Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector DadBodRyan private msg quote post Address this user
Hey folks

I'm wondering if anyone on here has an experience with sending books to be graded from the Great White North. I am starting to get a couple books I want to have graded, but I would like some input on how many I need for it to make sense to pay the shipping to have them graded.

Any input or lessons from experience would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Minimum I try to send in is 5, anything less than that you are basically paying the same amount in shipping. I’m not sure how that scales up for larger numbers.

Also you can add/remove books in your order to see how it affects the shipping costs to try to find the sweet spot
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
When I send I usually send more than the 5 stated before so it's not a big deal.
Depending where you live...if you are close to the border you can use a US postal service.
I have one that is either $100 per year or $5 per package (so far I only need the per package service).
It is great for shops or sellers who only ship to the US.
For me it usually has to be about $15 bucks cheaper to send to the US than Canada to be worth the $5 fee and the $4.75 customs bridge toll. Only once have I been pulled over, but I had $300 in books and I think it was like $20 in GST I had to pay - still cheaper than mailing to Canada even with the duty charges!!!

For CBCS I would just bring a copy of the invoice to say you paid $xxx in grading fees....if you declare anything at all...maybe you just went over for gas and groceries?? - not sure what the difference is in shipping though - may not be worth it
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Pvadacchino private msg quote post Address this user
Normally i send between 20-25 books
8-10 of which i sell to absorb the cost of shipping, slabbing and then some
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Only once have I been pulled over, but I had $300 in books and I think it was like $20 in GST I had to pay.

Don’t you have to declare before getting pulled over? I assumed there were some stiff penalties for not declaring in the first place.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
As others stated, the more books your ship, the cheaper it is per book....not just in shipping, but also in return shipping.

To date the orders I've shipped are priced below as I've started to navigate this.

2 Books back to me in Ontario was $43US...
10 books back to me in Ontario was $70US....
20 Books back to me in Ontario was $90US....

I use Fedex to ship with insurance covering value because it allowed me to specify the shipment as "Repair and Return" (which I haven't seen with Canada Post) indicating that the goods would be returning to me and also include a printed note in the plastic envelope showing that they were returning at a later date.

CBCS uses Fedex to ship back (at least in the ones I've sent in), if you get dinged with customs you can ask Fedex to hold the parcel and I believe CBCS can be reached to confirm the items were being returned to you and not purchased so duty isn't applicable....or if you use repair and return on the initial Fedex shipment, you can refer this to the Fedex Broker as it being your initial shipment and this is the return portion to get out of duty...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@KatKomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Only once have I been pulled over, but I had $300 in books and I think it was like $20 in GST I had to pay.

Don’t you have to declare before getting pulled over? I assumed there were some stiff penalties for not declaring in the first place.

No no - I declared and they decided to pull me over to pay the GST.

For anything I declare under $100 they just let me through - don't even blink - not worth the time/effort/$$ to have me pay the GST.
Between $100 and $200 they ask a bunch of questions but I still have not had to pay - the $300 I knew would be too much.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Ontario...I send 10 books at a time...about $70 in shipping one way.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
You guys in ON get way better return shipping rates than me in MB. Each time I have sent books it has cost me over $120 return (CDN). Shipping down varies depending on my insurance total.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm cheap - never paid for shipping down to a grading company, have always dropped them off at a convention.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Set up a US post office box. I use crossborderpickups in Mississauaga - I have my packages sent to there warehouse in Niagara Falls and they drive them across the boarder.

Cheaper and faster shipping. They charge you a fee for doing this but its worth it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
600892 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?