Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPCertified Comics For SaleFor SaleMovies TelevisionSignatures

FS: Marvel Star Wars #1 CGC 9.6 Signed Chaykin7356

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I had submitted this book - before CBCS had offered the VSP service.

Thanks for viewing my auction.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302875929601
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector yamada69 private msg quote post Address this user
If I were to get this would you guarantee that it would come back a verified Howard Chaykin signature? It doesn't really look like a lot of his signatures?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector yamada69 private msg quote post Address this user
Soooo from your silence I am assuming you cannot guarantee the signature coming back an authentic one!
GLWTS!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Noone can guarantee ANY signature will come back as verified. If you were chaykin, signed the book yourself, while taking a video of you signing and sent it in, it could come back unverified.

It passes verification check, or it doesn't. No guarantees

That's the risk buying unverified vs verified
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector HaKoSuKa_GTR private msg quote post Address this user
I am confused in the ebay description it says "this is an original Howard Chaykin signature (gold ink) that I personally had acquired at a SDCC in the 1990s" is this correct? So If they pesonally got this signature from him he cannot guarantee it will come back his? doesn't make sense?!? Big red flag!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
listen this guy isnt trying to get over on anyone, all you newbies are on here trying to say he is trying to scam or red flags are up because he hasnt gotten back to you. the mans wife recently died hence him selling off a lot of his collection. he is probably slightly busy in other aspects of his life. so either wait on a response from him or dont say anything at all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@noahsult I appreciate your opinion and I can sympathize with a loss of a family member! As I had lost my child in Sandy Hook so please no need to preach. If the person is serious about selling, he would respond to the inquires. As for being a newbie, you have no clue what type of collection I have and to be honest I would prefer not to disclose what I have on a public forum.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaKoSuKa_GTR
I am confused in the ebay description it says "this is an original Howard Chaykin signature (gold ink) that I personally had acquired at a SDCC in the 1990s" is this correct? So If they pesonally got this signature from him he cannot guarantee it will come back his? doesn't make sense?!? Big red flag!!
it is impossible to guarantee a signature will come back verified. That's not how it works. The only guarantee of a red label is to already have a red label.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Others have said it but I'll restate it.

It is impossible to guarantee a signature will come back verified, EVEN WHEN the seller of the book personally collected and watched the creator sign the book him/her self. Because the person submitting the book saying "I saw this signed" plays zero part in the verification of the signature.

Signature verification works on matching signatures and plotting points of said signatures. Sometimes a perfectly legit signature just doesn't match close enough with known examples for an expert to say "this is legit". And in fact when signatures come back as failing signature verification, they don't say "this is a forged signature". They say something along the lines of "unable to verify"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@noahsult I appreciate your opinion and I can sympathize with a loss of a family member! As I had lost my child in Sandy Hook so please no need to preach. If the person is serious about selling, he would respond to the inquires. As for being a newbie, you have no clue what type of collection I have and to be honest I would prefer not to disclose what I have on a public forum.

Newbie refers to one's status on the discussion form (any discussion forum) Not how old you are what your collection is like. You are a "newbie" here. All of us were at some point.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
seller could always try to get book verified
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks is a stand up guy.

He may have purchased the book already signed, but I’m sure he’ll get back in time of auction’s end to confirm if the sig was signed in front of him or not.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Ironman @Wraith Thanks for the info. I am in awe of your knowledge! As I said before if the seller is serious about selling he would respond positively or negatively. At least he responds. He has the time to post what he is selling, he would have time to respond to an inquiry. Just my newbie two cents
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Ironman @Wraith Thanks for the info. I am in awe of your knowledge! As I said before if the seller is serious about selling he would respond positively or negatively. At least he responds. He has the time to post what he is selling, he would have time to respond to an inquiry. Just my newbie two cents
just tried to assist with your query... Sorry for that
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
As for being a newbie, you have no clue what type of collection I have and to be honest I would prefer not to disclose what I have on a public forum.

X-Force #1 Collector's Edition still sealed?!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Just to add my two cents to this... I may be new to this site but have been collecting for 50+ years.. On expensive books, Letters, cards, and just plain signatures I have always requested a guarantee..
I have had a few forgeries (may be to strong) mistakes made by sellers (maybe unbeknownst to them) on things like this.... Example.. I bought a original movie script used by one of the actors in a Frank Sinatra film it was signed by Sinatra himself.. it came with a official looking (notarized) COA..
the seller guaranteed it for me.. I then sent it off to PSA for a signature and script verification..
took about 30 days and it came back with a letter stating that the script is original but the signature was not.. it stated that that his secretary signed his name they said this happens a lot on his signatures...Seller refunded me but I was still out the verification fee...which was a lot less than the purchase price. A friend of mine bought a high end baseball with a autograph on it that was signed by his handler.. unfortunately he bought it at a auction with no guarantee he was out $800..
If its over a $100 and I tend to be once bitten twice shy.. Of course this is my opinion
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamada69
If I were to get this would you guarantee that it would come back a verified Howard Chaykin signature? It doesn't really look like a lot of his signatures?

I can guarantee I acquired the signature myself.

I cannot guarantee what another person will say - but I know it is genuine.

I'm selling my collection to get money. I'm not asking you to buy it and then, return it if you don't like it.

Seriously....I'm about to be foreclosed....I am really interested in just selling.

BTW - "my silence" was because I am not always on the boards.

Thanks for responding and viewing my auction.

Best regards,
Tim
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

No - I answered it.

It is a genuine Chaykin signature. Why would I acquire some one who is not Chaykin?

Sounds silly.

BTW Hako - I have many UNVERIFIED signatures.....and all are original.

Take it for what it is....or find another....it is your choice.

Thanks for viewing my auction.

Best regards,
Tim
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
seller could always try to get book verified

Hi Brash.

This is correct. I even went to a con with it to find out what the fees would be.

The AW said that they could crack it open, have it VSP and keep the grade the same....about $50.00.

I chose to hold off, because of my current hardships.

IMO - the book is genuine in ALL REGARDS....those who choose to disregard it, fine....I'm not twisting anybody to buy it.

Shoot...If I could keep it, I would and do what you suggest....turn it into a Red label.....

I just can't.

Thanks for viewing the auction and responding.

Best regards,
Tim
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@ZosoRocks is a stand up guy.

He may have purchased the book already signed, but I’m sure he’ll get back in time of auction’s end to confirm if the sig was signed in front of him or not.

I had purchased it clean.

Acquired signature in the 1990s at a SDCC.

I could go through my collection and find out the exact date he attended and was present, but chose to not do that. I have done that with other pieces of art/sketches, if interested.

It really is a nice book.....even in "green".....*smiles*....

Thanks for viewing the auction and responding.

Tim
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks to all who responded and viewed the auction.

Best regards and thanks for the condolences.

Tim
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Quote:
As for being a newbie, you have no clue what type of collection I have and to be honest I would prefer not to disclose what I have on a public forum.

X-Force #1 Collector's Edition still sealed?!

Are you looking for one? I have one with "two Shatterstar cards" sealed inside.

Is this a common variant - with 2 cards? - I don't know.

I'll eventually get to it and when I do, I'll place a link to it on the forum.

Best regards,
Tim
Post 22 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
it is impossible to guarantee a signature will come back verified. That's not how it works. The only guarantee of a red label is to already have a red label.

Actually no, that IS how guarantees work. If I say to you, "I guarantee the signature is real," then I'm saying I stand behind it, I am making a promise. If it comes back and it isn't real, I make good on my promise. Details worked out in advance, of course, but it is pretty silly to say guarantees don't exist.

It is impossible to state with certainty that a signature will come back with a red label. But it is very easy to offer someone a guarantee that it will.

Having said that, I understand that Tim isn't guaranteeing his comic. But his word is good enough, IMO ... Based on context and history, I believe it is Chaykin's signature. And a 9.6? Hell, I am barely on the fence for buying it myself right now. If anyone really wants it, I suggest you pull the trigger sooner rather than later.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:

Actually no, that IS how guarantees work. If I say to you, "I guarantee the signature is real," then I'm saying I stand behind it, I am making a promise. If it comes back and it isn't real, I make good on my promise. Details worked out in advance, of course, but it is pretty silly to say guarantees don't exist.

It is impossible to state with certainty that a signature will come back with a red label. But it is very easy to offer someone a guarantee that it will.

Having said that, I understand that Tim isn't guaranteeing his comic. But his word is good enough, IMO ... Based on context and history, I believe it is Chaykin's signature. And a 9.6? Hell, I am barely on the fence for buying it myself right now. If anyone really wants it, I suggest you pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

Thanks for viewing the auction Ted.

And you are right....I know I had Chaykin sign the book in front of me. I don't have a picture, because I wasn't thinking of selling it for "guarantees". I had it signed, because it was a cool thing to have done.

I don't regret it not being VSP...and will eventually transform it myself when I can (if I am able and it doesn't sell).....but right now....that is not a priority and someone else can benefit from me not doing so.

Thanks again for the support...I'm just trying to get through a changed life.....and I don't expect to twist anyone's arm into buying anything I offer. They don't want it....no problem....

No skin off my back....but I do think it is below the "ballpark" in price for a high grade signed book. Others may think otherwise.....I'm good with that.

Cheers!
Post 24 IP   flag post
601380 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?