Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Borock on Youtube tonight7428

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Another hard hitting question:

11.) Will you notate "Batman Damned #1" as the "First appearance of Batman's Batwang"?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I did listen to the video last night. Mr. Borock said that the magazine slab is being pushed back because of cost and not enough demand for getting magazines graded/slabbed.

I wonder how this was determined?
Post 28 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

11.) Will you notate "Batman Damned #1" as the "First appearance of Batman's Batwang"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I did listen to the video last night. Mr. Borock said that the magazine slab is being pushed back because of cost and not enough demand for getting magazines graded/slabbed.

I wonder how this was determined?

It boils down to this. The mold for the mag holder will cost about $50k, that's not including the cost of design. Even if we position the price for mag service where we could net $10 per book, we'd have to slab 5,000 magazines before we made a single dollar.

"I have 5" and "I can get 10 slabbed" is demand, but it's a trickle compared to the comic market. Magazines, while very collectible, by an large are not expensive to get into. Aside from a few key issues, the vast bulk of magazines, even in high grades, are extremely affordable. For us to make $10 per book, we'd probably have to charge close to $30 for the base tier. It's exponentially more costly for us to grade magazines because they have a LOT more pages to count, the raw material of the case would cost us more, and they are more expensive to ship.

Throw in the fact that, as obscure of a niche market as they were in the '70s, they're all but gone from the new comic book market, so it's not like there is renewable interest in the product.

I'd love to offer the product. I am a huge magazine collector and have been pushing for us to do this since we opened, but as a businessman, I do know that there has to be logic behind the decision. And that logic has to include making money, not throwing it away.

As I said before, I think it will happen, but that may be my heart talking instead of my head. I sure hope we do.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
*quoted from a previous thread a month ago
Quote:
We are currently finishing up the redesign of the comic slab. Once that has been launched, the magazine slab should follow using the same, although larger, design as the comic slab. I don't know the timeline, but the last word I heard was that the mag holder was certainly going to happen.

*quoted from a previous thread a month ago
Quote:
When you see the new comic slab announced, I think the mag slab will be at least 3 to 6 months behind it.

Quote:
It boils down to this. The mold for the mag holder will cost about $50k, that's not including the cost of design. Even if we position the price for mag service where we could net $10 per book, we'd have to slab 5,000 magazines before we made a single dollar.

"I have 5" and "I can get 10 slabbed" is demand, but it's a trickle compared to the comic market. Magazines, while very collectible, by an large are not expensive to get into. Aside from a few key issues, the vast bulk of magazines, even in high grades, are extremely affordable. For us to make $10 per book, we'd probably have to charge close to $30 for the base tier. It's exponentially more costly for us to grade magazines because they have a LOT more pages to count, the raw material of the case would cost us more, and they are more expensive to ship.

Throw in the fact that, as obscure of a niche market as they were in the '70s, they're all but gone from the new comic book market, so it's not like there is renewable interest in the product.

I'd love to offer the product. I am a huge magazine collector and have been pushing for us to do this since we opened, but as a businessman, I do know that there has to be logic behind the decision. And that logic has to include making money, not throwing it away.

As I said before, I think it will happen, but that may be my heart talking instead of my head. I sure hope we do.

Not liking the direction of the dialogue going from certainly to possibly not

Mag slabs from CBCS would have been awesome.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I do believe it will happen, but explained the obstacle we have to overcome with it. If we could charge $50 per and have an unending supply of submissions, it would be a no-brainer and would have happened 4 years ago.

I'm certainly on the front lines trying to make it happen.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to point out that in this interview, I don't believe that Borock said it was never going to happen. The way I understand it, they looked closely at all the costs involved, the potential market, and the return on their investment. After they got all those figures, the decision was made that for the money it would take, it would be better to concentrate on their more immediate issues and put the magazine slab on the back burner. I don't believe that they have totally dismissed the possibility of a magazine slab in the future.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Question...would the magazine size holder be large enough to slab treasury sized books like Superman vs Spider-Man from the 70โ€™s?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Zevgoli From what I've heard, no, they will not be Treasury sized. The market for that size is even more severely limited than magazine size. It's just not economical. I believe that they can be raw graded though.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting about the raw graded. I might look into that. Thanks
Post 36 IP   flag post
Just a follow up on a few things because I said I would...

Quote:
2. They are going to stop honoring Stan Lee ASP and VSP signatures. How does this effect all the constant incoming submissions and what are you going to do about the "cut off" transition?

This is not the case. I don't know the context of where this came from, but it is not true. We are still doing Stan Lee in ASP and VSP labels as long as they are submitted via the proper channels. Stan is not publicly signing anymore, so any ASP submissions will have to go through a facilitator dealing with Stan directly. VSP signature are still being done. Borock told me that there is honestly some difficulty in the signature authenticators being able to pass more recent Stan Lee autographs due to the fact that his signature has become less consistent and harder to authenticate. The authenticators will err to the side of caution and not pass a signature that is questionable. I'm sure you can look at recent signatures by Stan and understand the difficulty.

Quote:
3. Is there going to be a new case design next year, yet again?

I just saw a new prototype and it is moving along as scheduled. I wasn't given a date on when it will launch, but I believe it will happen early 2019. I'm sure there will be an announcement when the final product is put into production and a launch date is determined.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts any update on the possibility of magazine sized slabs??
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@shrewbeer I do believe it will happen, but explained the obstacle we have to overcome with it. If we could charge $50 per and have an unending supply of submissions, it would be a no-brainer and would have happened 4 years ago.

I'm certainly on the front lines trying to make it happen.

steve, magazine sized slabs. all i can say is,

if you build it they will come, nuff said.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I addressed it earlier in this thread.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
My issue with the verified label was the pinkish label, is that whatโ€™s changing?@SteveRicketts also when it does roll out and I want to send some old verified labeled books back to be redone with the new label will I be charged full price? Thanks
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just saw a new prototype and it is moving along as scheduled.

@SteveRicketts Good to know & thank you for the heads up. Just out of curiosity, was the prototype checked against the existing model(s) to validate that it is compatible when it comes to storage? Same dimensions and whatnot? OCD already demands keeping CBCS & CGC slabs in separate boxes, would like to know if I need to sub-divide CBCS slabs in to pre-2019 & post-2019 as well.

@kaptainmyke $20 says CBCS new case goes live before CGC fixes the newton rings.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Venomade I don't have an answer on the VSP label. More details will be released in the coming weeks.

@BabaLament Same size and look as the cases you currently have. If it were software, it would certainly be a 2.0 revision, but visually it is very backwards compatible. When you see it, you'll understand.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Will the New slab design do away with the "Corner Clips"?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Will the New slab design do away with the "Corner Clips"?

Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is not the case. I don't know the context of where this came from, but it is not true.

In the video Borock himself stated they were going to stop honoring Stan Lee signatures, which is why I was so surprised to hear it.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Ah, I didn't listen to the podcast. What I stated is the issue. No problems with Stan sigs other than they are hard to authenticate.

@BigRedOne1944 There are many changes with the new holder, all are positive. More info soon.
Post 47 IP   flag post
So to clarify, this means a new case design, but no change to label design? New case, same labels? Thanks
Post 48 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Please keep your labels, they look awesome and clean!! By far the best labels on the market...changing colors doesn't bother me too much (VSP reds to something else is cool) but CBCS labels look fantastic!!!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Please keep your labels, they look awesome and clean!! By far the best labels on the market...changing colors doesn't bother me too much (VSP reds to something else is cool) but CBCS labels look fantastic!!!

I vote for sliver!
Post 50 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I vote for sliver!

Me too! or grey to go with witnessed yellow/gold label.
Post 51 IP   flag post
grey vs red

Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
PGX Labels are Grey. I know CBCS is down in the dumps rn, but lets not go that far ๐Ÿ˜‘
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
PGX Labels are Grey. I know CBCS is down in the dumps rn, but lets not go that far ๐Ÿ˜‘

Yes...good point...CBCS will not likely use grey just for that reason....completely forgot the other guys used grey.
Post 54 IP   flag post
It won't be gray.

I did hear that the VSP tweak won't happen until the new cases go into production. Again, very early next year is my prediction.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600902 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?