Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper Age

Shouldn’t pressing taken care of this????7541

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Some need much more time and multiple pressings to "stay" and behave.

uggghhhhhhhh I know what you mean. There are some books out there that have come from the bowels of hellfire and refuse to stay put.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

uggghhhhhhhh I know what you mean. There are some books out there that have come from the bowels of hellfire and refuse to stay put.

Transformers 79 and 80 are two that I could live without.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be sure to send a 79 on my next pressing order for you to enjoy then Joey! lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
High Dollar Books..... Maybe

But I see pressing services as nothing more than a waste of time money grab on 90% of the books people send in.

I think many are baited by unrealistic expectations of these services that are nothing more than restoration work that has been accepted by the "Powers that be" to profit from.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

But I see pressing services as nothing more than a waste of time money grab on 90% of the books people send in.

I think many are baited by unrealistic expectations of these services that are nothing more than restoration work that has been accepted by the "Powers that be" to profit from.

Exactly! It's all the rage and causing a huge delay in TAt's which in turn is stripping the quality of service. I would think the press should be reserved for high value books that either are beat to hell and can be salvaged (say bringing a 2.5 up to a 4.0/4.5) or previously graded at say a 9.2/9.4 where the notes state defects as bends. The problem is I've sent high value books in that have come back 9.4 with light bends and resubmitted with a press only to have them come back 9.4 with light bends ...so it's kind'v irritating. If I hear one more time that it was due to shipping I'll scream
Post 30 IP   flag post

CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

What you say is true, to a certain degree. If an uneducated collector/flipper sends in books and says press them all, that is what the majority of people doing the pressing will do. If you are reputable and care about your customers, you will let them know (a quick email usually does it) that certain books wont benefit from a press or simply do not need it.

For those that concerned with TAT's weight your options and take all the factors into play as to where your books go to be pressed.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

What you say is true, to a certain degree. If an uneducated collector/flipper sends in books and says press them all, that is what the majority of people doing the pressing will do. If you are reputable and care about your customers, you will let them know (a quick email usually does it) that certain books wont benefit from a press or simply do not need it.

For those that concerned with TAT's weight your options and take all the factors into play as to where your books go to be pressed.

I've used you and I like your service...I just think we're losing sight of the discussion here. This isn't necessarily about fine tuning the number of suitable books for press or even who does it better. I think there's a great deal of uneducated collectors (including myself) when it comes to the press and I learn as I go. The only issue I have is that this has turned into a money maker that no one wants to miss out on, so the masses flock to press everything, the TAT's get bogged down and the companies do what all companies do : "yes sir, we can do that" even if they have to sacrifice quality somewhere. Competition is healthy, but it's also a beast and can cause spill over.

Light finger bends should not show up in grading after a press..period. If they do, I can only think of a few reasons why:
1) it wasnt pressed and the owner got porked - especially if he needed a 9.8 to clear profit and the only flaws are still light bends. Very specific example, but still very common.
2) the bends happened after the press (whether from handling in house or out house). It happens...it blows..but hey...plenty of books make 9.8 so it doesn't happen often and there's no real way to manage it.
3) most likely scenario : the books were pressed properly and because everyone's in a rush, they weren't held to assess reversion and 80% of the books are just pushed through the system . The TAT's are so far behind that reversion is inevitable and the press becomes nullified and the owner gets porked. No one is going to slow down ..just not going to happen...so the only viable option is to pick carefully, make sure there is true value in the press and send it to a guy you know for certain will hold on to it long enough to fix the bends (which means suck up the wait time and stop complaining about TATs) or pay extra for the 2 day (in which case, it better be a big book or by the time you're done shipping, pressing, slabbing and re-shipping, you've spent more on the book than you could get selling it "as is" raw)
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Quote:
Quote:

I've used you and I like your service...I just think we're losing sight of the discussion here. This isn't necessarily about fine tuning the number of suitable books for press or even who does it better. I think there's a great deal of uneducated collectors (including myself) when it comes to the press and I learn as I go. The only issue I have is that this has turned into a money maker that no one wants to miss out on, so the masses flock to press everything, the TAT's get bogged down and the companies do what all companies do : "yes sir, we can do that" even if they have to sacrifice quality somewhere. Competition is healthy, but it's also a beast and can cause spill over.

Light finger bends should not show up in grading after a press..period. If they do, I can only think of a few reasons why:
1) it wasnt pressed and the owner got porked - especially if he needed a 9.8 to clear profit and the only flaws are still light bends. Very specific example, but still very common.
2) the bends happened after the press (whether from handling in house or out house). It happens...it blows..but hey...plenty of books make 9.8 so it doesn't happen often and there's no real way to manage it.
3) most likely scenario : the books were pressed properly and because everyone's in a rush, they weren't held to assess reversion and 80% of the books are just pushed through the system . The TAT's are so far behind that reversion is inevitable and the press becomes nullified and the owner gets porked. No one is going to slow down ..just not going to happen...so the only viable option is to pick carefully, make sure there is true value in the press and send it to a guy you know for certain will hold on to it long enough to fix the bends (which means suck up the wait time and stop complaining about TATs) or pay extra for the 2 day (in which case, it better be a big book or by the time you're done shipping, pressing, slabbing and re-shipping, you've spent more on the book than you could get selling it "as is" raw)

You would be amazed at how hard it is to educate certain flippers/collectors. I once had a guy start sending me books asking if his books were in the 7.5 to 8.5 range. After looking them over I had to explain that creases, even in the white areas are still creases and will be downgraded accordingly. He refused to believe me and then complained when his books came back 4.5 to 5.0. Said it was my fault and had them sent to someone else...final results were the same. Needless to say he blasted both of us on social media. He made the list.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be sure to send a 79 on my next pressing order for you to enjoy then Joey! lol

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
hey - we should all do - thanks for the tip Joe :beer
Post 35 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You would be amazed at how hard it is to educate certain flippers/collectors. I once had a guy start sending me books asking if his books were in the 7.5 to 8.5 range. After looking them over I had to explain that creases, even in the white areas are still creases and will be downgraded accordingly. He refused to believe me and then complained when his books came back 4.5 to 5.0. Said it was my fault and had them sent to someone else...final results were the same. Needless to say he blasted both of us on social media. He made the list.

It's hard to convince people sometimes that pressing will not fix everything. It's not divine intervention.
Post 36 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Not all bends are created equal. Pressing is not a cure-all that magically makes 9.8s. Sometimes a defect will disappear, others, the same defect will just be improved.

I do have record of the books from the original post being pressed. We allow time for reversion, so it's very rare for it to show up after it leaves out office. If the user wants to send me a PM, I'd be happy to look at the problem further.
Post 37 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Is this some kind of obsession you have with me? Should I be concerned by this?
Post 38 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

Not all bends are created equal. Pressing is not a cure-all that magically makes 9.8s. Sometimes a defect will disappear, others, the same defect will just be improved.

I do have record of the books from the original post being pressed. We allow time for reversion, so it's very rare for it to show up after it leaves out office. If the user wants to send me a PM, I'd be happy to look at the problem further.

I PM you Steve thanks for taking the time to post on here.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Is this some kind of obsession you have with me? Should I be concerned by this?

when u become a gif you become immortal
Post 40 IP   flag post
Thanks Steve..appreciate the response.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is that “In-house” pressing is supposed to be more beneficial because it limits the amount of time from pressing to grading. Reversion can take place post grade in some cases, but who cares cause it is already slabbed.

Does CBCS call it in house pressing still? Cause technically it is no longer “in house”. New name suggestion: CBCS Cross State Pressing Service
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
My understanding is that “In-house” pressing is supposed to be more beneficial because it limits the amount of time from pressing to grading. Reversion can take place post grade in some cases, but who cares cause it is already slabbed.

Does CBCS call it in house pressing still? Cause technically it is no longer “in house”. New name suggestion: CBCS Cross State Pressing Service

Lol. Why would it limit the amount of time between pressing and grading if they also have to ship the package? Does in-house pressing reduce books TAT's? I seriously doubt so!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol. Why would it limit the amount of time between pressing and grading if they also have to ship the package? Does in-house pressing reduce books TAT's? I seriously doubt so!

For example you use 3rd party presser. They press and then mail the books to cgc. There is that added 1 week ship time and danger of damage during shipment. Versus in house CGC Pressing and grading. They are in the same building, so no shipping delays or danger of damage during said shipping.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For example you use 3rd party presser. They press and then mail the books to cgc. There is that added 1 week ship time and danger of damage during shipment. Versus in house CGC Pressing and grading. They are in the same building, so no shipping delays or danger of damage during said shipping.

I'm sorry to inform you that Steve Ricketts is still located in Florida so he also ships items for grading to Dallas so it takes either service the same time. Being it so I'd rather use a service I know and already trust like Josh Avery or Joey at CFP. That doesn't mean I don't think Steve Ricketts can do a great job but it does mean I have never used him and don't plan on doing it as I aready have people I know I can trust and trust is a big one in this industry, at least for me. Cost is also a factor.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What if the books were driven down, would that change anything in your equation?
Post 46 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics What, like driven by truck from Florida to Texas? Crazy...
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CFP_Comics What, like driven by truck from Florida to Texas? Crazy...

Think Joe is implying that he drives to CGC once a week to handle in submissions
Post 48 IP   flag post
601271 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?