Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Staple rust removal-is there a simple fix?7614

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Bought an old golden age wonder woman last evening with the proverbial staple rust thing happening...is there a simple trick to remove the rust or slow it down or is this a taboo topic in line with cleaning and pressing...thoughts or input? Sorry in advance if it breaks the rules to ask this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Change the staples.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If i understand correctly that alters the original printed codition and would count as restoration and the book would take a hit for it in grading
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Staples can be dry cleaned.

Depending on the condition of them, results will vary.

Got pics?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I have never replaced staples, but couldn't it be done without being detected? Sounds easier than trying to remove the rust.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@brysb

Replacement staples will show signs of being unbent and “re-bent”. Also, the indents made by the original staples on the centrefold won’t line-up exactly, potentially exposing the switch.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I am also wondering if it would require a particular type staple that is no longer manufactured. Those golden age books were thick and big.
Knowing my luck they were manufactured only during full moons on even numbered months and used a process since lost. The metal was likely mined from some remote cliff face in the Andes mountains since lost in landslides, by people who no longer reside in the area. The staples themselves probably had special etchings copied from areas of the Nazca lines since lost to erosion. The metal was probably transported here using refitted German submarines from world war 2 which have since all sunk. When it arrived it probably went to a special plant that required a sixty four level security code to access and used special titanium vibranium plated molds for the staples . They were probably manufactured in precise numbers two or three at a time and numerically registered to each issue they were made for by a special squad of....well you get the idea
Post 7 IP   flag post

This is the book I am dealing with. It hasn't arrived yet but already making some plans to clean and fix it up a bit. It sold at 3.0 grade but I compared it to this one online and thinking that was a bit low even as is.

If the graded copy hit 4.0 I think I have a really good shot at same.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
darkseid that was brilliant. literally had tears from laughing and almost couldn't breathe due to it. thank you. will make my day today
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I am also wondering if it would require a particular type staple that is no longer manufactured. Those golden age books were thick and big.
Knowing my luck they were manufactured only during full moons on even numbered months and used a process since lost. The metal was likely mined from some remote cliff face in the Andes mountains since lost in landslides, by people who no longer reside in the area. The staples themselves probably had special etchings copied from areas of the Nazca lines since lost to erosion. The metal was probably transported here using refitted German submarines from world war 2 which have since all sunk. When it arrived it probably went to a special plant that required a sixty four level security code to access and used special titanium vibranium plated molds for the staples . They were probably manufactured in precise numbers two or three at a time and numerically registered to each issue they were made for by a special squad of....well you get the idea

I think the Vibranium staples were used only on the Marvel books...
I believe the D.C. books used Inertron Staples...
Post 10 IP   flag post
I think you are right..do you remember which company used energon to power the staple molders?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town those staples are beyond a simple dry clean. I would recommend replacement. Looking like that they may even break if you try to un-bend them. Regardless, they NEED to go before the rust migrates into the paper (then your grade hit is much worse)

Yes, the staples are unique, but all you have to do is purchase a book from the same company in the same year. Piles of such books are usually available for a few bucks in the "kids" section of your LCS back issues. Beat up reader copies.

Note that you will likely get a notation on your label "staples replaced", unless you have a pro do it and do it well.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
What shrewbeer said...I was just going to suggest that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I think an.important point you are missing is that is Wonder Woman 16 from 1946. I seriously don't know many shops that have supposed reader copies of books that old for a few bucks. I'm sure something can be found but it won't be easy nor cheap
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think an.important point you are missing is that is Wonder Woman 16 from 1946. I seriously don't know many shops that have supposed reader copies of books that old for a few bucks. I'm sure something can be found but it won't be easy nor cheap

If you do a search on ebay for DC Coverless Comics and filter for Golden Age Comics, you can see some candidates for less than $20 shipped. Mycomicshop also has several coverless candidates, but you would spend over $30 before shipping.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Now that is solid, thanks Shrewbeer and Esarvo for the leads....gives me a direction to go in.
Post 16 IP   flag post
now the ten million dollar question...does anyone thing the staples are different from say DC or Timely or another publisher from 1946?
Thinking I need to play it safe and shoot for a golden age DC book
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

You should also be prepared to receive a “conserved” label should you wish to have the book graded again.
Post 18 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

If you do a search on ebay for DC Coverless Comics and filter for Golden Age Comics, you can see some candidates for less than $20 shipped. Mycomicshop also has several coverless candidates, but you would spend over $30 before shipping.

Might finally be a market for my remainder comics.

Marty
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

My LCS has old beat up copies of dell gold key etc. 40s and 50s. Nobody wants them, so in the kids section for a buck they go. Something like that would be worth looking to see if the staples match

You’re right though’46 will be tougher to find cheap
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Darkseid_of_town

You should also be prepared to receive a “conserved” label should you wish to have the book graded again.

According to Overstreet:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples."

Could a grader from CBCS let us know if they follow the Overstreet guidelines or use another for staple replacement? Also, does staple replacement get mentioned on the label, and does it also make the book be identified as either Conserved or Restored?

Thanks
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Like I said...change the staples.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@esaravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Darkseid_of_town

According to Overstreet:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples."

Could a grader from CBCS let us know if they follow the Overstreet guidelines or use another for staple replacement? Also, does staple replacement get mentioned on the label, and does it also make the book be identified as either Conserved or Restored?

Thanks

@esaravo

Don’t take my word for it 😉.

Here’s a previous quote from Tim Bildhauser:

“By CBCS standards, replaced staples fall into the category of Conservation and are notated as such on the label.”
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Might have missed it, but any rust migration into the paper?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I do not have the book in hand yet, only won it this past MCS auction, but from what little I can see of the spine in the images its hard to say....their description "•Staple rust. Cover and centerfold detached at one staple. "

From the pictures hard to see which staple is blown, but guessing the upper.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Top staple separated. There is some rust mitigation into the paper.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Which to me says change them and take the hit for it. They will know regardless
Post 27 IP   flag post
600782 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?