Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
For SaleQuestions

Advice on selling variants7656

Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I normally don't buy books for the sole purpose of flipping, but I bought a set of books on an on-line auction the other day and now I'm wondering what's the best way to flip them.

I picked up 2 different lots of raw comics, one that contained all four Dawn #1 covers + other Dawn books and another lot that appears to have the Dawn-Vampirella Silver Edition #1 in it (I can't be positive on the last one until I have books in hand). So my question is, in your personal experience, what's the best way to sell these to get the most bang for the buck? Should I sell the Dawn #1s together as a set, or should I break them up and sell them individually, or include the Dawn Vampirella and sell all 5 books together?

I'm just wondering if anybody on here has had more luck with one over the other?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I don't sell yet but selling in general, it is best to sell separately.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on how much you want to deal with. Individual sales would probably get you the most money but you will spend more in packing supplies and postage and you will have more buyers which means more opportunities for complaints, buyers remorse, damage in transit. . . .
I'd start with figuring out how much you want and then offer them here first.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
To add to what @VaComicsGuy said, you will be spending more on shipping/materials to sell individually but how much are you expecting to get for the cheapest book? If it’s a $5 you’ll probably spend about that much in packing and decent (non-media mail) shipping.

Another big difference between your two options is time. There’s no way of telling exactly how long the books will take to sell but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the lot to sell faster than it would take to sell all the books individually.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
To add to what @VaComicsGuy said, you will be spending more on shipping/materials to sell individually but how much are you expecting to get for the cheapest book? If it’s a $5 you’ll probably spend about that much in packing and decent (non-media mail) shipping.

I've been selling some of my personal books, but they are mostly the dregs/cast offs of my collection. So based on that Priority mail is about $7.

There were 19 books in the first lot, with the exception of the 4 Dawn #1 variants, most were $5-10 books. I plan on throwing those up on ebay to sell for the FMV + a few bucks to cover part of shipping. And in those cases, if I can sell the other 15 for close to their FMV I will have almost paid for the lot. I counted on the 4 variants, well 3 variants + the original cover to really make my money on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Another big difference between your two options is time. There’s no way of telling exactly how long the books will take to sell but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the lot to sell faster than it would take to sell all the books individually.

And that's one of the reasons I asked the question, because I was thinking it would take longer to sell all 4 books in the same lot. Just because, I could see someone needing the White Trash version, but having the other 3 or some variation there of, meaning it would be a smaller market for someone who wanted to buy all 4 at once.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Depends on how much you want to deal with. Individual sales would probably get you the most money but you will spend more in packing supplies and postage and you will have more buyers which means more opportunities for complaints, buyers remorse, damage in transit. . . .
I'd start with figuring out how much you want and then offer them here first.

I've got packing supplies and boxes (thanks USPS), so I'm really trying to maximize profit on these. Thanks for the insight.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget about the Ebay and Paypal fees.

I'd post pics and prices here and set a deadline to accept. If they sell, you save the fees and depending on the state, possibly some taxes. If they don't sell, Ebay will still be there.

Either way, good luck.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Don't forget about the Ebay and Paypal fees.

I'd post pics and prices here and set a deadline to accept. If they sell, you save the fees and depending on the state, possibly some taxes. If they don't sell, Ebay will still be there.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks! I probably will offer them up on here first. I haven't done it with my other sales from my PC because they are non-key, ungraded, reader copies, but these are a different story.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Treweldy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
I normally don't buy books for the sole purpose of flipping, but I bought a set of books on an on-line auction the other day and now I'm wondering what's the best way to flip them.

I picked up 2 different lots of raw comics, one that contained all four Dawn #1 covers + other Dawn books and another lot that appears to have the Dawn-Vampirella Silver Edition #1 in it (I can't be positive on the last one until I have books in hand). So my question is, in your personal experience, what's the best way to sell these to get the most bang for the buck? Should I sell the Dawn #1s together as a set, or should I break them up and sell them individually, or include the Dawn Vampirella and sell all 5 books together?

I'm just wondering if anybody on here has had more luck with one over the other?

I’m a big Dawn and Vampirella fan. I’d like to see these.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Treweldy I expect them in by the end of the week. One of the lots was all Dawn comics, Dawn 1 - 6 with the 3 variant #1's, Crypt of Dawn, and Tears of Dawn.

I will post them when I get them in.
Post 10 IP   flag post
597877 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?