Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch7457

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful Rainbow, Jon! Nice reel too. It would look really good on my 9' Streamline rod.

Post 226 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo thanks Ed! Nice rod, just get it?
Post 227 IP   flag post
@esaravo on top of that, what's your setup? I went with Clearwater rod and reel after realizing my starter rod / reel / line from field and stream cast like poop.

8'6" 5wt lined with cortlandline trout boss flyline and cortland line 20lb micron backing. Thinking of getting another in 9' 8wt for bass and larger fish.
Post 228 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have never used it. It was an impulse buy at Orvis a few years ago - it was a "second" model stamped "R" at a good price so I couldn't pass it up. It still has the plastic on the cork! It's a 9' 8 wt - maybe I should trade it to you for a comic book? I also have a BFR RimFly Disc 95 reel and an 8'6" Ugly Stick fly rod. Haven't fly fished in decades - some day.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Got this brute this afternoon. All pics are the same fish and the fly he took. Was an awesome battle. Released him to keep hunting and get even bigger.

Post 230 IP   flag post

Didn't make it out today but got a new fly box and got it organized. So purty.

Post 231 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Didn't make it out today but got a new fly box and got it organized. So purty.

Do you make your own or buy? Either way NICE!!!
Post 232 IP   flag post
@Arak thanks! Those I bought. I'd like to get into tying my own soon though.
Post 233 IP   flag post

Post 234 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra - Nice! It’s in the 40’s with heavy rain (1 to 2 inches) and wind today in RI. The fishing window is closing fast here.
Post 235 IP   flag post
@esaravo

Not much better here. Rain came through last night. They're still chasing streamers but in about a week I'm sure I'll be using only midges.

Post 236 IP   flag post

Post 237 IP   flag post

Post 238 IP   flag post
No longer streamer chasing. Got these guys on a bead head nymph.

Post 239 IP   flag post
It is freaking cold out. Got a nice bow after work though. The missing pectoral fin is an old injury.

Post 240 IP   flag post

A rainy, snowy brown trout on a midge during lunch.
Post 241 IP   flag post
There's no other cold weather / ice fishermen???
Post 242 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Back in the 80's My father and I used to winter fish on Paris Lake in Paris Arkansas. We each had a thermos of hot coffee overloaded with sugar to prevent hypothermia. I didn't care much for winter fishing, but caught some really nice fish fry.
Post 243 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder that sounds like a great time, honestly. I grew up in upstate NY. My grandfather had a ice fishing "lodge" on skis that could be pushed out onto DeRuyter lake. Just hang out and catch lake trout, walleye, anything that took the bait.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Quote:

December is the worse. Watching the shorelines start to freeze up and then waiting for a good two-week cold spell to hopefully get 5 or 6 inches of black ice. Some years you can get out right around Christmas, and others you wait until middle or even late January. For the last few years it seems like you get a cold week followed by a warmer one and it takes forever to get safe ice. I now think it's a good winter if I can get on the ice 3 or 4 times.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Fished a little creek that I've never fished before. Caught a bunch of feisty little fall fish then got rewarded with this beautiful rainbow. Probably one of the prettiest I've caught.

Beautiful creek too.

Post 246 IP   flag post
Got a few new flies in the mail this morning. The fish like this one called "the panty dropper", haha. It got me a rainbow and a brown. Tried to get a brook too for the trifecta but couldn't get one.

Post 247 IP   flag post
Froze my butt off for a couple hours this afternoon for this one tiny fallfish, haha. Going to the inlaws this weekend and supposed to go out with my brother in law for some trout. Hopefully the weather holds out.

Post 248 IP   flag post
Had early am meeting on other side of state. After meeting hitting some mountain streams on way home. Got two beautiful native brook trout so far.

Post 249 IP   flag post
Beautiful rainbow so far on this cold first winter day eve.

Post 250 IP   flag post
No trout today but did get a bunch of little fallfish to get me out of my 7 day skunk fest. These are only a few of about 15 little guys I caught. We're loving this bead headed nymph.

Post 251 IP   flag post
Another little guy today. But atleast not skunked.

Post 252 IP   flag post
Anything I throw seems to be a trout repellent and fallfish attractant lately no matter the location.

3 more of these guys this afternoon.

Post 253 IP   flag post
Brrrrr. Beautiful bow for first fish of the year.

Post 254 IP   flag post
Ok. I'm ready for spring. Freezing for one fish is getting old. Haha.

Post 255 IP   flag post
601452 437 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?