabs make them the least Eye appealing slabs between CGC, PGX and CBCS.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I didn't have this book personally graded. I got it off Instagram. Would CBCS customer service still fix this free of charge? I think the book is probably worth $40-50 dollars, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the cost.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Yeah. The heat seal doesn't run completely through the logo. I'm guessing this book was graded before they started doing that.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Despain If it wasn’t from your personal order I doubt they’d do it for free. However, you may be able to do a simple reholder, which is $10 + shipping, the book will keep its grade and serial number, and should get around most of the wait time mess that’s currently going on.

I’d email customer service with photos to ask just to make sure.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I would return the book if you recently purchased, could be an problem with moisture or heat.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The standard CBCS slabbed book has the label sealed inside the inner Mylar tray with the heat seal running through the label.

I do not deal with any CBCS autographed books. The first question I need answered from those that collect these yellow labels......

#1 Is the Label on these Yellow Labeled books not sealed inside the inner tray with the heat seal running through it? (Which is standard practice with the regular slabbed books)
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS treats all its labels the same way. If the label doesn’t have the heat seal running through it, it’s more likey from the period before CBCS started doing that for all books or a QC issue than any conscous difference in handling of the different labels

Post 14 IP   flag post
This one doesn't have the heat seal all the way through the logo.

The label is still in the inner Mylar.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Man oh Man..... That is a really extreme bend especially being inside the inner mylar.

Im going to have to still say that it was not placed in the slab right and when the two outer halves were pressed together it binded the inner mylar sleeve somehow. Horrible quality control here.

If CBCS had any kind of customer service they would fix it and pay for the shipping both ways.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't know how it got this way. Is it possible that heat, cold, moisture, or a combination of these could cause this?

The guy who sent this to me said that he believed the label was flat or mostly flat, before he sent it to me. But if that's true, what would cause the label to warp in USPS mail from Ohio to Tennessee?

He also suggested that the larger CBCS slabs for square bound comics have a bigger area where the label is, and this might allow for warping if it got cold (he lives in Ohio). But how cold would it have to get to cause this? I don't know. I've just never seen this before, and I thought I would ask you guys.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I think the seller might have understanded "Mostly Flat"

I live in Illinois and I don't believe cold, or heat would do that to just that part of the inner mylar and not effect the rest of the book. Did you see pics of the book before buying it?

I still tend to think it was encased improperly.
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a 400 follower contest giveaway on Instagram. I did see a picture of it, but I couldn't tell much about the label from it. The guy is a good dude, so I don't fault him at all.

If you're interested, check out his Instagram at mclanecomics.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I still think this is on CBCS and they should be willing to correct it, If its worth your time and trouble to send it back.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I sent an email with pictures to customer service, so I'll see if they reply.

Their reslab fee is $10 and return shipping is $25, correct? Plus it'd cost me around $10 to ship to Texas. It doesn't make economic sense to pay $45 total to get this book recased. If CBCS will step up and fix it, then yeah, I'll send it to them for a reslab.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I sent an email with pictures to customer service, so I'll see if they reply.

Their reslab fee is $10 and return shipping is $25, correct? Plus it'd cost me around $10 to ship to Texas. It doesn't make economic sense to pay $45 total to get this book recased. If CBCS will step up and fix it, then yeah, I'll send it to them for a reslab.

CBCS should pick up the tab for the whole 9-yards IMHO.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 I agree. 👍🏻
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
There are a few things that can cause a label to "warp" like this. While we are not perfect I doubt that our Encapsulation or QC departments would have missed something like this. Something this extream is usually caused by an impact on the bottom of the case causing the inner well to shift upward. When this happens the label is pushed upward, bending it.

The CBCS case is designed to work this way to help prevent damage to the comic book if the case is dropped or something similar happens.

The only way to really tell and to fix the issue is to send the book into us to have it re-slabed. My suggestion is to wait until you want to submit books for grading and either mail it to us or drop it off at one of our convention booths.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulus
There are a few things that can cause a label to "warp" like this. While we are not perfect I doubt that our Encapsulation or QC departments would have missed something like this. Something this extream is usually caused by an impact on the bottom of the case causing the inner well to shift upward. When this happens the label is pushed upward, bending it.

The CBCS case is designed to work this way to help prevent damage to the comic book if the case is dropped or something similar happens.

The only way to really tell and to fix the issue is to send the book into us to have it re-slabed. My suggestion is to wait until you want to submit books for grading and either mail it to us or drop it off at one of our convention booths.

I see no evidence of an impact to the bottom of the case that would cause the inner well to shift that extreme. A hit like that would more than likely cause some type of crack in the case. I don't see any cracks in the case.

I haven't been to a convention in almost ten years, and I don't plan on sending any books in to be graded soon, so I guess I'm stuck with a slab that has a warped label.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain - Compare the height of that comic to another modern comic in a CBCS slab. See if they are approximately the same.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, here are pictures of the slab as they are shown on instagram for the giveaway. Can someone explain to me how this label being "warped" is in any way, shape or form the fault of CBCS??? It sure looks like something happened in shipping to me.

Post 27 IP   flag post
@esaravo I compared it to my New Mutants 98. They are the same.

@Jesse_O Obviously I've seen that picture too, so from that angle the label looks more flat. So, I don't know what happened. When I received the package, the slab was securely packed with bubble wrap and other packing materials -- no damaged to the box at all. I highly doubt that a blow to the bottom of the case caused the label to get jammed up and warp during transit. But if simply getting shaken during transit, that seems like a design flaw in the case.

Anyway, I received an email from customer service, and they said they aren't going to do anything about it. They told me to send it in, and they would reslab it for me for a reholder fee. It is not worth the cost with as much as the shipping charge is for one book. So I guess there's no need to discuss this further.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
after seeing the "before" label this is not CBCSs issue. The slab obviously left their facility and arrived at the original owners house in an acceptable state. Anything that happens to the case afterward is the responsibility of the owner.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe try to tap the holder and it might slide back down. Just a thought.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601275 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?