Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgePop Culture

CBCS LEADS THE WAY WITH A LABEL CHANGE (CGC FALLS BEHIND)7615

Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
OOoooo....going to have to see what I have that is a variant!!!

Should have more than a few by just dumb luck buying as a kid from the corner store!
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much says the same thing no? Canadian edition = price variant made for canada

Unless im missing something, this seems to me a waste of time.

Looks like some folks are at least excited about it tho 🤷🏼‍♂️
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Pretty much says the same thing no? Canadian edition = price variant made for canada

Unless im missing something, this seems to me a waste of time.

Looks like some folks are at least excited about it tho 🤷🏼‍♂️


Some of the 50's variants even made the spelling correct!!! colour colour colour!!!

I know there are the 75 and 95 cents..not sure if we got our own $1.10 editons though
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn’t exactly call this falling behind for cgc, or a milestone moment for cbcs. Just my opinion though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
A milestone? It’s cool I guess. Now getting my books back before my newborn can drive, that’s a milestone. JK

In all seriousness, this is great! I can’t wait to send some books out.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Now we know why TATs are what they are. It is all due to those Canadians!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
This is great news gentlemen ! The fact that the words, " Price Variant " has been added to the label is what makes all the difference. This is a milestone moment because CBCS is no longer referring to these books as Canadian Editions (similar to those 1940 - 1950's books).

These Copper age books are USA first prints, not foreign edition prints (or reprinted with different advertisements from their US counterparts).

CGC simply grouped them all together for lack of understanding and poor research on their part.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
These Copper age books are USA first prints, not foreign edition prints (or reprinted with different advertisements from their US counterparts).


That makes more sense to me now.

I wonder if they are going to arbitrarily only do it for certain years like they did with the newsstand designations
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
It is a milestone moment because people will start realizing that these price variants are first prints too and that they are much scarcer than the US print runs, thus making them more expensive.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Good move, CBCS!
Next step: extend Newsstand recognition beyond 2000 and identify when they are also price variants.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
why is my NMA 2 not identify as newsstand?


Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
why is my NMA 2 not identify as newsstand?




Good question, what year was it graded; hard to tell, appears to be 2018
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
yes last year. nowhere on that label does it say newsstand.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
These Copper age books are USA first prints, not foreign edition prints (or reprinted with different advertisements from their US counterparts).


That makes more sense to me now.

I wonder if they are going to arbitrarily only do it for certain years like they did with the newsstand designations
In the case of the Canadian & Australian price variants they were only done for a short time. We'll be following through with this identification on U.K. Pence & Shilling price variants as well. There are way more of those, dating back, at least, to the early '60s.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Snikt! Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I’d like to see having both red and yellow in the same label for books that have some witnessed and some verified sigs
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
If the 75 cent edition is the only book the Canadian had an opportunity to purchase, is it really considered a varient? I feel that it should have been left as Canadian Edition being that is what it is. Am I not seeing something here?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips Well, first off, they are variants and not editions. Point being that they were printed at the same time and same place as the US comics with the only change being the price. As to why not just "Canadian variant" as opposed to "75¢ Canadian Price Variant", the answer is simple. It's because the people who actively collect these variants wanted it that way. CBCS is just responding to the market.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
why is my NMA 2 not identify as newsstand?




My copy was identified as a Direct Edition on the label.


Post 19 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Scorpion I looked it up, CBCS announced the change on April 6th, 2017. Do you know the date your NMA #2 was graded?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@BrianGreensnips Well, first off, they are variants and not editions. Point being that they were printed at the same time and same place as the US comics with the only change being the price. As to why not just "Canadian variant" as opposed to "75¢ Canadian Price Variant", the answer is simple. It's because the people who actively collect these variants wanted it that way. CBCS is just responding to the market.
Let me play devils advocate here. So, are you saying then the .60 cent copies are also variants then? These would be recognized as "60 cent US Varient" sorry I cannot find my cent symbol on my phone.
I see what you say about what the market wants but this sounds a little ridiculous.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@BrianGreensnips Well, first off, they are variants and not editions. Point being that they were printed at the same time and same place as the US comics with the only change being the price. As to why not just "Canadian variant" as opposed to "75¢ Canadian Price Variant", the answer is simple. It's because the people who actively collect these variants wanted it that way. CBCS is just responding to the market.
Let me play devils advocate here. So, are you saying then the .60 cent copies are also variants then? These would be recognized as "60 cent US Varient" sorry I cannot find my cent symbol on my phone.
I see what you say about what the market wants but this sounds a little ridiculous.


No, because the 60 cent version is the regular issue. In order to have a variant, you need a regular.
Post 22 IP   flag post
CBCS TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
If the 75 cent edition is the only book the Canadian had an opportunity to purchase, is it really considered a varient? I feel that it should have been left as Canadian Edition being that is what it is. Am I not seeing something here?
It's not the only one that was sold in Canada. Direct sales copies had both U.S. & Canadian pricing.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Or what Tim said!! LOL
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
If the 75 cent edition is the only book the Canadian had an opportunity to purchase, is it really considered a varient? I feel that it should have been left as Canadian Edition being that is what it is. Am I not seeing something here?


In Canada, Canadian collectors always had a choice:

For Example, if you purchased a Thor # 337 from a Newsstand store it had a sole 75 cent cover price on it (thus the term " 75 cent Canadian Price Variant". These books were 15 cents more expensive than the direct copies in comic book stores and many people really disliked the bar code on the front cover (including myself and all my friends). Copies that were NOT SOLD were sent back for a credit/refund. Keep in mind that people who bought these 75 cent copies (i.e. Thor 337) were not really collectors because newsstands were read with little to no concern for safe keeping and I don't recall these newsstands selling bags and boards.
SIDE NOTE: Interesting enough, a number of collectors I spoke to ' claimed ' to have purchased Canadian Price Variants (i.e. ASM 252) in the USA, very close to the Canadian border during the same time and week that they were released!

OR Option #2 below

Purchase a copy with both U.S. & Canadian pricing from a comic book store with a 60/75 cent cover price (US and Canadian pricing). These books were collected by those who treasured their books and quickly protected them with bags and boards while reading their copies very carefully. Collectors often bought multiple copies as investments because at 60 cents it was cheaper than purchasing a slightly to moderately damaged comic for 75 cents from a Newsstand (and no ugly bar code). My friends and I were doing just that and buying multiple copies and keeping them in pristine condition....and with the 15 cents we saved on each comic....it meant only one thing...more money to spend on candies which made reading comics more enjoyable
Don't forget that newsstand copies were on spinner racks constantly handled and bent forward all day long by kids as well as adults.

The population in Canada at the time was significantly smaller than the USA... and this is not even taking into consideration the 'French' Quebec population in Canada which was one of the largest provinces by population (in the millions)! Many (not all) french speaking Quebecers preferred buying french TinTin comics as opposed to English ones ....This is a VERY IMPORTANT factor that few collectors take into consideration because they only compare the small overall Canadian population at the time to that of a very large US population!!!!
In summary:
1) The US population was significantly larger than that of Canada (almost 9 or 10 fold);
2) Then, discount a good portion of the population from French Quebec (in the millions);
3) Flooding stores with direct sales copies (with both U.S. and Canadian pricing) for cheaper;
4) Newsstands were more expensive and less desirable due to their high price and bar codes;
5) And to add more insult to injury...CPV's that did not sell on spinner racks were returned for a credit( as opposed to comic book stores who paid less for their direct copies at 60 cents, thus not allowed to be return for a credit if unsold!!!)

ETC.......
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O


No, because the 60 cent version is the regular issue. In order to have a variant, you need a regular.


So are the current DC issues with A and B versions, which I heard are produced 50/50, not variants because both are regular? Or Marvel direct and newsstand issues from ~1986 when they were equally produced?

I ask not out of any real interest, but the pedantry here begs for it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@xkonk LOL!!!! Knowledge is power!!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user



was just dumb luck I put a few away
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@sly
Additionally some Newsstand stores were actually selling the direct delivery comics, so by purchasing at the corner store you still weren't guaranteed to be getting the newsstand versions...dirty dogs!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@sly
Additionally some Newsstand stores were actually selling the direct delivery comics, so by purchasing at the corner store you still weren't guaranteed to be getting the newsstand versions...dirty dogs!!


I did not know this. Interesting. Thank you!
Post 30 IP   flag post
205689 32 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute