Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
So we have all heard about them and know how distracting they can be. But today I saw a comic with the worst, most distracting Newton Rings I have seen. So I thought it might be fun to share some of the worst you have come across:

Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
dark covers reveal newton rings the most. I can not believe they dont change that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I want to see a variant cover that simulates Newton ring effect; call it the CGC Variant.
Then when CGC slabs it there are no issues.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a couple I was watching on ebay. I was really surprised how bad these were as they are not dark covers

Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I want to see a variant cover that simulates Newton ring effect; call it the CGC Variant.
Then when CGC slabs it there are no issues.

Ha!! Awesome!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my entry for Newton Rings.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Dang. I just submitted a black cover book to cgc. I’m expecting some level of Newton rings, but I’ll be pissed if it comes back that bad.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I just got back a Batman 428 that was reslabbed. Was worried it'd come back with the rings everywhere, but no rings to be found! Two others came back too both look ring free.

It's amazing how much the effect can vary...even with the same book...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Do they also get rings on magazine sizes?? I have a few I'd like to slab but CBCS doesn't offer that size
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Do they also get rings on magazine sizes?? I have a few I'd like to slab but CBCS doesn't offer that size

CGC's magazine holder is generation 1. Sealed at the four corner posts, not all along the top, bottom and sides

Newton Rings are caused by the plastic of the inner and outer holder touching. You might still see Newton Rings on Magazines. But they are easy to eliminate on the Generation 1 holder. Flex the side open slightly and insert a piece of paper to push the two plastics (inner and outer holder) apart. No more Newton Rings.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
my 181 9.0 is in the Gen 1 ( I believe that's the slab) where there's no inner well. I pulled it out the other day and noticed the book is being crushed and beginning to warp. CGC offered to re-slab for free , but Im afraid of these rings on such a high value book. However, I cant risk permanent damage either...things are getting ridiculous...Im just sitting on it until they can figure out a feasible solution
Post 11 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
It’s not mine but it was sent to me by mistake from an eBay purchase.
As I held this slab beholding the marred beauty, I realized I am willing to wait out CBCS’ TAT’s.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
my 181 9.0 is in the Gen 1 ( I believe that's the slab) where there's no inner well. I pulled it out the other day and noticed the book is being crushed and beginning to warp. CGC offered to re-slab for free , but Im afraid of these rings on such a high value book. However, I cant risk permanent damage either...things are getting ridiculous...Im just sitting on it until they can figure out a feasible solution

Sounds like you have a creep engine. I'd deal with the rings over risk of damage.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

Sounds like you have a creep engine. I'd deal with the rings over risk of damage.

yeah..I know you're right...just such a pain...the thought of shipping and reshipping when its sitting safe in my closet is frustrating. It's my biggest book so I dont like letting it leave the nest. But it's clearly getting worse so I need to deal with it
Post 14 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
uggghh

Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Take a pic of a book with light shining directly on it. This is what you get 🤣

CGC for resale, great. For my PC? Hells NO.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah..I know you're right...just such a pain...the thought of shipping and reshipping when its sitting safe in my closet is frustrating. It's my biggest book so I dont like letting it leave the nest. But it's clearly getting worse so I need to deal with it

CGC will reholder Generation 2 holders with no inner well at no cost. In my experience it is complicated and tiresome to get CGC to reimburse postage costs of shipping to them (usually have to call accounting, sometimes multiple calls) but they will reholder the book and return ship it at no cost.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/5383/
Post 17 IP   flag post
If it's something you're going to keep long term id eat the cost and possible grade hit and send it to cbcs. Press and fast track.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
If it's something you're going to keep long term id eat the cost and possible grade hit and send it to cbcs. Press and fast track.

can't take the chance on the grade hit..especially now that its been folded up on itself. id rather get it out of this slab...and hold on to it with the newton rings until they fix the issue and then I can submit one last time for a suitable slab. definitely a pain in the ...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

can't take the chance on the grade hit..especially now that its been folded up on itself. id rather get it out of this slab...and hold on to it with the newton rings until they fix the issue and then I can submit one last time for a suitable slab. definitely a pain in the ...

CGC has fixed the issue of the books getting wavy in the holder. And they will reholder for free. You can likely avoid any Newton Rings with a reholder by asking that they encapsulate the book using a outer holder that is for a thicker, giant size or Golden age book. This keeps the plastics from touching.

If you wait until CGC fixes the Newton ring problem you will be waiting for a very long time. CGC has stated that Newton rings are normal and not a defect. They do not believe it needs to be fixed, they do not plan to fix it,
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Take a pic of a book with light shining directly on it. This is what you get 🤣

CGC for resale, great. For my PC? Hells NO.

I think the Newton Rings vastly improve Rob Liefeld covers...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:

CGC has fixed the issue of the books getting wavy in the holder. And they will reholder for free. You can likely avoid any Newton Rings with a reholder by asking that they encapsulate the book using a outer holder that is for a thicker, giant size or Golden age book. This keeps the plastics from touching.

If you wait until CGC fixes the Newton ring problem you will be waiting for a very long time. CGC has stated that Newton rings are normal and not a defect. They do not believe it needs to be fixed, they do not plan to fix it,

good idea...thanks
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@DJC_II absolutely
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If its a creep engine it isn't sitting safe in your closet...it is slowly being twisted and crushed badly.I have a TOS 73 that is doing the same thing...ugh
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If its a creep engine it isn't sitting safe in your closet...it is slowly being twisted and crushed badly.I have a TOS 73 that is doing the same thing...ugh

nothing worse than taking high value book (relatively speaking - it's one of my most expensive books) and taking the time and money to have it protected in a slab, just to have it destroyed in said slab when it was in better shape and safer raw....and I paid to have it destroyed. wtf

Now its in a box ready to ship on Monday and chance getting crushed, stolen or dropped all over again. Cant crack the slab to "save" it because it'll never hit 9.0 with this warping and may not even make it with a press (which if I have done, will require a re-grade I'm sure). Just going to hope the damage is temporary and a proper slab will "flatten" it back out over time
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nothing worse than taking high value book (relatively speaking - it's one of my most expensive books) and taking the time and money to have it protected in a slab, just to have it destroyed in said slab when it was in better shape and safer raw....and I paid to have it destroyed. wtf

Now its in a box ready to ship on Monday and chance getting crushed, stolen or dropped all over again. Cant crack the slab to "save" it because it'll never hit 9.0 with this warping and may not even make it with a press (which if I have done, will require a re-grade I'm sure). Just going to hope the damage is temporary and a proper slab will "flatten" it back out over time

In the middle of this right now with my x-men 4...I did get my shipping cost reimbursed by calling accounting directly. I can PM you the # if you want.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks GAC! Got your PM..good looking out brother
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher - Good luck, Darrin. Hope it all works out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks GAC! Got your PM..good looking out brother

anytime!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Watcher - Good luck, Darrin. Hope it all works out.

Thanks!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601347 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?