Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool part 27584

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Red_Blade Thanks for sharing that info!!! I'd love to hear more about the Asian comic book market. I enjoy collecting international editions of comic books, and Asian editions are among the hardest to come by. The Philippine National Bookstore, Goodwill and earlier editions are especially hard to come by, not to mention tagalog. And Thailand has some of the coolest looking horror covers that I've ever seen!! Throw in the fact that the largest comic book convention is held in Japan, and I agree that the Asian market is ripe for a third party grader.

I'd be interested in hearing more about collecting in the Philippines. For instance, is there a lot of comic book stores? What titles/genres are popular? Is it mostly DC/Marvel or do indies sell well also? Are there any Philippine comic book publishers that publish comics unique to the Philippines? Is there any kind of internet market place that people use there to buy/sell/trade their comics? These are the type of questions that I have when it comes to markets outside of the USA. Personally, I find it fascinating how much alike comic book collectors are, regardless of where they are on the globe!!!
Post 476 IP   flag post
Collector HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 477 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Red_Blade Thanks for sharing that info!!! I'd love to hear more about the Asian comic book market. I enjoy collecting international editions of comic books, and Asian editions are among the hardest to come by. The Philippine National Bookstore, Goodwill and earlier editions are especially hard to come by, not to mention tagalog. And Thailand has some of the coolest looking horror covers that I've ever seen!! Throw in the fact that the largest comic book convention is held in Japan, and I agree that the Asian market is ripe for a third party grader.

I'd be interested in hearing more about collecting in the Philippines. For instance, is there a lot of comic book stores? What titles/genres are popular? Is it mostly DC/Marvel or do indies sell well also? Are there any Philippine comic book publishers that publish comics unique to the Philippines? Is there any kind of internet market place that people use there to buy/sell/trade their comics? These are the type of questions that I have when it comes to markets outside of the USA. Personally, I find it fascinating how much alike comic book collectors are, regardless of where they are on the globe!!!


You're welcome, man!
We have like 3 major comic book stores that are well known and have branches in key locations. They also ship nationwide as you can order from them online.
There is also a 4th player by the way, although they're not really a comic book store but a general book store, and their forte is selling TPB's as far as comics go. They're well-known for that.

Anything DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse sells here. "Love American" is the general mindset here. And it's not just comics but in everything. Local products don't sell here and local comic book publishers usually don't last very long. To understand the psychology you have to examine the history the Philippine has with America. Even English is the sort of 'official' unofficial language around here as everyone speaks it! TV shows are American, movies are American, even the Radio plays American songs. There's even a joke that if the US were to accept another State, this country would run for it!

There's this local superhero called Darna (kind of like the Philippine version of Wonder Woman) and she's been around for decades. I mean everyone knows her, but people don't really go fanatic over her or anything like that.
Then one day Marvel decided to launch it's own Philippine superhero called Wave, and people here went CRAZY. Some of her comic book first appearance issue spiked as high as 26,000 pesos ($500 USD) among collectors here OVERNIGHT! Here's one graded by CBCS (photo not mine):




They're all sold out in all comic book stores here in spite of the prices. Because it's released by Marvel. As simple as that. So people here want American made comics, and then they want to have them graded by Americans so they send the comics all the way to the US (imagine the nightmarish shipping cost) for grading and then back (another shipping cost). Imagine if CBCS had a branch here!

There's no domestic competition here whatsoever unlike say in Japan where they have their own domestic thing going on with Anime and Manga and all that. Also the Philippines is geographically in the center of Asia -- up north are South Korea, Japan, China, and down south are Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia (each one having a very strong Marvel and DC fan base). This would make a perfect CBCS Asia Headquarters.

Check out the comic book stores here:

https://www.comic-odyssey.com

https://www.filbars.com.ph

https://www.fullybookedonline.com/

https://www.facebook.com/cqsales/

https://www.facebook.com/planetxcomicsphil/
Post 478 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Red_Blade Thanks for the info!!! I remember when that War of Realms came out. I have a copy of it somewhere. I didn't realize it spiked so high there!!! It's good to see that it's not only here in the states where people go crazy over the latest hero!! LOL!!!
Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad



HILARIOUS!!!!!
Post 480 IP   flag post


Collector Murmonster private msg quote post Address this user
Saw this and had to get one
Post 481 IP   flag post
Collector nik private msg quote post Address this user



When I found out that Stan Sakai was a guest at Fan Expo this year, I had to get a sketch from him. Cost was $100.00 and well worth it! Some were surprised at the price but my reasoning was he may not come back depending on his experience at this show.
Post 482 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Red_Blade Thanks for the info!!! I remember when that War of Realms came out. I have a copy of it somewhere. I didn't realize it spiked so high there!!! It's good to see that it's not only here in the states where people go crazy over the latest hero!! LOL!!!


Haha, yeah. Her name is Wave. 'Ride the Wave' as the fans say here.

Here's some photos from another event here in the Philippines about a couple of weeks ago. This was in another city. And these photos aren't mine by the way, just sharing.

Wave cosplay by a Filipina



Group cosplay



Venue before opening to public. Wave headlining the event



Thousands flocked to buy merchandise and have them signed! Marvel artist present





Endless cover variants of various Marvel comics featuring Wave



A closeup of a $500 comic book. This one is only single signed and it's going that high. Mine is double signed, so should go even higher

Post 483 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Red_Blade Very cool!!! I hope you do well on your sale!!!

I checked out those links you posted and I'm glad I did!!! It seems that there is going to be another Filipina superhero introduced in Aero #3 - Sea Hunter. I'll have to pick that one up also. I haven't gotten any of the Aero books yet, but from what I've been hearing, it seems like a decent read.
Post 484 IP   flag post
Collector martymann private msg quote post Address this user
DAISY back cover ad from WORLD'S FINEST #36 SEPT/OCT 1948.



OO

mm
Post 485 IP   flag post
Collector Red_Blade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Red_Blade Very cool!!! I hope you do well on your sale!!!

I checked out those links you posted and I'm glad I did!!! It seems that there is going to be another Filipina superhero introduced in Aero #3 - Sea Hunter. I'll have to pick that one up also. I haven't gotten any of the Aero books yet, but from what I've been hearing, it seems like a decent read.


Post 486 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user



This is future Heisman Trophy winner and Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota introducing himself to my son Grant after a practice in Eugene, Oregon about 6 years ago. He was catching a flight in a few hours for an away game but he hung out and took pictures with our family until we suggested that he probably needed to get going. He made a huge impact on a 7 year old, made him truly understand that your worth in life is measured by how treat others. After that meeting several parents of younger children would tell us how much their kid loved Grant and couldn't wait to find him on the playground at lunch time. In 4th grade Grant would go visit his sisters 1st grade class at lunch but the kids would get too excited, they would lose their minds and run around until somebody got knocked over. Last year when he was voted "6th Grader of the year" by his teachers, they mentioned that they were especially impressed by how he interacts with the "special needs" kids, including them and making them feel like everyone else. I really don't think Grant would have the confidence to be this way if not for 10 minutes of kind attention from a great dude!
Post 487 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
sometimes its just the tiny little things that make the hugest impacts
Post 488 IP   flag post
259347 488 13
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute