Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grade this ASM #2997539

Collector BatCatMan private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, today I bought this copy of amazing spiderman 299.
I guess it can be a 7.5 or 8.0 with pressing and dry cleaning but i'm not sure.
What grade do you expect?

Thanks

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
pages are tanned but a pressing will definitely help a book like this one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
the page quality is the biggest issue for the condition of this book. it'll press out fine, i didn't see any major flags other than the creamy/off-white page color and bottom half darker than the top half. i'd hate to guess a grade but I'm in the 6.0-7.0 realm pre-press and 7.5-8.5 after press
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
The bigger question is...... Why would anybody waste money on any Pressing and/or cleaning services on this book in this condition in the first place? And to only end up with a 7.5-8.5? Just doesn't make any sense to me personally.

The book is any thing but rare and widely available in higher grades. I suggest spending the money on a high quality copy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
The bigger question is...... Why would anybody waste money on any Pressing and/or cleaning services on this book in this condition in the first place? And to only end up with a 7.5-8.5? Just doesn't make any sense to me personally.

The book is any thing but rare and widely available in higher grades. I suggest spending the money on a high quality copy.

Yes, obviously I will not spend money on pressing this comic. I will do it myself with care. I will also carefully clean the white areas of the cover. I think that after this, the comic will be much better and probably get a higher grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
By the way, I forgot to comment one thing.
It's me, or the right part of the "The amazing Spiderman" logo is slightly darker color from the rest of the title. Do you know if this is normal? It's strange.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@ZZXMAN hard to tell from that picture but it looks like fading to me.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
If it is fading it will take a pretty steep hit. My ASM 300 got hit hard with a light 1/4" fade that ran on the bottom of the book. If you took that out of the equation the book presented way better with more crisp edges and less spine ticks than my CGC 9.0
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The book is anything but rare and widely available in higher grades. I suggest spending the money on a high quality copy.

i have to agree why get that low grade book 10-15 for pressing & lets say 30 for slab + shipping & back that 50 dollars you could have put down on a better book. that could have been a 9.6 or better
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZXMAN
It's me, or the right part of the "The amazing Spiderman" logo is slightly darker color from the rest of the title. Do you know if this is normal? It's strange.

color fade / sun fade
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:

The book is anything but rare and widely available in higher grades. I suggest spending the money on a high quality copy.

i have to agree why get that low grade book 10-15 for pressing & lets say 30 for slab + shipping & back that 50 dollars you could have put down on a better book. that could have been a 9.6 or better

I've already said that obviously with this comic is not worth to send it for pressing. I prefer to try to do it myself at home. I've tried to press very cheap comics before and I didn't have any problems, so this time I think its worth to do it with this comic.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

color fade / sun fade

oh, then the comic can even be in a lower grade if we consider this, right?
Post 12 IP   flag post
if you have the means to do it yourself, then it's totally worth it. Yes, I am factoring in the sunfading as well.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
if you have the means to do it yourself, then it's totally worth it. Yes, I am factoring in the sunfading as well.

I disagree.... It is a modern book with a higher print run. Grade improvement seems to be the motivation here. Anything less than a 9.4 (Truthfully 9.6) is a waste of time and effort IMHO.

Obviously Im not a big fan of these "pressing" services and the unrealistic expectations that come along with the hype. IMHO it is a form of restoration that should be noted on any book that it has been performed on.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 I have seen people submit a lot worse than this book. But I have to agree that I would pick a book with better interior page quality. I disagree with you about the restoration part though.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Finally I decided to cancel the purchase I had made of this comic on eBay, because although I have not paid much for it, I prefer to buy another copy with a similar price but that will looks better than this one.
When I will do it, I will ask for your opinion again.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Finally I decided to cancel the purchase I had made of this comic on eBay, because although I have not paid much for it, I prefer to buy another copy with a similar price but that will looks better than this one.

How did you cancel a purchase on ebay? Had you not committed to buying the comic?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:

How did you cancel a purchase on ebay? Had you not committed to buying the comic?

Yes, but I explained to the seller that I had not noticed that the pages were cream on the bottom and that the cover was slightly discolored on the right side. He understood it and told me that there wasn't any problem to cancel my purchase, so he canceled it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601485 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?