Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New pence to my collection7390

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

I saw some comics with this format of pricing at a show and I almost bought them because they were different. I talked myself out of it based upon condition and whatever title it was. I'm trying to narrow my focus on what I buy. So far, my focus is so narrow that I'm not buying much of anything. Dealers aren't bringing the books I want to buy at a price I'll pay.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back

Post 52 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 53 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley - Come on Mike, I am trying to be good, and this is not helping. Boy are you killing it!
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm trying to be good. This was one of my last big buys from an across the street member.

I need to sell more stuff, because I got a speeding ticket on the way home from work. Apparently saying that I was in a hurry to take a dump wasn't good enough for just a warning.
Post 55 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley

May that officer know extreme personal duress at some point during his on duty time.
If forum had poop emoji I would insert here....
Post 56 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm trying to be good. This was one of my last big buys from an across the street member.

I need to sell more stuff, because I got a speeding ticket on the way home from work. Apparently saying that I was in a hurry to take a dump wasn't good enough for just a warning.

Oh, no! Sorry that happened. It's a crap feeling, n.p.i.

That's a nice looking Avengers 24. I especially like the color. Only thing I don't like about silver age Marvels is the page quality, in general. But that one really pops! I can't tell from here how tight the cover is ... is that top staple a bit loose? Do you reckon it's about a 7.5 or 8.0? Love the color.

I find I'm particularly interested in comics that I've bought and graded and sold before. I've never read those early Avengers, but seeing the #24 I really sit up and notice. I wonder why that is? Some sort of affinity for comics I've owned before...
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
That's a nice looking Avengers 24. I especially like the color. Only thing I don't like about silver age Marvels is the page quality, in general. But that one really pops! I can't tell from here how tight the cover is ... is that top staple a bit loose? Do you reckon it's about a 7.5 or 8.0? Love the color.

I find I'm particularly interested in comics that I've bought and graded and sold before. I've never read those early Avengers, but seeing the #24 I really sit up and notice. I wonder why that is? Some sort of affinity for comics I've owned before...

Thanks! The cover is still tightly attached, and the pages are off white, along with the back cover. There is enough wear on it to make me think it would be in the 7.0-7.5 range. A proper press wouldn't hurt it either. The colors are sharp, even on the interiors. I've found the pence copies of SA and even BA Marvels take on a little more wear than their cents counterparts. Part of it, in my opinion, is the pence copies weren't as desirable, even to UK collectors. I've been lucky enough to find some in nice condition.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley correct. I'm from Australia and everyone turned up their nose to a pence copy. Rather the u.s. cover price copy.
Even to go as far as including the Australian cover price copies in early 90s as less desirable then U.S. cover price books
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:

I wondered how they'd react to that excuse. Now I'm wondering how they react if you said that you were in the process of taking it because he stopped you.
Post 60 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My brother had the opposite happen. He stated a cop pulled him over, and then said forget it. I have to go to bathroom. Brother counted himself lucky.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I wondered how they'd react to that excuse. Now I'm wondering how they react if you said that you were in the process of taking it because he stopped you.

Cop: "You could have an accident going that fast."
Studley_Dudley: "I could have an accident if I don't!"
Post 62 IP   flag post
I shoulda showed a little skin. Maybe csll him handsome. Just try to make it uncomfortable for him. Oh well.
Post 63 IP   flag post
A NM freebie from the LCS today. Another one off the list.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
You have an LCS that gives you free NM pence comics???? What did you do?? Did you save his dog in a fire, rescue his kid from drowning or stop the Joker from robbing his store??? WOW!!! Nice owner!!!
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
You have an LCS that gives you free NM pence comics???? What did you do?? Did you save his dog in a fire, rescue his kid from drowning or stop the Joker from robbing his store??? WOW!!! Nice owner!!!
If only. He gets the occasional pence book in due to the Air Force base being down the road. He gets collections from service members rotating in and out from overseas. Gets the mark jeweler variants in too. Anyways, he told me that I spend enough there and could just have it. I look at it as a way of maintaining positive LCS-customer relations.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley - Mike, he should roll out a red carpet when you show up for how many comics you post here each week!
Post 67 IP   flag post
Picked up my mail after my business trip. I got in the way of the light, sorry.

Post 68 IP   flag post

Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley very nice ๐Ÿ‘
Post 70 IP   flag post

10d
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I just got back from London. I did not make it to 30th Century comics as it was pretty far out of the way. I did make it to Orbital comics as it is pretty close to where we were staying. They did not have many pence copies. They did have a pence copy of Strange Tales 180 - 1st appearance of Gamora - for 150 pounds. The copy was VF at best so I passed.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I just got back from London. I did not make it to 30th Century comics as it was pretty far out of the way. I did make it to Orbital comics as it is pretty close to where we were staying. They did not have many pence copies. They did have a pence copy of Strange Tales 180 - 1st appearance of Gamora - for 150 pounds. The copy was VF at best so I passed.

There's no way I want to lift a comic that heavy.
Post 73 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes

There's no way I want to lift a comic that heavy.

lol!!!!๐Ÿป
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
So stoked about the new Moon Knight announcement! All the UK (pence) editions of all his early appearances (sans Moon Knight 1)

Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
So stoked about the new Moon Knight announcement! All the UK (pence) editions of all his early appearances (sans Moon Knight 1)

Kudos to your 9.4. High grade pence copies are not easy to come by.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Hcanes Thank you At the time I bought it, was the lone 9.4.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
So what are values like on Pence books? I bought an X-men 129 Pence by accident one late night on Ebay. Say it's a 9.0, any idea of value?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
So what are values like on Pence books? I bought an X-men 129 Pence by accident one late night on Ebay. Say it's a 9.0, any idea of value?
The values are where it can get tricky. At one point, a pence copy was about 15-30% less than its cents counterpart. However, I have been seeing some pence books being listed at an equal price compared to a cents copy. The gap is a little more narrow on the key books. Maybe about 10% less. The thing to understand is that the pence price variants are still first prints. Generally speaking, they have the same indicia, advertisements, and were printed at the same time. The only thing was that a few plates were swapped out to put the UK price on there. Additionally, pence priced books only constituted 5% + or - of a given issue when it was made. And even less survived because even the Brits turned their noses up at them. Finding them in especially high grade (9.2 or higher) is difficult. I have an X-Men 129 as well, and I paid the FMV for a 9.2 raw copy. If I had to compare it to anything else, I would say the market is like the newsstand editions. There may not be many, but the ones who go out looking for these books will pay premiums for higher grade copies. It's a niche market, so if you were looking to sell the 129, it could take time, but it will sell. It took me quite a few months to sell a Captain America 241 pence copy. Trust me, the buyers are there.
UK Price Variant Resource, this is a good site with a fairly comprehensive list of books that have pence price variants for Marvel and DC.

Post 79 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller - What @Studley_Dudley said (heโ€™s the Pence King!). Plus, they are cool and โ€œALL-COLOUR.โ€

Post 80 IP   flag post
601450 207 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?