Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Hope for DC Black Label7463

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Concerning Batman Damned #1, I'm going to throw a curve ball in here. Quite honestly, I could care less about a penis being shown in a comic book. I've always loved art, and nudity (female and male) is a large part of it. I have taken art classes with a nude model. Quite honestly, I believe Americans are too uptight about sexuality in general. But the uproar caused by the art, got me to look closer at what DC was doing.

What I like is:
1) these are going to be limited series (3-7 issues each from what I've seen so far).
2) They are letting the writers and artists be creative with the characters.
3) These are going to be stories outside of the DC continuity.

In other words, I don't need to know what happened to Batman on page 12 of a comic two years ago to enjoy them.

Quite honestly, what DC is doing intrigues me. I've never been a big fan of DC superheroes, but I've always enjoyed them when I've read them. This is a great "jump in" opportunity for people like me, and I'm doing it. I actually lucked out and was able to order Batman Damned #1 for $6.99 plus shipping. I actually would wait for a reprint (without the penis) to jump in if I had to buy one now.

I've been looking at getting back into modern comics for some time. Marvel lost me with all their rebranding of the characters I grew up with. When you change something as significant as a person's race or gender, GIVE THEM A NEW NAME!!! At the very least, make him or her a jr.!!! And for a while, I tried indies. I found some great series that way, but nothing ongoing and nothing easily available. The ones I truly enjoyed were hardly ever previewed and the heavily previewed ones, I really didn't care for.

So, in short, I'm looking forward to this and I hope that DC does not disappoint!! I hope this ends up being a modern day DC equivalent to Warren magazines. Time will tell.

If anyone is interested, here is the DC Black Label list that I have composed so far:

DC Black label release dates:

BATMAN: DAMNED #1 – September 19, 2018 (bimonthly, three issues)
SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #1 – November, 2018 (bimonthly, three issues)
THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1 – December, 2018 (seven issues)

No release date yet:

THREE JOKERS - Geoff Johns, Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson (three issues)
WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS - Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Jimenez
WONDER WOMAN: DIANA’S DAUGHTER (working title) - Greg Rucka

Series being reprinted to BL:

All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
Batman: Dark Knight: Master Race by Frank Miller
Batman: White Knight by Sean Murphy
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
in addition to Dark Knight and White Knight, I thought there was one called .....Hard Knight.......
Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the next one. I liked that the book had a dark knight returns vibe to it.

I can see Wonder Woman following the same vein. but it will be interesting to see what they do with Superman, the one of the trinity who is not a gritty warrior.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still confused as to why there's so much buzz about a penis being shown. Is it possible that all the people making such a big deal about it never read Watchmen?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@KYoung_1974 If BD #1 is any good, I'm sure I'll be in for all 3. As for the rest, I figure I'll at least buy each #1 as they come out (or pre-order) and go from there on a per title basis.

I'm hoping they do something unique with Superman. With a title like "Superman Year One", it kind of lets the imagination wander a bit. Here's the promo I found for it:

I'm a bit skeptical as it reads like they are just embellishing on the origin story, but you never know.

And "The Other History..." series I'm not holding too much hope for. It sounds like it could be a pc propaganda series. Like I said, I'll get #1, but this is one I seriously doubt I will follow.

Here is the best overall article that I've read on DC Black Label.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@TimBildhauser they probably haven't read Watchmen. And honestly, I don't get it either. People are acting like high school aged kids about it. They'll call it everything except a penis. It's at times like this that I am reminded of the movie "Idiocracy".
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like the art and the penis panels are gratuitous. It's not like they are telling an adaptation of the John Wayne Bobbitt story.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
I'm still confused as to why there's so much buzz about a penis being shown. Is it possible that all the people making such a big deal about it never read Watchmen?

I remember going to the Watchmen movie and every time Dr. Manhatten's junk was on screen the theatre would erupt into giggles. This was an 1130pm show packed with (mostly) adults. The guy sitting next to me was having such a hard time not laughing I had to lean over and ask if he had never seen one before.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
So I think this will work. All titles can’t be oversized can they? Or was just this first issue of Batman damned.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223
So I think this will work. All titles can’t be oversized can they? Or was just this first issue of Batman damned.

That was one major question I had also. I have not been able to find a definitive answer on that one. From what I've been able to find out, the next DC Black Label to be released is BD #2 on November 21st. Superman Year One was supposed to come out in November also, but I didn't find it listed in the previews. But the only preview selections that I use are the ones on MyComicShop. I'd assume it is a complete list, but I may be wrong.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
The larger format may hurt it. But I guess will see when 2 and Superman year one comes out.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

Yep, they have obviously never seen the big blue atomic dong
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I actually really like the larger format. Not ideal for storage I understand and I might regret it if I end up picking up more issues (I will read the Batman Damned series for sure). But I think the size gives the book a premium (mature) look. Just my 2cents.

It'll be interesting to see where DC goes with this.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Why are they "reprinting" Batman: Year One? Or Kingdom Come? They've been in constant print since they came out. Hell, they both already have an Absolute edition, which is supposed to be the grandest of deluxe printings. (Although I did hear that the Absolute Year One was kind of crap.)

So where are they going with the Black Label reprint? Are they adding R-rated material that was cut from the original? Seems very strange that they would reprint these.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Why are they "reprinting" Batman: Year One? Or Kingdom Come? They've been in constant print since they came out. Hell, they both already have an Absolute edition, which is supposed to be the grandest of deluxe printings. (Although I did hear that the Absolute Year One was kind of crap.)

So where are they going with the Black Label reprint? Are they adding R-rated material that was cut from the original? Seems very strange that they would reprint these.

You know the reason. To make money. There are completist out there that will have to have it. Plus, if all BL books are in the large format, and these get reprinted in that size, then it will be "new".
Post 16 IP   flag post
I've been doing some more digging and it appears that DC plans on using the large size for most of the Black Label titles. In the Bleeding cool article, they cover an interview with DC President Dan Didio. In it, he mentions that some titles will be large format and some will be regular sized. I ordered a copy of the Batman: White Knight Special Edition DC Black Label that also came out last week. That one appears to be modern comic book size.

Here is the Bleeding Cool article. The video at the end is a good quick watch to get a feel of what DC is doing in general. The interview takes up about the first 10 minutes. I honestly stopped watching after that as it appeared to be a preview of DC comics being released that week in July.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

It sounds like the reprints will be TPBs. They did a one issue reprint of White Knight for Batman Day, but the Black Label TPB is supposed to come out October 3rd from what I've seen.

As for adding R rated material, it sounds like that was the original intent. Supposedly, the BL White Knight was going to have an uncensored version of the Joker/Harley love scene. But it sounds like DC changed that. It should be interesting to see what shows up next week. Here is the article on that.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

It sounds like the reprints will be TPBs. They did a one issue reprint of White Knight for Batman Day, but the Black Label TPB is supposed to come out October 3rd from what I've seen.

As for adding R rated material, it sounds like that was the original intent. Supposedly, the BL White Knight was going to have an uncensored version of the Joker/Harley love scene. But it sounds like DC changed that. It should be interesting to see what shows up next week. Here is the article on that.

So to be clear, DC is not changing nor adding anything to these stories. They will be a regular reprint of the same exact material, art, storyline, etc, with the one difference being they will be Black Labels? Is that correct?

Sounds stupid and lame if thats the case.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

So to be clear, DC is not changing nor adding anything to these stories. They will be a regular reprint of the same exact material, art, storyline, etc, with the one difference being they will be Black Labels? Is that correct?

Sounds stupid and lame if thats the case.

Yeah, that's the way it sounds ... tpbs of those existing titles with a DC Black Label logo. And yeah, I don't see the reason why, unless they plan on expanding from those storylines in the future (i.e. - Batman: White Knight part 2).
Post 20 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
If DC plans to re-release all of those classics under the Black Label line then I want to see additional content, otherwise what is the point? I would not re-buy something like Batman Year One just because they slap a BL tag on the book!

I like the larger size format in Batman Damned and disappointed to hear that not all the other series will be released this way. I assume those printed in standard comic form will be much less than $6.99??
Post 21 IP   flag post
600813 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?