Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The great crash of the 20s7453

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone remember how it was back in the 10’s?

You could walk into any comic shop, purchase whatever you like off the rack, and half the time go home and sell just one of those online to get your money back.

You could load up on a pile of second printing store variants and make thousands!

You could buy a key book, send it out for press and clean, and double your money.

Nobody was actually reading books anymore, but EVERYBODY was making money, and building collections of brand new books worth insane amounts of loot.

You could speculate (and win) on just about anything! B, C, even D list character first appearances going for massive amounts of money!

And then there was the end. It all started when there was a frenzy around Batman Damned #1; everyone was speculating on Batman’s dick. Then the movie market became oversaturated and mainstream stopped caring about comics. That was it. The bubble exploded. Millions of valuable modern books deemed worthless overnight. Key book values slashed in half. What once was a hot speculation was now Dollar bin fodder.

Sure am glad I live in the 20s where I can pick up the books I want for a reasonable sum.

It’s not like this has ever happened before 🙄

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Folks should be reading and enjoying comics first and speculating to make money on them as an afterthought. Not that I would ever tell anyone what to do. 😂
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand what is happening right now. I thought you were talking about 1920s and the stock market crash by your title of topic. Now I am even more confused. Batman's dick really has you questioning everything around you, isn't it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Could it be Bat Pole envy?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure REM would have included Batman Damned in this song if they had known about it.

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Batman's dick really has you questioning everything around you, isn't it?

Specifically, the fact that everyone is speculating on it, yes. The dick is 2 days old and the high price so far today is $77.65

This will not sustain. Suppose that makes me the bum of the forum holding up the “end is nigh” sign 🤣
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
All this excitement over an imaginary penis. Imagine the fenzy if some of these folks got a hold of a real one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
This is a burning frustration and resentment I have with comics and with art as a whole.

It's the same reason why I feel as though I'm in the minority when it comes to enjoying the type of art that I gravitate towards, and it's difficult for me to understand why I'm a minority.

I enjoy comics that are a culmination of great storytelling and exceptional art.

Both of these points are subjective, I know, however, the fact remains that I need to feel like I have been a part of, or experienced, this collective whole. The collective whole being, again, a great story with great art.

Sometimes, just great art moves me, like a great cover, and I'll buy a comic because of that. (This is one factor I find I struggle with most often, as art is easiest for me to identify with and can result in my most frequent impulse purchases).

Sometimes, the story is what connects with me, even though the art may not be to my liking due to a variety of factors.

Fast forward to this bullshit... this rampant speculator market, and Bat Dick.

The market is in a frenzy over from what I get, is nothing more than just bullshit reasoning.

Now with Bat Dick, and the 'Uncorrected Proof', which is arguably the most rare version of Batman Damned #1, commands the most money. A wordless picture book, also containing a drawn penis, is what people seem to care about most, and is what is creating interest.

I don't have to partake in Bat Dick. I won't.
The market partakes in it though, and like it or not, the market goes where the money is.

It's the mass markets that drive direction, and what I revere most, will be snuffed out... and no one will even notice.

There is no more room for compelling, creative work, where storytelling and art sing together in harmony.

Dead are the days of high art. All hail Bat Dick.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I actually want to read the damn book...but unknown comic books won't ship it to me for some strange reason. I ordered it several weeks ago before all these shinanigans.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio...I am starting to think retailers are hearing things are heating up within a day of being put out (courtesy of the Interwebs) and pretending Diamond didn't send the comics to them so that they can profit on the rampant spec driven brouhaha that results when no one can seem to get a hold of one. It's happened to me recently, at least twice in the past few months, in spite of my pre-ordering the comics in question weeks/months in advance. I call shenanigans! I've even had my LCS increase cover price books to $10 on day of release...being in Hawaii, they will hear about things in demand on the East Coast hours before the store opens and mark up accordingly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I figured variant covers is what is killing the market...at least now people are loosing it over the art in the book (although in this case not because of the style or skill but instead the content/subject of the art)....maybe someday they will go crazy for the stories again??
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Well, you have a controversial image, great art and supposedly a good story. Seems like a recipe for success.

Don't start with the variant cover talk killing the market. I got yelled at for mentioning that.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
yes naked Batman is going to crash the comics market

And not all the other horrible Mistakes Comic companies are currently making
Post 13 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Pop up book??
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

My son recommended I read crime suspenstories 23. What a great read! I have a lot of pre code books I have not read, it cleaned my brain after reading the newer gimmicks, and no penis!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I liked the story and enjoyed the art. I also like how someone on one of the FB pages pointed out that with all this talk of 'lil Wayne absolutely nobody is talking about Return of Wolverine, unless it's to mock the hot claws.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't notice he was gone....how long was he away?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Didn't notice he was gone....how long was he away?

4 years
Post 18 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
I liked the story and enjoyed the art. I also like how someone on one of the FB pages pointed out that with all this talk of 'lil Wayne absolutely nobody is talking about Return of Wolverine, unless it's to mock the hot claws.

Yes, those are very mockable. First thing I thought when I heard about it was, "Boy, that sounds pretty dumb." It's like tying a gun to the end of your sword: what's it doing there and does it really help?

No. No, it doesn't. Although I suppose it's easier to light those cigars now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
TEXT.
It is 5 years after 9/19/18-
the world has changed

EXT. DAY.
A major city, it is unidentifiable due to the level of destruction.

A woman is running through a garbage strewn street. She is running from something, we don't see her pursuers.

ClOSE UP OF WOMAN'S FACE.

We see the sweat dripping from her brow, her eyes are darting frantically back and forth. Her dirty brown matted hair keeps getting in her face, she is terrified.

There is a sound of cackling in the distance, the pursuers grow closer.

Burned out cars and the rubble of destroyed buildings line the streets.

The woman looks for a place to hide, there isn't one. Her lungs are bursting. She needs to rest. She stops for a moment and hides behind a car to catch her breath.

Suddenly a long dark mushroom shaped shadow casts over her...the woman screams

IT'S THE BAT DICK GANG

VO. (Morgan Freeman)
The end of the world began on September 19, 2018..
Post 20 IP   flag post
601440 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?