Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Off topic; fishing. Show your catch7457

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Keeping this alive before it ages out. Have not fished anywhere near the amount I usually do. Life happens. Anyone have any new catches?
Post 426 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of ice, but no fish. Will try again next week.

Post 427 IP   flag post
Collector Zipper private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This isn't my fish, but I had to share this after I saw it.

"There is officially a new Minnesota record for catch-and-release northern pike.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) said it certified the 46 1/4-inch pike, caught June 19 on Basswood Lake, as the new state record. It was caught by Brecken Kobylecky, a 15-year-old from Geneva, Illinois."

I'm curious how they certify a fish that was released. In NYS, the fish must be weighed on a certified scale (in a deli, meat market, etc.) and be witnessed. Which means, the fish never survives.

That is an amazing fish, but I'm kinda surprised the record isn't bigger in Minnesota, which is a Pike haven.
Post 428 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Zipper you sparked my interest. So, I went to the Minnesota DNR site and found the following.

"There are two kinds of Minnesota state records: One for catching and keeping the biggest fish in each species based on certified weight; and the other for the length of a caught-and-released muskellunge, northern pike, lake sturgeon or flathead catfish."

Post 429 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Lots of ice, but no fish. Will try again next week.

Same here. Yesterday was brutally cold (Minus 11 at 7 am). So we waited until today when it was a balmy 15 degrees. In the boat I can stay out all day and enjoy the day, whether we are catching or not. I'm not so patient with ice fishing... especially if it is windy. If they are not hitting, my son and I stay a few hours and call it a day.

Post 430 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Zipper you sparked my interest. So, I went to the Minnesota DNR site and found the following.

"There are two kinds of Minnesota state records: One for catching and keeping the biggest fish in each species based on certified weight; and the other for the length of a caught-and-released muskellunge, northern pike, lake sturgeon or flathead catfish."

Interesting and a great idea. I like the notion of the fish being able to survive. I am strictly catch and release.
Post 431 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@Zipper

You brave the elements to ice fish catch and release? If so, good for you. Catch and release was part of growing up, not on the ice though.
Post 432 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
@Zipper

You brave the elements to ice fish catch and release? If so, good for you. Catch and release was part of growing up, not on the ice though.

Yep. I love being outdoors, yet don't really care to eat fish.
Post 433 IP   flag post
Hey, no! Nothing wrong with that.
Post 434 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Freshwater fish are almost always catch and release. But saltwater fishing, that’s what’s for dinner (every now and then). No saltwater fishing in the winter. The saltwater bite usually picks up around the time you see flower buds on cherry and apple trees.
Post 435 IP   flag post
I’m to land locked, I’ve never salty fished.
Post 436 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Same for freshwater. The only time I keep is when I know they won't make it. But since I switched to primarily fly with no barbs, very rarely happens anymore.
Post 437 IP   flag post
598089 437 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?