Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

Has anyone ever tried converting modern CBCS 9.8's?7398

Collector Lundon44 private msg quote post Address this user
So lately I've been toying with the silly idea of testing the grading of a modern CBCS 9.8 to see how CGC grades it. I've seen videos on YouTube of someone converting a mixed bunch of CGC slabs to CBCS and the grades were all over the place. Majority came in a little lower with CGC but I don't think any were modern 9.8's.

I think this interest came over me recently when I went through my collection of slabs and found a couple of books that I might want to convert to CGC. The rumour on the streets is that CBCS grades harder on moderns. So what that should mean is that a CBCS 9.8 on a modern SHOULD retain it's 9.8 state with CGC if true. I've also heard that unless you're buying books to keep in your collection, CGC is the preferred grader for resale value. I've seen some legitimacy to this claim. I've also heard mixed opinions on this.

Now, I have a couple books that are modern CBCS 9.8's. One being Edge of Spider-Verse #2 variant. I definitely intend to hold onto this one. But a part of me wishes it was a CGC book. I've tossed the idea around of cracking it and taking a shot at converting it to see how it plays out. But that's a huge risk to take on that book. I have a few modern 9.8 books however, I don't care as much for that are worth much less that I might convert just for interest.

Has anyone done this just out of straight curiosity to compare grading? If so, what were you're findings?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Within the first few months of CBCS opening I sent a dozen or so formerly CGC graded books including some moderns to CBCS (cross grading) - just to see how they compared.

Only one book came back a different grade and the difference was small.

Since then I only cross grade when I believe the first company was overly harsh. MOST of the time the books grade the same or within a single grade. I have had a few do better. It can go either way. Sometimes CGC stricter, Sometimes CBCS stricter.

The general consensus is as you say - that CBCS leans stricter on moderns. And by moderns I mean books graded say 2000 and later. Not the modern tier that starts 1975. But there is some nuance to this. CBCS is less likely to give a pass to printing defects than CGC is with modern books. The grading philosophy of CBCS being that the last 20 years, comic books are printed at a much higher quality control standards than vintage newsprint type books were. And that printing defects should not so easily be given a "pass" in grading. So is CBCS just overall stricter on moderns? That I don't think is so clear.

So there is nothing remotely close to a rule or a guarantee. The closest to "pretty certain" is sending in CBCS books that have the checkmark (which means they look nicer than the assigned grade) Those will often grade higher at CGC. (because they look nicer, right???) Bottom line is when you cross grade, there is a chance of books receiving a different grade.

MY only hard and fast rule is I don't ever, EVER mess with graded 9.8's. I don't get them signed, I don't cross grade them. Your chances of getting a 9.9 are virtually ZERO. So you really have no place to go except the same or down. I see no reason to take the risk.

But it's your money and if you want to gamble with it - then go for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Lundon44 Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundon44
But a part of me wishes it was a CGC book.

I would heed @IronMan’s advice and not mess with graded 9.8s. If you really prefer CGC, sell the CBCS 9.8 and buy a CGC 9.8. If there is a price difference, it may be equal to the cost of shipping and re-grading.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector billkruser5 private msg quote post Address this user
Another vote for the "Don't mess with a 9.8" crowd. Especially with that book.

Lets say a 9.8 CGC for this book sells for $2,150 (according to latest GOCOLLECT.com data).
And a 9.8 CBCS sells for $2,000. (This is a made up number, I bet the gap is much closer).
But a 9.6 (the risk of cross grading) comes back from CGC, congrats, your book is now worth $1,250 (again, according to GOCOLLECT.com data). Was the $150 worth the potential value drop? Not to mention the cost of getting it cross graded. Plus another risk factor is sending this out in the mail again.
And do not forget the potential Newton Ring issue, a 3rd risk. I love a good gamble but this might not be your fight.

Personally, CBCS labels look better anyway.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5

I have to agree. As much as I hate to say it, even PGX labels these days look better than CGC.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Lundon44 Would your goal be to simply end up with CGC-graded books or are you hoping for a grade higher than your 9.8?

If you simply want CGC books, then I'd suggest what @CaptainCanuck suggested: simply sell the CBCS 9.8 and buy a CGC 9.8.

If the goal is to pull a 9.9 or 10.0, I'd suggest what the majority are suggesting: don't risk the conversion.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Well, firstly I want to say I'm in agreeance with everyone that the idea of cracking a CBCS 9.8 to aim for a 9.8 on the other side of the fence is a pretty dumb idea! But I seem to have a long history of taking dumb risks.

Just a few examples:
- Cracked an ASM 300 CGC 9.8 to get it triple signed - came back 9.8
- Cracked a Hulk 181 CGC 9.2 to get it pressed - came back 9.2 but took a hit on the "white pages"
- Cracked an ASM 800 Ultimate Edition CBCS 9.8 to add 2 remarks - coming back 9.8

I don't always win, but I enjoy living on the wild side sometimes. The reasoning wouldn't be in hopes of a grade increase but I guess the thought did cross my mind just because I know that if one day I decide to sell, I would maximise my return on a CGC slab vs CBCS. This is something I hope that one day will no longer be the case.

@DWeeB1967 technically you have the right idea. If I care that much, sell one first then just pay the difference for the other. Way less risk involved. Just not as much fun and surprise involved haha!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
You’re taking a risk on getting Newton rings...in fact, some would say it’s guaranteed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Don't
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
You’re taking a risk on getting Newton rings...in fact, some would say it’s guaranteed.

In Facebook comic collecting groups, people always post scans of books they've gotten back from CGC. They all look fine. :::shrug:::
Post 11 IP   flag post
Just do what makes you happy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5

I have to agree. As much as I hate to say it, even PGX labels these days look better than CGC.

I couldn't disagree with this more. CGC labels are bad?? CBCS labels look good?? No way.

CGC has the best label in my opinion - it looks great, with some really nice touches. The only thing worse than the current CBCS label is the previous 'rivets' label ... CBCS's current label is dull and very cheap looking, unfortunately.

But hey, to each their own.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I liked the first CBCS label much more than the rivets. So, the current label was an improvement on a downgrade that didn't need a to happen. The CGC label is fine. Fairly easy to read since the grade jumps out like the coyote dropping anvils.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Personally, I prefer the look of the CGC holder slightly more. But it's not a huge deal to me and it doesn't actually bother me at all.

I will say though that I realised when going through my CBCS books that I think I have about 4 different labels. Meaning that they must have been changing their label designs VERY frequently in the last few years. Versus CGC who's only changed theirs I think about twice since their original label.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
For moderns i believe it is the same, just get it pressed just in case...
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Lundon44, CGC labels and cases seem to have changed a lot also.
Post 17 IP   flag post
601445 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?