Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

General "waviness" of new modern books7611

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm considering submitting some of my newer books and i was wondering what people's experiences have been with grading on moderns recently. I have several books that appear to have no visible flaws, colorbreaks, tics, etc. yet they all seem to have a waviness when you see them in certain light. Image books in particular seem to be prime offenders, but marvel and dc are not exempt from this also. About 75% of my books from last week seemed to have this issue, it's not water damage. What sort of grades have people been receiving? If these are essentially flaws from manufacturer, or they are"just the way they are made" it seems like that should be taken into account. Are people just pressing these books? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

almost all of them do now, and mostly marvel. DC and IDW seem to not have these conditional waves in my experience. I press them flat because it looks terrible, regardless of grade or not.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
This is common in production in many comics, especially some newer comics. You can get a 9.8 with some degree of waviness, but there are extremes that can cause the book to grade lower. It is a judgment call by the grader in the moment.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts @kaptainmyke thanks, I was super curious about it because its everywhere...every single copy of Image's dead rabbit last week had it, Also all the fancy DC b covers last week seemed to have it too
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, that's right, my recent B covers of Batman and Batgirl, Harley Quinn have the waves as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
This is common in production in many comics, especially some newer comics. You can get a 9.8 with some degree of waviness, but there are extremes that can cause the book to grade lower. It is a judgment call by the grader in the moment.

I guess the message here is if you are looking for a 9.8, don't take a chance the waviness will count against you...quick press it (but leave it to a "professional" )
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone has their own, let's just say, recipe for success.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone is so quick to press!
Post 8 IP   flag post
601305 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?