Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Congratulations DC, you played yourself(Grumpy, sort of old man, post)7467

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I have found very few things as enraging as what DC has done with this "controversy" surrounding Batman damned #1. They promoted a book to media showing one panel of a shadowy bat-dick, ginning up the interest, then they said "oh golly, we better edit that out in the future" locking in the speculative market. This book is now selling on eBay for almost $100. I think this is the worst part of this hobby. How many people that bought up all these actually are regular comic readers? It is extremely unfortunate that in order to generate interest in a product one panel of a bat wang is what as used instead of the creators. I wonder what bermejo thinks that he did a book with fantastic art and all people can focus on is the bat-dong. Azarello is one of the best writers around, do you think he wrote in the script, make sure you focus on the baterwang? This is ridiculous. I wanted to read it, but the speculation and all the media killed the whole thing for me, maybe I'll get the collection, but I am sure as sh@t not paying 70 plus for a book from last week....and seeing stuff like this since I started in the early 80s, there is no way, that it stays that high. If I'm wrong you can have 5 polybagged copies of xforce #1, my 7 copies of xmen #1, my polybagged Spiderman #1, my death os superman, my return of superman, and...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
I am done with DC and it has nothing to do with this book
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Because it has nudity?Thats insane.I purchased the comic for its cover(1A)and it a large size cover.They all made such a big thing 😂when Spiderman had nudity and price went ☝.Nudity shouldn't scare everyone you should enjoy it.Its nature.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@comicsforme its the world we are in there is hundreds of comics with nudity,
but if DC or MARVEL does it. It becomes a big deal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Because it has nudity?Thats insane.I purchased the comic for its cover(1A)and it a large size cover.They all made such a big thing 😂when Spiderman had nudity and price went ☝.Nudity shouldn't scare everyone you should enjoy it.Its nature.

Witch!!!!witch!!!! Puritan leaders say nudity is wrong!!!Witch!!!

My wifes great grandmother was burnt alive in Salem....now it was a house fire like 60yrs ago...still...Witch!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
My brother was just saying to me earlier today..."I still don't see how it is necessary though to tell a story...unless his penis is somehow part of the plot!" I responded by saying..."Movies have nudity all the time and it is not a necessary part of the plot".

Whether this was all an intentional gimmick or not, the book has great story and art. If it was a gimmick we are all doing exactly what DC wants...talking, talking, talking!
Post 6 IP   flag post
In TX they would hang me but if i moved to Florida nudity in your frount yard is legal.My wife whats to move.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I just ordered 2 more at my comic store and for only $6.99 not every one is freaking out.1A and 1B covers
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
can we please have 5 more batman damned threads on page 1
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
DC did NOTHING wrong here. Not a damn thing. If anything, DC did really well with this release in every phase.

It is the comic book COLLECTORS that are the idiots here. Yeah. Us.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
I guess you either have the book and grin at its worth or you don't and you sulk. We all buy key issues for profit. I give two shlocks about the nudity. Wife is happy I netted a potential $400+ with 4 copies. The art is good in the book..all joking aside. Let it rest. I will buy the next two issues to finish out the story.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Shrewbeer is 100% correct
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

yeah, I didn't catch that at first...I haven't been very active in the world of forum bitching recently. Imma step my game up
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
All of the publishers play themselves.....Marvel and Dc with their constant huge event reinventing of entire teams, or characters and massive relaunches, to the multiple covers, gimmicks and variants. Witness Marvel and its more than 20 versions of Fantastic Four 1 recently. I applaud DC at least creating an adult label separate in size and format for adults only to do this. Is it a ploy or gimmick? No more so than cover variants, deaths, rebirths, and dozens of other stunts they regularly engage in.
I am getting a copy yes,but my interest is for the Zatanna appearance....otherwise I would not be so interested. As far as the resale and flipping for profit happening, you cannot blame DC for what the aftermarket does....people will always find a way to cash in on hype . If you want to begrudge anyone, make it the guy who knows little about comics but sees all the excitement and pops up long enough to buy eight copies to someday fund his kids college education....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector billkruser5 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I paid $6.99 for cover A and had it on my pull list ever since they released the DC Black Label thing. Great story so far. But yep, my copy is listed on eBay. If someone wants to give me $80+ for my copy, then thank you. I will take $6.99 and put it towards the second print that’s edited because I really don’t care. As for the “profits”, I’m sure I will blow that money on some other limited variant.
I’m honestly more bummed that the damn Damned book doesn’t fit in my comic book boxes anyway.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
In TX they would hang me but if i moved to Florida nudity in your frount yard is legal.My wife whats to move.

True, being hung in TX is either a matter of tradition or pride, ...depending on the definition of hung.

OTOH, I doubt moving into CGC territory will get'cha faster TAT even if you stand nude in your front yard.
Post 16 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
So I guess DC is trying to give it a second shot. Not sure if its possible after the strong first shot, they may have nothing left and come up empty with the second shot. I am talking about Batman Damned 1#
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I've avoided this whole topic. I rarely buy moderns, so I don't care what they do.
One thing that really baffles me is that comic sales are desperately low across all publishers unless they do some kind of gimmick to artificially bump the numbers. In these times of low sales, it is wise to send out a message to consumers that comics are not suitable for children? The title alone would be a concern if I was a parent. I realize that mostly adult males buy comics, but I still wonder if the message they sent out to the general public was wise. My mother has no interest in comics, but she was aware of this "exposure" through the newspaper.

I'm going to go back to being silent about it. Just wanted to toss my opinion out there.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Almost feels like bleeding cool in here...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Mike Smith sounds like a delusional delight.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just ordered 2 more at my comic store and for only $6.99 not every one is freaking out.1A and 1B covers

Can you please tell me the name of your comic store? I would love to order two also.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Glad you all got your copies and are selling them for $80+ or some other ridiculous amount. I passed on 10 or more copies last Wednesday thinking since I had pre-ordered it prior to FOC I was guaranteed a copy...yet I'm still waiting for the online retailer to send me notice it has shipped or an explanation why they haven't shipped it and all were gone by Friday when my lcs opened....I bet they ship this coming Wednesday's order before I get my answer as to wtf is going on...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
DC did NOTHING wrong here. Not a damn thing. If anything, DC did really well with this release in every phase.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this one. They're still a**holes for the "Batman Wedding" crap, but this one? I disagree with the OP, the art is so subtle and obscure, I don't think they realized the headlines that would occur. I think they were as surprised as anyone who read it before all the news stories came out.

Of course, that's just a guess, based on only one data point. (The LCS owner, who got a proof copy a month or two ago.)
Post 24 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Mike Smith sounds like a delusional delight.

thank you so much. i am going to go ahead and take this deal. let me take out my asm 9.8 and overnight it to him. oh boy, such an amazing deal.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Prices are still going crazy.I was able to get 1a and 1b of to NYCC to get ss & graded from a freind.1a ss from Bermejo and Azzarello and 1b ss from the two plus Lee.This will be nice and i still keep my 3 other covers at home and much,much cheaper than the ones on ebay.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Prices are still going crazy.I was able to get 1a and 1b of to NYCC to get ss & graded from a freind.1a ss from Bermejo and Azzarello and 1b ss from the two plus Lee.This will be nice and i still keep my 3 other covers at home and much,much cheaper than the ones on ebay.

That's a great idea. I should look around for a facilitator (which I've never done).
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this one. They're still a**holes for the "Batman Wedding" crap, but this one? I disagree with the OP, the art is so subtle and obscure, I don't think they realized the headlines that would occur. I think they were as surprised as anyone who read it before all the news stories came out.

Of course, that's just a guess, based on only one data point. (The LCS owner, who got a proof copy a month or two ago.)

I agree with all the above. DC did everything correct on this. As has been discussed in these forums, the customer is always right. So DC povided a mature book because they felt there was a demand, there was some backlash from other potential customers and they agreed to provide a book sans Wang. It's the customers who are going bat-sh!t crazy and driving up the price. DC has just been reacting to the customer response.

And as KaptainMyke pointed out there are like 10 threads about the book right now. I have yet to see a single thread about the return of Wolverine. So going with there is no such thing as bad publicity, I would say DC is on top of the game right now.

As for the actual nudity, I quickly read the book and had to go back and find the panels with the Wang because I missed it the first time through. It was that subtle.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974

As for the actual nudity, I quickly read the book and had to go back and find the panels with the Wang because I missed it the first time through. It was that subtle.

Well that will be a hit to Bat's ego
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974

Well that will be a hit to Bat's ego

To be fair, it was probably cold in the batcave.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600729 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?