Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Scott Williams (couldn't find Jim Lee)

Post 353 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Willie Ito (very nice guy!)

Post 354 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
So...Clara Scroggins is (was?) the owner of the largest Christmas ornament (and Hallmark specific) collection in the world. She lives not far from me and they were selling off her collection last fall (she's in the hospital and needs money for medical treatments...I heard, I haven't met her). My wife and I like Hallmark ornaments so we went to the sale over 3 of the weekends (missed the first weekend). In addition to the regular ornaments, she actually worked as a designer and checked artist proofs so had a lot of one-of-a-kind ornaments and a huge collection of signed ornaments. I picked this up at the sale, I was actually less than $25 (Don't remember why...I did NOT ask for a discount I knew the money was going towards someone's medical treatment, I think it was the number of ornaments we bought). Got home and we started looking up some of the stuff we bought for between $1.00 and $5.00 and have several that sell on ebay for 60-80. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Johnson_Scroggins

Post 355 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65

May want to block out her address. Respect her privacy.....

But very cool
Post 356 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@etapi65

May want to block out her address. Respect her privacy.....

But very cool

She doesn't live there any longer, or I would have, but good call. Edit: And I didn't share anything that wasn't published in local news articles at the time. I just thought it was really cool and her collection was astounding. Her whole house was wall to wall ornaments. These crazy faberge eggs and some that were $1000s, down to a series of cocoa ornaments that were hand-repainted as part of a promotion of some sort. Stuff signed by Julie Andrews and Walt Disney's son. Ornament proofs and limited series. Stuff ranging from the mi-70s when hallmark first started right up through the July 2018 stuff.
Post 357 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
It's a shame that a collection like that needs to be broken up. Too bad a picture of items with a brief history couldn't be retained. Sometimes it's the memories associated.with an object that are most interesting.
Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
It's a shame that a collection like that needs to be broken up. Too bad a picture of items with a brief history couldn't be retained. Sometimes it's the memories associated.with an object that are most interesting.
Honestly, we haven't sold anything we bought because it feels dirty. We thought about selling and then seeing if 50% of the money we make could be somehow donated back to her medical care, but we're not friends of hers and it seems a bit unseemly to try and track her medical progress/condition. The article we first read that turned us on to the sales stated that some of the rarer stuff was donated (to whom or where we don't know).
Post 359 IP   flag post
If you dont want to / feel weird giving to her directly, perhaps you can donate to a cause in her name. For example breast cancer, you donate to Susan komen.

Doing a good thing doesn't always entail letting a person know.
Post 360 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
So...Clara Scroggins is (was?) the owner of the largest Christmas ornament (and Hallmark specific) collection in the world. She lives not far from me and they were selling off her collection last fall (she's in the hospital and needs money for medical treatments...I heard, I haven't met her). My wife and I like Hallmark ornaments so we went to the sale over 3 of the weekends (missed the first weekend). In addition to the regular ornaments, she actually worked as a designer and checked artist proofs so had a lot of one-of-a-kind ornaments and a huge collection of signed ornaments. I picked this up at the sale, I was actually less than $25 (Don't remember why...I did NOT ask for a discount I knew the money was going towards someone's medical treatment, I think it was the number of ornaments we bought). Got home and we started looking up some of the stuff we bought for between $1.00 and $5.00 and have several that sell on ebay for 60-80. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Johnson_Scroggins

A good deed sometimes bring great karma...what an amazing story and great keepsake
Post 361 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 is she doing any better? I hope she gets her health straightened out soon.
Post 362 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if any of you ever heard of Hellblinki, but they are one of the best bands. Dark and experimental, Hellblinki combines elements of American folk, European cabaret, and punk rock experimentation into an intoxicating brew of pure listening bliss. Local band located in Asheville, NC.

Andrew Benjamin is Hellblinki and he's a super awesome guy! Click or Touch here for Hellblinki's Website.

I got these all signed by Andrew.

This is a seven inch LP.

He also gave these to me for free!

Here's a video; check it out.
Post 363 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Went to the Sox/Yankees game last night at Fenway Park. What a pitcher's duel- 19-3!

Post 364 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Tried my Steve Rogers log splitting skills out. (Warning bad joke ahead.)
But without Cap's muscles, now I'm Thor!

Post 365 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@etapi65 is she doing any better? I hope she gets her health straightened out soon.
haven't seen anything in the obituaries and the estate sale was a success, so I hope she's doing well/fine.
Post 366 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is Murphy. The latest addition to my family.

Post 367 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if anyone else will think this is all that cool, but there’s a small local Con next weekend and I’ve been racking my brain to figure out a simple, casual, and fun “costume”.

With these two items, I think I’m set.

Post 368 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim not bad, not bad....a bit too much effort though....maybe Clark Kent on casual Friday??? That way you only need glasses!!
Post 369 IP   flag post
@00slim
I think that is very cool.

Subtle. But if you pay attention......
Post 370 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@00slim not bad, not bad....a bit too much effort though....maybe Clark Kent on casual Friday??? That way you only need glasses!!

All kidding aside, A Daily Planet shirt, a fake press pass lanyard and some black, square frame glasses wouldn’t be a bad choice, either. 😆
Post 371 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Went to a comic book show and none of the dealers brought anything that I buy. Bob Burden was not a scheduled guest, but he was there. I bought a hat. He signed it.

Post 372 IP   flag post
Bob Burden had some leftover stickers from SDCC to promote his products. He gave everyone one, but then gave me two others when I talked to him later.

Post 373 IP   flag post
I thought this was a stack of postcards on Bob's table, so I almost didn't get it. It was an actual book. No comic content. The kind of books with just words in it.

This was leftover from SDCC, so he had blacked out "SDCC" on the cover an on the inside. This is the "Beta" version. He drew a sketch in the back of it.

Front Cover (SDCC blacked out)

Back Cover (signed)

First page inside (SDCC blacked out)

Last page inside (sketch drawn)

Post 374 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Give-aways from Marvel Superhero night at the White Sox game last night
Post 375 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I've had this vintage Dead Milkmen setlist in storage for a while now. Any tips on possibly removing the duct tape without damaging it? Thx in advance

Post 376 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
warm it with a blow dryer …..then peel slowly...
Post 377 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Sunday night during the SDCC After Party at The Local Eatery & Drinking Hole, having a drink with Diana Schutz & Mike Royer, and these 3 guys kept making a lot of noise (Aragones, Simonson, and Bud Plant).

And I believe that's [the back of] Dennis Kitchen to the left of Sergio.

Post 378 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Every August was Atlantic City time...no comic books that I
remember but I did build up a library of TARZAN books from a
book store on the BOARDWALK.

Marty
Post 379 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Love those Burroughs Tarzan books! Definitely worthwhile reading!
Post 380 IP   flag post
596799 999 30