Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestions

Shipping WTF?7605

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So last week I received three boxes from CBCS weighing roughly 40 pounds each. All three boxes were shipped under my Fedex account as instructed.

While I have some things I would say about the additional CBCS handling charges that is a topic for another time and not the purpose of this thread.

I have received many boxes from CBCS this year so I have a basis for comparison. On all of my previous Fedex bills I was charged for the following:

Transportation Charge - variable
Residential - fixed ($4.15)
Fuel Surcharge - variable
Direct Signature - fixed ($4.75)

When Fedex hit my credit card for $414.43 I took the initiative to look at my invoices. In addition to the usual charges it seems I was charged $95.00 per box for value.

I don't think there is any way I am saving money by using my Fedex account if this charge is part of the deal.

If anyone related to CBCS is reading this post, please respond and let me know what happened and how this issue will be addressed.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Just out of curiosity do you know how much it would have cost to go through cbcs instead of your own fed ex account?

What was the total insured value for all boxes? Must've been some nice keys in the bunch for $95 per box!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio Aside from probably getting pressed these books were no different than the books that did not have the $95 charge.

That is the source of my frustration.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
That is more than frustrating..I won't take up space with ramble, but that is ridiculous and this entire system is turning into a racket

good luck brother
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector willlewis78 private msg quote post Address this user
ouch that hurts,hey everyone-havent collected comics for years but i have about 8000 books from when i stopped in 1995,i need to get some key issues graded but i keep hearing horror stories about CBCS
Are the other grading sites any better-I appreciate any imput
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlewis78
ouch that hurts,hey everyone-havent collected comics for years but i have about 8000 books from when i stopped in 1995,i need to get some key issues graded but i keep hearing horror stories about CBCS
Are the other grading sites any better-I appreciate any imput

the Horror stories aren't about grading or quality of product...so my advice is try em both. Send books to each company at same time and see who u like after delays and slab appearance. it's going to be months regardless, so jump in with both feet and forget the books exist until you have em dropped off at your door and you'll be a much happier camper
Post 6 IP   flag post
Left a message and got a call back from customer service. After I explained the problem I was told they would look into it and call me back.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
So last week I received three boxes from CBCS weighing roughly 40 pounds each. All three boxes were shipped under my Fedex account as instructed.

While I have some things I would say about the additional CBCS handling charges that is a topic for another time and not the purpose of this thread.

I have received many boxes from CBCS this year so I have a basis for comparison. On all of my previous Fedex bills I was charged for the following:

Transportation Charge - variable
Residential - fixed ($4.15)
Fuel Surcharge - variable
Direct Signature - fixed ($4.75)

When Fedex hit my credit card for $414.43 I took the initiative to look at my invoices. In addition to the usual charges it seems I was charged $95.00 per box for value.

I don't think there is any way I am saving money by using my Fedex account if this charge is part of the deal.

If anyone related to CBCS is reading this post, please respond and let me know what happened and how this issue will be addressed.

Something I do not understand here. You received a FedEx charge for "value". I have used Fedex for many years and never come across this, as far as I am aware FedEx does not insure packages as such and have a $100 maximum value listing. Independent insurance is(was) they only way to go with them. Please correct/update my observations where applicable.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@RRO This is why am so confused.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.fedex.com/us/2015rates/surcharges-and-fees.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
http://www.fedex.com/us/2015rates/surcharges-and-fees.html

If the same policies have been in place since 2015 it appears that the person who chose to put a declared value of $9500 screwed up and triggered the fees.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Spoke with Jake in customer service.

Seems that CBCS changed its shipping policy for those using their own Fedex accounts. Not happy about it but I am going to call Collector's Insurance before I make any changes to my return shipping arrangements.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jdennis3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Spoke with Jake in customer service.

Seems that CBCS changed its shipping policy for those using their own Fedex accounts. Not happy about it but I am going to call Collector's Insurance before I make any changes to my return shipping arrangements.

Ya, I thought they insure the books during shipment from you to CBCS and then back to you. They just don't insure while it is in their possession. That was my understanding, but if you could share what you find out. Thanks
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Totally confused on how insurance and shipping works with getting your comics graded. You spent and extra $400 on insurance to ship the comics back via fedex? Isn't insurance for usps much cheaper? Do we pay an extra insurance cost while the comics are at cbcs?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
So fed ex uses the term value, which means insured value on the package. So cbcs wrote a value down which essentially added fed ex insurance for each box. Let me know if this seems to be the reason for the added costs fed ex charged your account.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I made a few phone calls and this is how I solved the problem to my satisfaction.

I have upgraded my collector's insurance policy to full transit meaning that any books shipped to me via Fedex are now insured up to $25,000 through them meaning I do not need Fedex to provide any insurance at all.

I have now instructed CBCS to ship my books with a value of zero so that Fedex does not tack on any charges related to value.

As a courtesy, CBCS has agreed to give me a one time credit for the excess charge of $285.

From my point of view this fixes the problem today and going forward.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I made a few phone calls and this is how I solved the problem to my satisfaction.

I have upgraded my collector's insurance policy to full transit meaning that any books shipped to me via Fedex are now insured up to $25,000 through them meaning I do not need Fedex to provide any insurance at all.

I have now instructed CBCS to ship my books with a value of zero so that Fedex does not tack on any charges related to value.

As a courtesy, CBCS has agreed to give me a one time credit for the excess charge of $285.

From my point of view this fixes the problem today and going forward.

So good to see this come out this way. This is also another instance of how CBCS can resolve many an issue, speaks well of their mission and care.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@drchaos glad it's been resolved to your satisfaction.

What I'm now curious about is when did the policy change and how was it rolled out such that the masses were informed? Seems like they caught you off guard...is this an isolated incident, or are others going to get unknowingly wacked as well?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

So does that mean you pay the insurance as part of your normal fed ex fees now, which you will declare the value you want insured and charged appropriately by fed ex? How much of a difference does this make in this situation? Or is that the $285 you got back?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

So does that mean you pay the insurance as part of your normal fed ex fees now, which you will declare the value you want insured and charged appropriately by fed ex? How much of a difference does this make in this situation? Or is that the $285 you got back?

The $285 I got back was the amount Fedex charged to insure each of three boxes for up to $9,500 per box. In the past I was not charged for this. Since I have third party insurance I have asked CBCS not to declare any value so I can avoid this charge in the future/ This amount is above and beyond the other shipping charges from Fedex.
Post 20 IP   flag post
598060 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?