Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Should I sell my copies of Batman Damned #1 now or wait?7590

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'll offer cover price plus $1.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Issue 2 comes out next week. It won't drive prices up necessarily because of the volume available on eBay but you might be able to move it for the going rate quickly. Otherwise after that it'll stagnate and continue its downward trend in value.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Issue 2 comes out next week. It won't drive prices up necessarily because of the volume available on eBay but you might be able to move it for the going rate quickly. Otherwise after that it'll stagnate and continue its downward trend in value.

Downward trend? I don't think so. Raws still go for $45 - $50, even with auction pricing. (And for a lot more on MyComicShop.) Meanwhile, more and more slabs are getting on eBay. The 9.8's generally go for between $125 and $175. And it certainly doesn't cost $100 for a slab.

Of course, on the upper end there are also a lot of 9.9 and 10.0 grades, too. And there are still more of those two combined than 9.8's. The 9.9 is around $150 - $300, with a lot of variance, and the 10 is still fetching $400 - $600 each, often more.

Also, search for "batman damned" on eBay, and there are nearly 500 results. I don't know of another comic that still sells that many, with demand that consistently high, nearly three months after it's been released. And part 2 is about to come out, which should juice demand for #1 even more.

No, this comic is still strong as hell.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
The 9.9 is around $150 - $300, with a lot of variance, and the 10 is still fetching $400 - $600 each, often more.

This is mainly due to the fact that those who have tried pressing this book to improve their grade end up with a big bulge in the middle of the cover....It's hard to get a 10.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
The 9.9 is around $150 - $300, with a lot of variance, and the 10 is still fetching $400 - $600 each, often more.

This is mainly due to the fact that those who have tried pressing this book to improve their grade end up with a big bulge in the middle of the cover....It's hard to get a 10.

Hard to get a 10? I don't understand why you would say that. There are more 10's of this comic than just about any other. For example, I just looked up New Mutants #98. There are 4408 at 9.6, 3162 at 9.8, but only 13 at 9.9, and exactly 1 at 10.0.

How about something more recent? Batman #1, 2016, there are 503 at 9.8. But zero at 9.9 or 10.0.

But for Batman Damned, 18% are graded at 10.0 and another 31% are 9.9. It's crazy-easy to get a gem mint with this book, relatively speaking.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
There are so many 10s it devalues the prestige of a 10 in my eyes.

I genuinely shake my head and feel a little bad for the guy who paid $2,500 for the first 10 that sold. Now they go for $500-600?
Post 31 IP   flag post
My original comment saying it was "Hard to get a 10" was a poor attempt at Batman Damned humor...I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
My original comment saying it was "Hard to get a 10" was a poor attempt at Batman Damned humor...I apologize for the misunderstanding.
I know the struggle when the joke is taken literally. Sometimes you just need the tone of voice.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
I know the struggle when the joke is taken literally. Sometimes you just need the tone of voice.

I think my bulge in the cover joke was also flaccid...
Post 34 IP   flag post
It was a little limp.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

I think my bulge in the cover joke was also flaccid...

Yes, hello, I'm Mr. Literal. Nice to meet you. It's a common, um, phallacy of mine to take pun at one's word.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:

lol

now that is awesome
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:

Gotta feel for the guy whose grade came back 7.5...oh, that’s gotta hurt!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
There are so many 10s it devalues the prestige of a 10 in my eyes.

I genuinely shake my head and feel a little bad for the guy who paid $2,500 for the first 10 that sold. Now they go for $500-600?

A fool and their money are quickly separated...

$500 is crazy for a 10 on this book also.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Yes you should
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Downward trend? I don't think so. Raws still go for $45 - $50, even with auction pricing. (And for a lot more on MyComicShop.) Meanwhile, more and more slabs are getting on eBay. The 9.8's generally go for between $125 and $175. And it certainly doesn't cost $100 for a slab.

Also, search for "batman damned" on eBay, and there are nearly 500 results. I don't know of another comic that still sells that many, with demand that consistently high, nearly three months after it's been released. And part 2 is about to come out, which should juice demand for #1 even more.

My point was it’s past it’s peak ultimate peak. Yes, there is demand, but the market is so flooded the value hasnt rebounded in months. I looked back in October and the raw prices were about the same as you quoted. Maybe about $5-$10 higher. Which is why I say it’s stagnate.

Keep the books, sell the.books...what do I know, and what do I care?

Sounds like you made up your mind. Good luck to you either path you choose.

I have my on copy and I’m waiting until issue 3 to read the series.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

My point was it’s past it’s peak ultimate peak. Yes, there is demand, but the market is so flooded the value hasnt rebounded in months. I looked back in October and the raw prices were about the same as you quoted. Maybe about $5-$10 higher. Which is why I say it’s stagnate.

I'll accept stagnate, actually. I think it will stay in this range for quite awhile. But I also believe - and this was my main point - we are looking at the bottom pretty much right now. I don't think it will go lower. The lots of 5 or 10 or 30 are all gone, and now we have people just dipping their toes in, selling in ones and maybe pairs of one cover each. (And a LOT are waiting in the wings for it to return to previous highs before they sell.) The graded books are dribbling back - mine will get here in maybe three weeks - and others are still debating sending theirs in. Especially for the chance - finally! - for a 10 gem mint.

(One thing that caused me to wait more than I otherwise would have was waiting to have a decent sized stack of books to send in with them. I didn't realize that the oversize was considered a different tier ... so I didn't save anything by waiting. At least I had five, though. Others, with only one or two copies, might not send theirs in at all, due to this extra expense of essentially sending it by itself.)

I don't know if it has a very high ceiling though. It could get back to where it was, maybe a bit higher over the next few years. But traditionally, non-standard comic sizes don't do well, long-term. Look at, for example, Batman: Son of the Demon. It was a graphic novel book - hardcover, in continuity (at the time), great story, great art - yet never really went anywhere, price-wise. Now it is all but forgotten, even though, technically, it is the first appearance of Damian.

And those treasury editions weren't very collectible for YEARS. They are just now getting a little due, some of them ... the Superman vs. Spider-Man, or the one with Muhammad Ali. But by and large, they are nowhere near where a normal size comic of their stature and importance would be.

So I don't think it will ever be truly collectible. But a lot of people will keep theirs just because of the pop it had right out of the gate.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
I still haven't sold my 3 copies, any takers?

How is that ship sailing?

The ship has docked because I haven't tried to sell them yet.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hm...

Post 44 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Are you making an offer or do you just like posting pictures of boats? HA, my 3 copies of Batman Damned are PERFECTION...those boats have flaws, thinking water has damaged the integrity and you have issues!
Post 45 IP   flag post
It was just my allegory.

I may be able to use the 3 copies of Batman Damned to sop up the boat however...
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What are you asking? Would you consider a trade too?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hm...

Should have paid full price for the name brand bilge pump, instead of the cheapo knock-off model from eBay.

I picked up an Advanced Reader's Copy of Batman: Damned last weekend. Debated selling it, but I think I'm going to get it graded & put it on the wall next to my copy of Batman: Harley Quinn.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Well,you still trying to move them?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

Which cover are they?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

Which cover are they?

1 regular cover and 2 variant covers

Post 52 IP   flag post
What I would like to know is, of all the people that bought this comic, how many people do you think even read it?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What I would like to know is, of all the people that bought this comic, how many people do you think even read it?

Wait! Are you telling me that comics are STILL being produced AND they are actually READABLE!?!
I did see some comics on the shelf awhile back, but they were definitely not readable. I assumed that the publishers were out of business by now.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I miss the days a single issue contained a story start to finish. Sure, half the page was word bubbles but you didn't have to wait 6 months to a year to finish what you started like now.

I also know that many I'll never read again because of the effort involved

My memory ain't great. So I rarely read a comic now until I have the arc is finished. It's an investment in my time (and money).
Post 55 IP   flag post
600652 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?