Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
my 181 9.0 is in the Gen 1 ( I believe that's the slab) where there's no inner well. I pulled it out the other day and noticed the book is being crushed and beginning to warp. CGC offered to re-slab for free , but Im afraid of these rings on such a high value book. However, I cant risk permanent damage either...things are getting ridiculous...Im just sitting on it until they can figure out a feasible solution

Sounds like you have a creep engine. I'd deal with the rings over risk of damage.

yeah..I know you're right...just such a pain...the thought of shipping and reshipping when its sitting safe in my closet is frustrating. It's my biggest book so I dont like letting it leave the nest. But it's clearly getting worse so I need to deal with it
If its a creep engine it isn't sitting safe in your closet...it is slowly being twisted and crushed badly.I have a TOS 73 that is doing the same thing...ugh

nothing worse than taking high value book (relatively speaking - it's one of my most expensive books) and taking the time and money to have it protected in a slab, just to have it destroyed in said slab when it was in better shape and safer raw....and I paid to have it destroyed. wtf

Now its in a box ready to ship on Monday and chance getting crushed, stolen or dropped all over again. Cant crack the slab to "save" it because it'll never hit 9.0 with this warping and may not even make it with a press (which if I have done, will require a re-grade I'm sure). Just going to hope the damage is temporary and a proper slab will "flatten" it back out over time

In the middle of this right now with my x-men 4...I did get my shipping cost reimbursed by calling accounting directly. I can PM you the # if you want.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks GAC! Got your PM..good looking out brother
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher - Good luck, Darrin. Hope it all works out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks GAC! Got your PM..good looking out brother

anytime!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Watcher - Good luck, Darrin. Hope it all works out.

Thanks!
Post 30 IP   flag post

surprise surprise!

I got my CGC reholdering order back today and NO NEWTON RINGS...yay!!!

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
surprise surprise!

I got my CGC reholdering order back today and NO NEWTON RINGS...yay!!!

Good news since this appears to be the only option at NYCC.
Post 32 IP   flag post
sweet! Is that the larger slab?
Post 33 IP   flag post
and I have a question about NRs....havent tried it, but if the slab has leeway on the sides (I assume they still do)...would sliding a thin strip of clear plastic (maybe 1cm wide) through the middle of the slab (left to right) relieve the contact pressure causing the rings? without placing indentation lines on the book of course. Or maybe even one at the top and one at the bottom so it doesn't catch your eye...I guess a couple drinks has me throwing caution to the wind but it's Friday night and Im home online in my comic book group so I'm not sure how crazy I'm being. My 20 yr old self would be ashamed to know me
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
sweet! Is that the larger slab?

its a thicker slab.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
and I have a question about NRs....havent tried it, but if the slab has leeway on the sides (I assume they still do)...would sliding a thin strip of clear plastic (maybe 1cm wide) through the middle of the slab (left to right) relieve the contact pressure causing the rings? without placing indentation lines on the book of course. Or maybe even one at the top and one at the bottom so it doesn't catch your eye...I guess a couple drinks has me throwing caution to the wind but it's Friday night and Im home online in my comic book group so I'm not sure how crazy I'm being. My 20 yr old self would be ashamed to know me

I suppose that would work in theory but the inner well could possibly bulge in the center (if you put pieces of plastic at the top and bottom) or bulge at the top and bottom (if you put one piece of plastic in the center). You'd have the be careful that doesn't happen.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Don’t do something you are going to regret....

again.

These issues should only be handed by trained professionals.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
This one was totally heartbreaking. You could see the rainbow straight on.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Uh man, and they're worst around her boobs!

Why do people keep sending things to cgc?!

Oh yes...Far better TATs, more favorable grading and obviously higher return on investment...

Sorry dude!

Have you considered listing your copy and buying a cbcs graded 9.6 with the cash?
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Drogio - I already sold it. I have a 9.8 already. This was just a great looking raw copy I found out at a con.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
@Drogio - I already sold it. I have a 9.8 already. This was just a great looking raw copy I found out at a con.

Any mention/backlash about the rings?
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Gaard - no, because I mentioned them and used that photo in the listing. Probably lost $100 or so because of the crappy rings.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
As a novice to CGC, someone who has never sent in a comic to be graded...I find those newton rings to be an eye sore!
Post 44 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
how can rings be avoided? is it by using a thicker plastic case?
Post 45 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke - they don’t happen in the cases with the recessed inner well; they happen in the cases that have the two seams along the side. I am requesting the inner well case whenever I submit from now on.
Post 46 IP   flag post
how do u do that?
Post 47 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke put a post it note in with the books. Didn’t say they would necessarily honor my request. 😂
Post 48 IP   flag post

Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this post in the CGC forum. I'm following it to see what king of replies it gets. Apparently the post was originally buried in a another thread
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/440951-newton-rings/
Post 50 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helric1
I saw this post in the CGC forum. I'm following it to see what king of replies it gets. Apparently the post was originally buried in a another thread
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/440951-newton-rings/

Keep us posted. CGC's "SOTA" holders are destined to make them Lord of the Newton Rings.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok - to continue a conversation that was started on the "New to your collection #3" thread, here are the pics and the screenshot I shared. These are dealing with newton rings and a lack of an inner well with CGC slabs.

Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I got 4 flip books back last week. Each has a very small amount on the back cover. They have made good progress on the problem, but it is not quite solved yet
Post 53 IP   flag post
Newton Rings

Post 54 IP   flag post
Just sent my 181 9.0 in for re-slab...let's see how it comes back since it's going up for sale upon delivery. gonna be bummed if I have to deal with disgruntled buyers on that big a purchase
Post 55 IP   flag post
600728 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?