Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch7457

Collector RTSUnlimited private msg quote post Address this user

Fly Fishing in Alaska from a couple years ago.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Today was a very good day.

Post 202 IP   flag post

Post 203 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I should check...Rainbows should be running!!!
Post 204 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
im not a fisherman myself and offer I know nothing of the hobby itself except what little fishing I did with my father here and there mostly for channel cats and drum and the like but I did want to ask...and no offense, im just learning here is all....

Do you keep the ones you catch or is this just catching for fun and releasing? is there a size where you say okay that ones going home or under that its released?
Do you target like only bass or is the process more opportunistic and you take what nature throws your way pretty much?
I guess it makes me wonder if you are catching bass, how likely is it you will find catfish or channel in the same spot?
has any of you ever wrestled with a six foot long river gar on a rainy muddy riverbank, at midnight in the pitch dark while it was pouring rain...that's my only unique fishing story I guess..thought I had caught myself a monster and once I saw it, I knew I was correct, those things are scary and lethal
Post 205 IP   flag post

@Darkseid_of_town Occasionally I'll keep trout for eating. Mostly I catch and release. In PA it legally has to be 7" to keep. I don't bother unless 12 or over. Everything else is catch and release.

It is very possible to catch other fish while going for one in particular. For example the other day I went trout fishing using a rooster tail spinner. You can see a few posts back I got quite a variety. Another well known culprit, especially when bass fishing, are chain pickerel, pike, and musky. These are also predatory fish and will go after the same bait fish or lures you would use for bass. Specifically for your question, catfish may be in the same area and MAY take your bait or lure but the ones aforementioned are more likely.

Never caught a gar. Would love to though.
Post 206 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town - Pretty much what @Frontier2Xterra said. I mostly target Largemouth Bass when fishing freshwater ponds, lakes, and rivers. But I frequently catch other species, like chain pickerel, when I am bass fishing. If I am in a body of water that includes Smallmouth Bass, I may downsize my lure a little bit and fish deeper and rockier areas than if I was seeking just Largemouths. And if I am on a body of water that has Northern Pike, I would switch to larger and possibly flashier baits. If you throw a small spinner, you can catch a wide variety of fish - from panfish, to trout, to bass, etc. I pretty much always use artificial lures instead of live bait, with the exception being that I use shiners when ice fishing. I rarely keep any fresh fish to eat, unless they are likely to die when released (for example, a gill was damaged by a lure.) When saltwater fishing, I usually keep fish that meet the state minimum requirements for that species. Most of the time if I want fish to eat I go to a store or restaurant.
I have seen Alligator Gars in ponds in the Florida Everglades, but haven’t fished for them. I have also had Needle-nose Gars as aquarium pets decades ago. I have caught a few large snapping turtles by accident over the years, have had owls silently swoop down and grab my surface plugs a few times (thankfully they dropped them without getting hooked), and even accidentally hooked a river otter in a Maine lake once.
PS - I used to bottom fish for catfish (brown bullhead) years ago with live worms as bait. Unfortunately RI ponds don’t hold giant channel catfish.
Post 207 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
@Darkseid_of_town Occasionally I'll keep trout for eating. Mostly I catch and release. In PA it legally has to be 7" to keep. I don't bother unless 12 or over. Everything else is catch and release.

It is very possible to catch other fish while going for one in particular. For example the other day I went trout fishing using a rooster tail spinner. You can see a few posts back I got quite a variety. Another well known culprit, especially when bass fishing, are chain pickerel, pike, and musky. These are also predatory fish and will go after the same bait fish or lures you would use for bass. Specifically for your question, catfish may be in the same area and MAY take your bait or lure but the ones aforementioned are more likely.

Never caught a gar. Would love to though.
Very thorough answer, thanks. Here in Kansas where I have typically gone, its been either flathead, or catfish, and some drum..and sadly too many carp. oh and one massive gar.
Post 208 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Darkseid_of_town - Pretty much what @Frontier2Xterra said. I mostly target Largemouth Bass when fishing freshwater ponds, lakes, and rivers. But I frequently catch other species, like chain pickerel, when I am bass fishing. If I am in a body of water that includes Smallmouth Bass, I may downsize my lure a little bit and fish deeper and rockier areas than if I was seeking just Largemouths. And if I am on a body of water that has Northern Pike, I would switch to larger and possibly flashier baits. If you throw a small spinner, you can catch a wide variety of fish - from panfish, to trout, to bass, etc. I pretty much always use artificial lures instead of live bait, with the exception being that I use shiners when ice fishing. I rarely keep any fresh fish to eat, unless they are likely to die when released (for example, a gill was damaged by a lure.) When saltwater fishing, I usually keep fish that meet the state minimum requirements for that species. Most of the time if I want fish to eat I go to a store or restaurant.
I have seen Alligator Gars in ponds in the Florida Everglades, but haven’t fished for them. I have also had Needle-nose Gars as aquarium pets decades ago. I have caught a few large snapping turtles by accident over the years, have had owls silently swoop down and grab my surface plugs a few times (thankfully they dropped them without getting hooked), and even accidentally hooked a river otter in a Maine lake once.
PS - I used to bottom fish for catfish (brown bullhead) years ago with live worms as bait. Unfortunately RI ponds don’t hold giant channel catfish.
As I said above, here in Kansas we get the massive flatheads, that run in the cottonwood river....my dad used to have me go with him to that place and we would spend a weekend fishing it up....caught a lot of drum there as well. the gar I caught was a river Gar...long, pencil shaped, with a massively long needle nose full of razor sharp nasty teeth. I know it was longer than I was tall, and I stand 5'4 so do the math yourself...
I have two other fishs stories I can relate....when I was perhaps eight or ten we were fishing county lake and I got a huge bit..it wasn't giving any and swam around collecting and tangling everyones lines until my grandmother asked to take over...she spent half an hour fighting that thing, until it was in the weeds and water that was shallow at the edge..it sounded like a pig rolling and thrashing in the water...she got a net under it....52 pounder, state record...for a carp.
Some years later as a teen I did something I would never consider doing now...a large water fowl had caught and was walking with a massive fish..I jumped out of my car and ran yelling and gesturing till the bird dropped the fish and I....caught it. My one big catch and I stole it sadly. I would never even consider such a thing now but teenagers are idiots sometimes.

by the way thanks for the thorough response, this is a topic I have little knowledge of ..thanks for sharing
Post 209 IP   flag post
Didn't go today but I did just buy my first fly rod and set up. Pretty excited to give it a try.
Post 210 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
A typical late October Fall day in NE - temperatures in the mid- to upper 40's, light to steady rain, and some wind. Perfect for ducks and crazy old fishermen. Me and my fishing buddy Al checked out a few ponds we never fished before this morning. As has become far too common over the last 10 years or so, we found No Trespassing signs posted at the first two ponds. The third try was the charm and we were able to fish a small pond in Foster, RI owned by a land trust. We had to slide the Jon boat under a locked gate, but we were rewarded with over a dozen largemouth bass, a blue gill, and a pickerel. Here's a picture of the pond and Al holding up the bully of the day.

Post 211 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - In case you’re interested, we we targeting largemouth bass. We caught most of the bass on Spinner baits (the pickerel too), but also landed several on Texas-rigged plastic worms. We also each caught at least one bass on a jig. Al caught one bass and the bluegill on a 3-inch suspending stick bait. The best area was a portion of the pond that had several old stumps (some visible above the water, some not). Not sure if I will get out next weekend, due to RI Comic Con.
Post 212 IP   flag post
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
This was not me. A friend of mine caught this little guy though...BOOM!
Post 213 IP   flag post
Nothing special fish wise but it was my first fish on a fly rod and fly.

Post 214 IP   flag post

Rainbow on a zebra midge.
Post 215 IP   flag post
Not trout but man what a couple fights on a fly rod.

Post 216 IP   flag post

Post 217 IP   flag post

One hell of an early freezing morning brown trout
Post 218 IP   flag post

Post 219 IP   flag post
Was able to get out this morning with my fishing buddy Mike. It was in the 20's this morning, but the high was going to be around 50. We wanted to fish a small pond in Gloucester, RI that is surrounded by woods and swamp. However, when we stopped there, the small cove where you can launch a car topper was frozen - over an inch of ice. So we tried another more accessible small pond - Lake Washington. Fishing was slow like we expected, but we each landed a decent largemouth bass. Probably not too many weekends left to fish around here.
Mike's fish:

My fish:

Post 220 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
Some nice bass and trout here! Kudos!
Post 221 IP   flag post
@Zipper - Thanks, Steve. Feel free to post some of your catch too!
Post 222 IP   flag post
No catches today but did go and get a nice pic. Also my upgraded reel and line came. Lined it and looking pretty.

Post 223 IP   flag post

Post 224 IP   flag post

Post 225 IP   flag post
Beautiful Rainbow, Jon! Nice reel too. It would look really good on my 9' Streamline rod.

Post 226 IP   flag post
@esaravo thanks Ed! Nice rod, just get it?
Post 227 IP   flag post
@esaravo on top of that, what's your setup? I went with Clearwater rod and reel after realizing my starter rod / reel / line from field and stream cast like poop.

8'6" 5wt lined with cortlandline trout boss flyline and cortland line 20lb micron backing. Thinking of getting another in 9' 8wt for bass and larger fish.
Post 228 IP   flag post
I have never used it. It was an impulse buy at Orvis a few years ago - it was a "second" model stamped "R" at a good price so I couldn't pass it up. It still has the plastic on the cork! It's a 9' 8 wt - maybe I should trade it to you for a comic book? I also have a BFR RimFly Disc 95 reel and an 8'6" Ugly Stick fly rod. Haven't fly fished in decades - some day.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Got this brute this afternoon. All pics are the same fish and the fly he took. Was an awesome battle. Released him to keep hunting and get even bigger.

Post 230 IP   flag post
600892 437 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?