Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper Age

Shouldn’t pressing taken care of this????7541

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I checked my order and my books are being shipped. I paid for pressing and cleaning and 3 of my books I’m wondering why didn’t the press I paid for through cbcs didn’t take care of these issues. I’m kinda not happy with these three. What do u all think?

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Reversion can happen. Odds are your books were good when they left the pressing office, but having books sit for months between pressing and grading will ensure that the reversion happens before grading as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer didn't even know reversion was a thing!!!!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Reversion can happen. Odds are your books were good when they left the pressing office, but having books sit for months between pressing and grading will ensure that the reversion happens before grading as well.

That can happen??? Never heard of that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
this is what I have a huge problem with. Almost every book I've had pressed has come back with light finger bends. What's the point? It's just another way for someone to dig their fingers into a piece of the pie. Not much irritates me, but paying to press and not having it remain "pressed" is far from acceptable. Since when can you offer a service and not be held accountable for it? Because either it wasnt pressed, it was pressed and reverted back or the bends came from the books being handled in house as they approach grading table. None of these are acceptable to me when im being charged for the service
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. Especially bunched corners and spine stress that does not break color.

Not only that, but pressing not always guaranteed to increase a grade either. Sometimes it can go the other way, too with spine stress and spine splits.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Yes. Especially bunched corners and spine stress that does not break color.

Not only that, but pressing not always guaranteed to increase a grade either. Sometimes it can go the other way, too with spine stress and spine splits.

right...but when the book comes back with light bends...and it was pressed in house...that's a problem
Post 7 IP   flag post
I wonder if I contact cbcs if they will do anything about it. What do u all think?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head If I press a book that has 50 defects, you can bet some of them will come back. It may take three presses for some books, and that takes time. Time to wait, time to press.

Businesses that press (I only do mine) often dont have the time for that, and they have customers bitching about TAT as well.

I’ve heard Joe@ CFP puts books on a shelf for a week after press to ensure reversion doesnt happen.

I’m sure the Ricketts has his own methods as well.

The only way to be 100% sure is if they are your own books and can look at them for years after
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
admittedly the TATs are so bad it's now an issue with reversion in house. The books should be graded as soon as they are pressed.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Shrew...I get it...I do...but most of us send in books where the only flaws are light bends and its the diff between a 9.6 and a 9.8.. so how can one justify a book coming back with the only remarks are basically light bends ? it's mind-blowing to me. if the book had 8 flaws then light bends become irrelevant. But if there's one thing that pressing should fix it's light bends.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Zombie_Head If I press a book that has 50 defects, you can bet some of them will come back. It may take three presses for some books, and that takes time. Time to wait, time to press.

Businesses that press (I only do mine) often dont have the time for that, and they have customers bitching about TAT as well.

I’ve heard Joe@ CFP puts books on a shelf for a week after press to ensure reversion doesnt happen.

The only way to be 100% sure is if they are your own books and can look at them for years after

I would understand if they had a lot of issues but they didn’t.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I’m wondering if those three where even pressed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
shipping from florida to texas is just adding more variables too
Post 14 IP   flag post
The other books looked good just these three just aggravates me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
The other books looked good just these three just aggravates me.

There is another way. Press with 2-day modern. No chance for the books to sit long after press.

I get it though, regardless of who what when why or how, it blows getting those notes on pressed books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
So should I contact them or do U think it won’t do any good.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I’d bet they would. Or rather, 2 years ago Im 100% sure they would. Idk now.

Some years back there was an in-between time of cfp and in-house pressing. The guy they used sucked. Books were rippled af. CBCS regraded my books for nothing.
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
admittedly the TATs are so bad it's now an issue with reversion in house. The books should be graded as soon as they are pressed.

So should it mean that only fast passed books or 2 day services would be applicable for in house pressing?

I have never used CBCS in house pressing and really doubt that I will now that I have learned that the pressing service stayed in Florida as it means that books need to be shipped out. I would rather use Josh Avery's pressing services or Joey at CFP if it means that shipping will be part of any pressing formula as I am familiar with the type of work I can expect from them. That would be top notch service even if they are backed up, you know why? Because they know to give good customer service to their clients otherwise they know clients will look for other options!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user

Paging Dr. Ricketts
Post 21 IP   flag post
I sent an e-mail to them let’s see what happens. Wish me luck.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The other theory is that defects that can be pressed out shouldn't take such a hit on grading. And let the collector/buyer decide if they prefer a 9.8 with slight finger bends or will pay more for a 9.8 w/o light finger bends...
Post 23 IP   flag post
but i thought 9.8s don't get graders newts
Post 24 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This can happen if the book is over/under hydrated or sits in a very hot environment too long between the pressing and actual grading. I let books sit a minimum of 7 days and check them again. Some need much more time and multiple pressings to "stay" and behave. And yes, it hammers TAT's for customers with stubborn books.

It is the main reason I no longer do on-site pressing.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Some need much more time and multiple pressings to "stay" and behave.

uggghhhhhhhh I know what you mean. There are some books out there that have come from the bowels of hellfire and refuse to stay put.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

uggghhhhhhhh I know what you mean. There are some books out there that have come from the bowels of hellfire and refuse to stay put.

Transformers 79 and 80 are two that I could live without.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Transformers 79 and 80 are two that I could live without.

I'll be sure to send a 79 on my next pressing order for you to enjoy then Joey! lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
High Dollar Books..... Maybe

But I see pressing services as nothing more than a waste of time money grab on 90% of the books people send in.

I think many are baited by unrealistic expectations of these services that are nothing more than restoration work that has been accepted by the "Powers that be" to profit from.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
High Dollar Books..... Maybe

But I see pressing services as nothing more than a waste of time money grab on 90% of the books people send in.

I think many are baited by unrealistic expectations of these services that are nothing more than restoration work that has been accepted by the "Powers that be" to profit from.

Exactly! It's all the rage and causing a huge delay in TAt's which in turn is stripping the quality of service. I would think the press should be reserved for high value books that either are beat to hell and can be salvaged (say bringing a 2.5 up to a 4.0/4.5) or previously graded at say a 9.2/9.4 where the notes state defects as bends. The problem is I've sent high value books in that have come back 9.4 with light bends and resubmitted with a press only to have them come back 9.4 with light bends ...so it's kind'v irritating. If I hear one more time that it was due to shipping I'll scream
Post 30 IP   flag post
597869 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?