Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool part 27584

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
@esaravo I've seen them sold at some local shops. About $30 I think. Say they're good for transporting and storage. I thought about getting a couple for the more valuable slabs.

That's exactly what I did, Mike, I put my "best" slabs in it. The cost with tax was right around $30, which is too much in my opinion. But you can get that price down to around $20 each if you buy 5 or more (and then they will throw in free shipping too). At $20, it seems much more reasonable.
Post 401 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp - That's a great looking bound volume!

PS - Take a look at the stamp on Issue #1; could it have been a Pence copy?
Post 402 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Thanks! Not sure what the significance of the stamp on the cover of #1 is. It definitely has an American 25 cent price on the cover.
Post 403 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@michaelekrupp - That's a great looking bound volume!

PS - Take a look at the stamp on Issue #1; could it have been a Pence copy?

Good eyes!!! Yes, that is a pence stamp. That comic was sold in the UK. And I LOVE Hot Stuff!!! So, yeah, cool book!!!!
Post 404 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp - Not all comics sold in England had pence versions, or US versions were sold, so they would stamp the covers. Here's an example I just found on Google of a stamped book.

Post 405 IP   flag post

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Captain America Bend 'n Flex from 1972 still in bubble on card.
Post 406 IP   flag post
At a Doobie Brothers concert in Hartford, CT right now. Santana is on next!

Post 407 IP   flag post
Jack Kirby Captain America page from #105

Post 408 IP   flag post
@esaravo interesting. I had no idea.
Post 409 IP   flag post
Early 70"s Marvalmania.
Silver Surfer Black light (Third Eye Inc) complete in box that is very high grade.

Post 410 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Got an early peek at a neighbor's garage sale and picked these up for dirt cheap. They look like they're in perfect condition, except they've been drymounted.

Anyone got any advice for how to separate the poster from the foam backing? I'm thinking of putting a bedsheet over the poster, then using a dry iron on very high heat to make the glue give way. The posters are cool, but I'd rather sell them and use the money for more funny books.

Post 411 IP   flag post
Before the web, this is what we used to stay or get in touch with other collectors.....

Post 412 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Got an early peek at a neighbor's garage sale and picked these up for dirt cheap. They look like they're in perfect condition, except they've been drymounted.

Anyone got any advice for how to separate the poster from the foam backing? I'm thinking of putting a bedsheet over the poster, then using a dry iron on very high heat to make the glue give way. The posters are cool, but I'd rather sell them and use the money for more funny books.

I would leave them as-is, but it's your choice.

Linen-backing movie posters was a common practice among movie poster collectors. I've been waiting for the day when that would be frowned upon and considered to be a defect.
Post 413 IP   flag post
Vintage greeting cards. I think I bought them from Lon Webb. Not sure.

Post 414 IP   flag post
@X51 It doesn't bother me, and if I keep them, I'll leave them this way. It just makes them harder to ship. And yeah, I expect it's considered a defect among movie poster connoisseurs.
Post 415 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 It doesn't bother me, and if I keep them, I'll leave them this way. It just makes them harder to ship. And yeah, I expect it's considered a defect among movie poster connoisseurs.

I'm not 100% sure that it is considered a defect. Movie poster collectors have their own guidelines.
Linen-backing a poster was both accepted and preferred. I don't remember how foam backing was viewed. I used to buy comics at a store that sold movie posters. They sold some really expensive ones like Forbidden Planet. I think they had a 3-sheet for Superman & the Mole Men. Some of those old posters were very fragile and collectors didn't want their investment to tear in half or fall apart. Movie posters were also folded prior to distribution to the theaters. This created weak spots and unevenness if a collector wanted to display it. Linen-backing made if stronger and aesthetically more appealing for display. More modern posters are probably shipped in tubes, hence rolled.
Post 416 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
a 3-sheet for Superman & the Mole Men

Now that's something I'd like to see. I do have an original poster for Love Me Tender (first Elvis movie) but that's not as awesome as Superman or Forbidden Planet. And yes, as you say, it's folded up. Never backed with linen, though - a friend's mom got it straight from the theater way back when.

Post 417 IP   flag post
There were people who collected Elvis posters, so that's probably got some value.
Post 418 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Shop owner gave these to me. He's not sure how he acquired them.

Post 419 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That Roger Rabbit poster is cool.

I love the original film. I’d be interested if the price is right. Shoot me a PM.
Post 420 IP   flag post
From 1968. Coloring, stickers and activity book produced by Harvey.
Post 421 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
my wife likes to track our new dogs growth progress. Here's Murphy at 4 months old.

Post 422 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
my wife likes to track our new dogs growth progress. Here's Murphy at 4 months old.

Nice, we just rescued a 2+ year old, never been in a house or socialized one-eyed hound (people keep saying it's a treeing walker hound?). I was thinking some sort of fox hound. anyway, he's doing very well for a one-eyed dog that was either buck-shot or B-B shot repeatedly at one point. He is now a pretty severe cuddler. (this was when we first got him and he just stayed in the back hallway for about 2 weeks...trying to fit on the cat's princess bed. Now he loves the walks with our 16 year old dog (we've had since 2004; rescued with a broken hip/fractured pelvis and bald from stress due to abuse at 8 mo).
he came with the name Ethan, but we've been working (and nearly successful) on changing his name to Willy....missing his left eye, had to name him one-eyed willy

Post 423 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
what a sad and ultimately very uplifting story!! Thank you for sharing with us! And thank you for rescuing your pups!

My other dog is a rescue as well. Her name is Holly. We're not entirely sure what she is but we suspect maybe German Shepherd, Retreiver and/or Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was abandoned on the reservations in northern Quebec. No visible evidence of physical abuse but there was behavioural evidence. She's 4.5 years old now and we got her when she was 5 months old. She's doing great now..she's integrated nicely and is protective of her little brother Murphy. This is Holly.

sorry for the pic delay...upload issues.
Post 424 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 One Eyed Willy. Haha (sad he lost his eye though).
Post 425 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
what a sad and ultimately very uplifting story!! Thank you for sharing with us! And thank you for rescuing your pups!

My other dog is a rescue as well. Her name is Holly. We're not entirely sure what she is but we suspect maybe German Shepherd, Retreiver and/or Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was abandoned on the reservations in northern Quebec. No visible physical evidence of abuse but there was behavioural evidence. She's 4.5 years old now and we got her when she was 5 months old. She's doing great now..she's integrated nicely and is protective of her little brother Murphy. This is Holly.

sorry for the pic delay...upload issues.

That dog is soooo happy in that picture.
Post 426 IP   flag post
Ha!! Yeah...she's a well adjusted happy dog now. 🍻
Post 427 IP   flag post
Something cool to me.
What one of the shelves by my grading desk looks like:

Post 428 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Something cool to me.
What one of the shelves by my grading desk looks like:

I see Roger Rabbit. Are you a fan?
Post 429 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I see Roger Rabbit. Are you a fan?

Big time!
Post 430 IP   flag post