Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch7457

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo yes I am. I just gotta take time when I am finally home to go through.

Literally just caught this chain pickerel while looking for some small mouth.

Post 51 IP   flag post
Another chainy.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So RI is experiencing some snow and slightly colder than normal weather. Me and my fishing buddy thought why not go fishing? We had to bust through about a half-inch of ice at the ramp, but we still managed to each catch a largemouth bass.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra looks like a Northern Pike, close relative? Spots a little diff but that elongation, fin positions, and underbite...
Post 54 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man close relative. In the pike family. Doesn’t get near as big as northern pike but still can be fun to catch and watch your fingers when landed.
Post 55 IP   flag post

@esaravo very nice. I haven’t caught a bass in weeks.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra, in Minnesota, a common nickname for northerns the size of your pickerel is "hammerhandle". LOL!! I grew up fishing for northerns. They were my favorite fish to catch and eat.
Post 57 IP   flag post
It's been a while since anyone posted anything here, so I figured I'd share this video from a few years ago and ask if anyone does any ice fishing. I used to go in my younger years, but as I got older I swear the ice house got colder!!!

Post 58 IP   flag post
Ha. I probably wont have any updates in this thread for a few months. Too cold and I don't ice fish haha.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Only about an inch or two of ice on the ponds right now, with warmer temperatures and rain forcast for this weekend. So like @Frontier2Xterra said, it could be a while before I can post any new fishing pics. But when I do, they will be ice fishing ones!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Welp....it was 42 on Saturday so I thought I’d go try my luck. The lake thought otherwise. I was very surprised to see it completely froze over. I didn’t think it’s been that cold here but apparently so.

Post 61 IP   flag post
Just a friendly bump to see if anyone has any pics. Don't want to see this closed / archived due to inactivity.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Just very cold water here in RI. It's supposed to stay near or below freezing for at least the next week, so I still hold out hope that there will be some safe ice in about two weeks.
Post 63 IP   flag post

Not caught. Just an eel photographed a couple years ago at aquarium. Can that count for for now? Haha
Post 64 IP   flag post
Here's a few fish from my last decent sized aquarium. It was a 40 gallon that I had to take down when I moved and I no longer have any room for it.

Post 65 IP   flag post
One day closer to warmer weather. Here fishy fishy fishy...
Post 66 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O My kid says he would like to try ice fishing....not sure he really understands. I'm 45now and he is 11 - the older I get the less and less likely I am to want to go ice fishing, long gone are the days where I'll do it without a hut!!!
Post 67 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Yeah, I was never a big fan of ice fishing while sitting on a pail. I did it for contests and when it was a really nice day, but I quit that years ago!!! An ice house is the only way I'd go now. I've thought about going to northern Minnesota and renting an ice house for a week. Some of those houses are nicer than some hotel rooms I've been in!!! LOL!!!
Post 68 IP   flag post
I was able to get out on the ice with a few fishing buddies about two weeks ago. I am not a big fan of ice fishing either, but it's the only show in town for at least another month. It was a slow day, two pickerel and two largemouth bass. Hope to get out this week, but with the weather fluctuating so much, it's not a given that you can find safe ice. Here's a few photos, including my buddy Al holding one of the bass.

Post 69 IP   flag post
We have a problem other than thin ice in Minnesota this year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare11 news
Hundreds of ice anglers stuck on Mille Lacs

Heavy drifting on ice roads has left hundreds of ice anglers stuck across Lake Mille Lacs. The snow is so deep vehicles can't get back to the mainland, leaving those stuck keeping a worried eye on their propane and food supplies.

AITKIN, Minn. — Snowy, drift-covered roads are a proving a major problem for motorists across the state of Minnesota.

And the problems aren't only on dry land. Heavy drifting on ice roads has left hundreds of ice anglers stuck across Lake Mille Lacs. The snow is so deep vehicles can't get back to the mainland, leaving those stuck keeping a worried eye on their propane and food supplies.

Among them is Bill Spege of Wyoming who is stuck in an ice shack with his brother Trevor and two of their buddies. Spege arrived Saturday to chase some walleye, and hunkered down as conditions on Mille Lacs worsened into what he described as "the worst I've ever seen." The group is out of fuel for their generator so no lights or electricity, but they do have enough propane to heat the shack at least through Tuesday.

The fuel situation is crucial, as KARE 11 meteorologist Laura Betker says the current air temp in the Mille Lacs area is 6 degrees below zero, with windchill measured at 20-below. Making matters trickier is that the area is expected to receive another one to three inches of snow tomorrow.

Trevor Spege's ice house is in a group serviced by Barnacles Resort and Campground out of Aitkin. Bill Spege says they have been told the snow is so deep that some of the resort's plows have broken. A post on Barnacle's Facebook page reads "The plows are on the lake (Monday morning) and working their way out. Along the way they are helping people get unstuck. Unfortunately it is a slow process."

Bill Spege says he understands the resort's dilemma, but with food and water running short they are starting to get a bit anxious. To make matters worse, he adds that the walleye bite is terrible.

The situation is similar at Jerry Brandt's Ice Fishing out of Onamia on the southern section of Lake Mille Lacs. The ice roads there are impassable as well, and Jerry had two plows break down Sunday as he and his crews attempted to clear the roads and get clients to safety.

"He only has one working plow truck at present and moving with the blower is a slow process. He will get to you but it will take time so please be patient. Keep and eye out for him and be ready to go. Thank you everyone for your patience!," reads a Facebook post from Monday morning.

KARE 11 Facebook follower LuAnne Curtis-Schwartz is worried about her daughter, who is ice fishing at Brandt's. Curtis-Schwartz says the group is out of food, and propane in the ice shack is getting low. She added that conditions are so brutal the tires of the fishing group's vehicles have frozen to the ice.

A picture posted on the Brandt's Facebook page from Sunday shows what plow crews are dealing with on the big lake.

KARE 11 has tried numerous times to reach both Barnacle's Resort and Campground and Jerry Brandt's for updates, but calls went unanswered, most likely as all hands are on deck trying to rescue anglers who are stuck.

Mille Lacs County Sheriff Don Lorge tells Kare 11 that his office is not getting any 911 calls today, but confirms there were two search and rescue missions conducted last night to get desperate anglers off the ice. He does have a deputy on the ice with a snowmobile or ATV checking on shacks to make sure people have the necessities they need.

Minnesota DNR Enforcement Division Communications Coordinator Joe Albert tells us that resort owners are doing the best they can to clear roads and reach customers. Albert says most are choosing to stay with their shacks as long as they have enough food and fuel. There is a DNR warden on the ice checking on anglers who are stuck and assisting the resorts in their communication efforts.

Jen Withrow is one of those ice anglers who is inconvenienced, but safe. She and boyfriend Ben Searing brought their Ice Castle to Appledorn's Resort for Perch Extravaganza, bought a road pass and set up on a plowed site two miles from shore. She says the winds began roaring Friday night, and didn't let up until Sunday. They endured white-out conditions, pulled their shack out of it's spot when the wind began creating a liquid moat around it, and pulled it until they could go no farther.

As of noon Monday they didn't even have lines down to fish, they were making popcorn and watching movies. "I've not been through this before," she laughed.

If you are stuck on Lake Mille Lacs and have pictures or videos, post them on our Facebook page or email them to news@kare11.com.

Full article and video
Post 70 IP   flag post
What’s your go to bass setup? Mine is non-weighted Texas rig or jig. Football head or swim, it’s a tie. Not a huge fan of swim lures.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
What’s your go to bass setup? Mine is non-weighted Texas rig or jig. Football head or swim, it’s a tie. Not a huge fan of swim lures.

When the water is warm, I throw a wacky or Texas-rigged Yum Dinger or Bass Pro Sticko, usually without a weight, until my arms fall off. In cooler waters and for heavy structure, I use a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jig with a Strike King chunk trailer. And you can never go wrong tossing a spinner bait over likely ambush points and edges of vegetation. If I bring three rods with me fishing, that’s probably what you would see each rod rigged with.
Post 72 IP   flag post
@esaravo excellent choices! With the jigs I usually go craw on the football heads and swim tail grub on the swim jig. Not full constant reel though. Swim, fall, swim fall.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Anyone else enjoy watching the Major League Fishing tournaments on tv???
Post 74 IP   flag post
Gonna try to wet a line this weekend.
Post 75 IP   flag post

Welp. No fish but was nice to be out. Trying another lake tomorrow.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Still ice over most places where i am
Post 77 IP   flag post
Nothing again. Shame.

Post 78 IP   flag post
Just another post to keep from archive. Threw out the line a few more times after work at the canal but still nothing. Supposed to be a nice weekend, gonna try to hit a lake or two.
Post 79 IP   flag post
#SOON!
Post 80 IP   flag post
600796 437 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?