Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
Im kind of new to slabbed books and I only have about 20 so this might be a normal thing. I submitted my Amazing Spider-Man 300 to CBCS in Sept of 16. I was looking at it over the weekend and on the left side it didn't feel as smooth as the right. I looked at it more and found that I could pull it apart a little. Its not a whole lot and the top and bottom still seem secure. Its right in the middle of the left side. I cant pull it apart enough to touch or move the book. To me it feels like there was some glue or something on the right side and not the left. This is a copy that one day I might end up selling down the road. Should I submitted it back to CBCS for a re holder, or would it be ok to leave how it is. I didn't know if it would hurt the book at all or if someone who would end up buying it wouldn't because of that. Or is this somewhat normal for graded books. Thanks for the help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have a picture of it by any chance?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
The little rough patch on the side is normal (where they break the slab out of the mold I believe).
The sides should be able to come apart a bit (both CBCS and CGC). I can't remember the reason behind it (someone will fill in/correct me I'm sure) but I think it is again just a normal part of the slab design and that the books are supposed to be able to breath (off gassing??)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Do you have a picture of it by any chance?
Ill take a few when I get home.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
The little rough patch on the side is normal (where they break the slab out of the mold I believe).
The sides should be able to come apart a bit (both CBCS and CGC). I can't remember the reason behind it (someone will fill in/correct me I'm sure) but I think it is again just a normal part of the slab design and that the books are supposed to be able to breath (off gassing??)
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't tell if it was normal or not. From what Im hearing it might not be a big issue.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
is this whqat your talking about
What are these marks on the sides of my slab?

(photo courtesy of forum member b00ch)

Those are the result of the manufacturing process of the cases. They are a normal part of the case and are quite common. They are not a defect and they do not harm the integrity of the case.
clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
is this whqat your talking about
What are these marks on the sides of my slab?

(photo courtesy of forum member b00ch)

Those are the result of the manufacturing process of the cases. They are a normal part of the case and are quite common. They are not a defect and they do not harm the integrity of the case.
clickable text

Yea mine looks a little like that but I can pull it apart a little. It feels like the top and the bottom are secure but the middle I can pull apart. I just didn't know if it was normal or not.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Gamecube2482 - It’s all good. The plastic cases get manufacturing marks from the injection molding process. As stated, the cases are not sealed, they need to allow the comics to “breathe” and they are definitely not waterproof.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I don't think the current CGC cases do come apart like that (at least none of mine do) since they were designed to hold the book in place by pressure alone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Think Cgc changed that up a little. Could b wrong
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
CGC now uses an inner well after the creep engine backlash but the outer shells are unchanged. The pressure-focused design is the main cause of the Newton ring effect.
Post 11 IP   flag post
601452 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?