Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool part 27584

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Red_Blade Thanks for sharing that info!!! I'd love to hear more about the Asian comic book market. I enjoy collecting international editions of comic books, and Asian editions are among the hardest to come by. The Philippine National Bookstore, Goodwill and earlier editions are especially hard to come by, not to mention tagalog. And Thailand has some of the coolest looking horror covers that I've ever seen!! Throw in the fact that the largest comic book convention is held in Japan, and I agree that the Asian market is ripe for a third party grader.

I'd be interested in hearing more about collecting in the Philippines. For instance, is there a lot of comic book stores? What titles/genres are popular? Is it mostly DC/Marvel or do indies sell well also? Are there any Philippine comic book publishers that publish comics unique to the Philippines? Is there any kind of internet market place that people use there to buy/sell/trade their comics? These are the type of questions that I have when it comes to markets outside of the USA. Personally, I find it fascinating how much alike comic book collectors are, regardless of where they are on the globe!!!
Post 476 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 477 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Red_Blade Thanks for sharing that info!!! I'd love to hear more about the Asian comic book market. I enjoy collecting international editions of comic books, and Asian editions are among the hardest to come by. The Philippine National Bookstore, Goodwill and earlier editions are especially hard to come by, not to mention tagalog. And Thailand has some of the coolest looking horror covers that I've ever seen!! Throw in the fact that the largest comic book convention is held in Japan, and I agree that the Asian market is ripe for a third party grader.

I'd be interested in hearing more about collecting in the Philippines. For instance, is there a lot of comic book stores? What titles/genres are popular? Is it mostly DC/Marvel or do indies sell well also? Are there any Philippine comic book publishers that publish comics unique to the Philippines? Is there any kind of internet market place that people use there to buy/sell/trade their comics? These are the type of questions that I have when it comes to markets outside of the USA. Personally, I find it fascinating how much alike comic book collectors are, regardless of where they are on the globe!!!

You're welcome, man!
We have like 3 major comic book stores that are well known and have branches in key locations. They also ship nationwide as you can order from them online.
There is also a 4th player by the way, although they're not really a comic book store but a general book store, and their forte is selling TPB's as far as comics go. They're well-known for that.

Anything DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse sells here. "Love American" is the general mindset here. And it's not just comics but in everything. Local products don't sell here and local comic book publishers usually don't last very long. To understand the psychology you have to examine the history the Philippine has with America. Even English is the sort of 'official' unofficial language around here as everyone speaks it! TV shows are American, movies are American, even the Radio plays American songs. There's even a joke that if the US were to accept another State, this country would run for it!

There's this local superhero called Darna (kind of like the Philippine version of Wonder Woman) and she's been around for decades. I mean everyone knows her, but people don't really go fanatic over her or anything like that.
Then one day Marvel decided to launch it's own Philippine superhero called Wave, and people here went CRAZY. Some of her comic book first appearance issue spiked as high as 26,000 pesos ($500 USD) among collectors here OVERNIGHT! Here's one graded by CBCS (photo not mine):

They're all sold out in all comic book stores here in spite of the prices. Because it's released by Marvel. As simple as that. So people here want American made comics, and then they want to have them graded by Americans so they send the comics all the way to the US (imagine the nightmarish shipping cost) for grading and then back (another shipping cost). Imagine if CBCS had a branch here!

There's no domestic competition here whatsoever unlike say in Japan where they have their own domestic thing going on with Anime and Manga and all that. Also the Philippines is geographically in the center of Asia -- up north are South Korea, Japan, China, and down south are Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia (each one having a very strong Marvel and DC fan base). This would make a perfect CBCS Asia Headquarters.

Check out the comic book stores here:

https://www.comic-odyssey.com

https://www.filbars.com.ph

https://www.fullybookedonline.com/

https://www.facebook.com/cqsales/

https://www.facebook.com/planetxcomicsphil/
Post 478 IP   flag post
@Red_Blade Thanks for the info!!! I remember when that War of Realms came out. I have a copy of it somewhere. I didn't realize it spiked so high there!!! It's good to see that it's not only here in the states where people go crazy over the latest hero!! LOL!!!
Post 479 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

HILARIOUS!!!!!
Post 480 IP   flag post

Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Saw this and had to get one
Post 481 IP   flag post
Collector nik private msg quote post Address this user

When I found out that Stan Sakai was a guest at Fan Expo this year, I had to get a sketch from him. Cost was $100.00 and well worth it! Some were surprised at the price but my reasoning was he may not come back depending on his experience at this show.
Post 482 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Red_Blade Thanks for the info!!! I remember when that War of Realms came out. I have a copy of it somewhere. I didn't realize it spiked so high there!!! It's good to see that it's not only here in the states where people go crazy over the latest hero!! LOL!!!

Haha, yeah. Her name is Wave. 'Ride the Wave' as the fans say here.

Here's some photos from another event here in the Philippines about a couple of weeks ago. This was in another city. And these photos aren't mine by the way, just sharing.

Wave cosplay by a Filipina

Group cosplay

Venue before opening to public. Wave headlining the event

Thousands flocked to buy merchandise and have them signed! Marvel artist present

Endless cover variants of various Marvel comics featuring Wave

A closeup of a $500 comic book. This one is only single signed and it's going that high. Mine is double signed, so should go even higher

Post 483 IP   flag post
@Red_Blade Very cool!!! I hope you do well on your sale!!!

I checked out those links you posted and I'm glad I did!!! It seems that there is going to be another Filipina superhero introduced in Aero #3 - Sea Hunter. I'll have to pick that one up also. I haven't gotten any of the Aero books yet, but from what I've been hearing, it seems like a decent read.
Post 484 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
DAISY back cover ad from WORLD'S FINEST #36 SEPT/OCT 1948.

OO

mm
Post 485 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Red_Blade Very cool!!! I hope you do well on your sale!!!

I checked out those links you posted and I'm glad I did!!! It seems that there is going to be another Filipina superhero introduced in Aero #3 - Sea Hunter. I'll have to pick that one up also. I haven't gotten any of the Aero books yet, but from what I've been hearing, it seems like a decent read.

Post 486 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user

This is future Heisman Trophy winner and Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota introducing himself to my son Grant after a practice in Eugene, Oregon about 6 years ago. He was catching a flight in a few hours for an away game but he hung out and took pictures with our family until we suggested that he probably needed to get going. He made a huge impact on a 7 year old, made him truly understand that your worth in life is measured by how treat others. After that meeting several parents of younger children would tell us how much their kid loved Grant and couldn't wait to find him on the playground at lunch time. In 4th grade Grant would go visit his sisters 1st grade class at lunch but the kids would get too excited, they would lose their minds and run around until somebody got knocked over. Last year when he was voted "6th Grader of the year" by his teachers, they mentioned that they were especially impressed by how he interacts with the "special needs" kids, including them and making them feel like everyone else. I really don't think Grant would have the confidence to be this way if not for 10 minutes of kind attention from a great dude!
Post 487 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
sometimes its just the tiny little things that make the hugest impacts
Post 488 IP   flag post
First Day...April 3, 1978

mm
Post 489 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 490 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
My son's birthday was Monday. His name is Logan. I had a guy mess around with some Jim Lee corner box art and make it unique. I had him incorporate my son's birthday into it and also his name. I'm thinking I'll have it printed off and hang it in his room as a poster.
Post 491 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia that's very cool!
Post 492 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth thank you. That little boy means everything to me.
Post 493 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia I know exactly what you mean.
Post 494 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia Very Cool
Post 495 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
@GanaSoth thank you. That little boy means everything to me.

Yeah, the second birthday is really cool. By the 13th birthday don't be totally disappointed in yourself if you've used terms like "moron", "knucklehead", "lazy-ass", "sloppy pig" and "you should try to find your real dad". It doesn't mean you don't love them and aren't sometimes proud of them.
Post 496 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Got talked into running a 10k this morning for the Air Force Marathon at Wright Pat AFB. Knees and ankles hurt now. First time ever doing one of these. Felt like this:

But got my participation medal.

Post 497 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Ha!! congrats man and I can totally relate! I too did a 10K run a few years back and I swear there's gravel in my knees that wasnt there before the race.
Post 498 IP   flag post
I don't think the Plastic Pistol Pencil Case would be
too well received in school today.

OO From ALL-FLASH #31

MM
Post 499 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I got this last June through Mandarake.

Post 500 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot I had my bill battle 3 in the cgc registry. I have cgc books registered as another record of books I have for insurance purposes on their sets registry site.

Received this certificate in the mail today.

Oh well since my single book set is the only one there I win 🤪

My book.

I just think it's a classic cold war cover.
Reason I picked it up years ago.
Post 501 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Full box of unopened Topps Marvel Sticker packs from 1974

Post 502 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

... and the bubble gum will be just as hard as it was the day it was packaged!!!
Post 503 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O and @sborock - If I close my eyes and focus really hard, I can relive that wonderful smell of stale, rock-hard, cracked, powdered sugar-coated bubble gum. It was glorious!
Post 504 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

WOW!! So many fond memories just came back. Thanks for sharing that!
Post 505 IP   flag post
596798 999 30