Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

ComicSkin Product Review (YouTube Video)735

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
You make a good point Catman about conventions. The Comicskins would be nice for displaying high dollar or real high grade comic books as wall books at a convention. I guess one could price the book with the Comicskins and then if someone wants a break on the book, one could offer it for $15 less by removing and selling the book without the Comicskin. I do not have all my wall books with Mylar and top loaders protecting my wall books and I get paranoid that one will fall off my display and get damaged. I am sure there are some horror stories about that. I have scene it happen too many times with dealers with inside isle displays getting knocked off by a dealer behind them or next to them. If I am displaying books then I prefer a wall spot to support my wall display. I think I will just order about 3 dozen more top loaders .
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@CatmanAmerica Do you write for a living?

Ugh...

Double ugh. A real writer wouldn't use so many bad puns.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
They look interesting but I think I will wait for some more member reviews before getting one. The price seems pretty good.

My only negative would be I'm Not crazy about the huge dull black label area at the top.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
They look interesting but I think I will wait for some more member reviews before getting one. The price seems pretty good.

My only negative would be I'm Not crazy about the huge dull black label area at the top.

The black label is removable and can be replaced with your own custom labels.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I think that'd be the perfect use for Thanos' label concepts instead of as an alternative graded label
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine

The black label is removable and can be replaced with your own custom labels.

Really? Well shit. That changes things then
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
So no material update yet?
Post 32 IP   flag post
On their facebook page they did say it was acid free and archival quality, but didn't name the material. (this is the backing boards I'm referring to)
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
At almost $20 apiece, you might as well just slab your books.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon

Well getting them slabbed is of course better but a lot more costly. Especially depending on where you live.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Seems a little odd that several of us have emailed them asking what materials are used and they haven't responded to anyone.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon

They are $16 if you don't buy in bulk. And the whole point of them is for people who want the protection of a slab but want to be able to remove the book whenever they want. These things serve a completely different niche than certified grading.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
@CatmanAmerica Do you write for a living?

Ugh...

Double ugh. A real writer wouldn't use so many bad puns.

Apparently you've never read the work of Fredric Brown or Robert Asprin. Take two and call your librarian in the morning.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not that sure about these guys. They haven't responded to my inquiry and I took the quiz on their website, receiving a $2.00 off coupon. When I tried to place the order, about 4 minutes later, it said the coupon, which I just received, was expired.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
I'm not that sure about these guys. They haven't responded to my inquiry and I took the quiz on their website, receiving a $2.00 off coupon. When I tried to place the order, about 4 minutes later, it said the coupon, which I just received, was expired.

Same for me but I didn't try to order. I've sent 2 emails asking what the material is.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Just got an email from them.
Below is directly from comic Skins:
-----
Thanks for reaching out, really appreciate it. The inner sleeve of the Comic Skin openable slab and the crystal-clear backing boards are made from acid free archival quality plastics.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I got a reply as well.

"The inner sleeve is made from an acid free archival quality plastic."

Not really an answer, but oh well.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
I got a reply as well.

"The inner sleeve is made from an acid free archival quality plastic."

Not really an answer, but oh well.

True, not the information you requested, but if accurate, the archival quality is important. Unless I somehow overlooked it, I didn't see anything about their products archival safeness on their site.

I've gotta say, these guys must be among the worst marketers on the planet (I'm being very generous in intergalactic terms).

If I were promoting products like this I'd emphasize the archival quality up front and mention the type of plastics used. Conservation info is essential when you're trying to attract business from a preservation minded audience.

I'd also have an intelligently produced YouTube video linked on the site demonstrating the product's durability and ease of use.

Instead of a goofy quiz, I'd have a Q&A page that answered questions about the products and services and a testimonial page from satisfied customers praising the products. I realize this enterprise may be too new for the latter, but it would be easy to devise a Q&A page without testimonials or inquiries.

With the right marketing these products could take off as they fill an untapped niche between raw and third party graded. The designers just need to get their act together.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I think I am going to wait to see what others think and what kinds of results they get. If you use the product and it ISN'T archival, you could wind up screwing up your books.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I received this message from them today.

"We don't share the name of the plastics we use for proprietary reasons. However it is the same plastic material used by some of the major grading companies and is acid-free and of archival quality."
Post 45 IP   flag post
It's true, these guys are sitting on an untapped gold mine that they have no clue about how to successfully market.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I don't know. The more I hear, the less likely I am to use the product. The website isn't very professional. They don't discuss the archival qualities of their product. When we ask for details on the product materials, we get non-answers. They sent me the link to the video from earlier in this thread. That's hardly the image I would want for my product. Now they tell DarthLego they won't share the name of the plastics for proprietary reasons but say its the same plastic used by major grading companies. If that's true, what is the proprietary issue?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Is there a way to home test the acidity of a plastic? I'd be willing to experiment.
Post 48 IP   flag post
They made right the expired coupon, so I ordered a regular size comic skin. I'll let everyone know what I think once I've had a chance to mess with it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I got my Comic Skin today and here's what I think of it.

The concept is great for people like myself who like they way the slab looks for showcase, but don't care about the grade.

PLUSES
1.Sturdy exterior. Similar to old CGC and PGX, but doesn't have the give that CBCS has due to their slab being a plastic/rubber hybrid.
2.You can design your own label and put in the top. The black one it comes with is removable, so you can do whatever you want with it.

MINUSES
1.The clips to hold it closed are too small and made from a brittle plastic. I snapped the bottom one trying to remove it. Since one of the selling points is being able to remove the book and reuse, this is a major problem for me.
2.Doesn't hold the comic as snug as I'd like. Forcing the clips on (and it takes force) cause the book to shift inside the well. Shaken Comic Syndrome is more likely with this case. If you are just using it for display it's fine, but I wouldn't use it for travel.

I've contacted their customer service about replacement parts and suggested they make the clips out of a less brittle plastic. We'll see how it goes, but for now, I can't recommend the product.

Once they get back to me, I'll let everyone know.

I've attached pictures of what it looks like, using my new Nightwing 1. If you look at the bottom, you can see the broken clip.

Post 50 IP   flag post
@D84 That's certainly a shame but thanks for taking one for the team! Hopefully someone puts out a better version of this product at some point
Post 51 IP   flag post
If they just fix the clips, I'd be happy. For me, it's a nice looking display. I've already started designing the custom Nightwing label.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I actually ordered a five pack for a display I want to do. Now I'm trying to find a couple dozen cheap stands to display them with on a shelf. I'll also be displaying a bunch of comics in toploaders, all with the same cover theme.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I heard back form them quickly. He said he'll send me replacement parts free of charge (I did offer to pay) and is looking into a more flexible plastic for the future. If they fix the plastic on the clips, I'm sold.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@D84 Good news all around!
Post 55 IP   flag post
601361 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?