Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Holy grail story, like to hear yours7331

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
To shorten the story, bought a Batman 2, didn't realize it but it had a 15cent price instead of the 10 cent. It was the first known or noted copy. Since I think there was 5 found. I traded the book in 93 for a Spider-Man run 1-42, fantastic four 1-44 and a tos 39. I sold the Spider-Man and the ff's off, (so wish I didn't now) but I kept the tos 39 because it was such a nice copy. I'm posting the color copy I had made, the magazine the book was shown in and the tos39. Want to hear about your holy grail finds

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Crunkpostit private msg quote post Address this user
I dunno who got the better deal. It's like Iron Fist first sabertooth price variant.

Do you regret trading it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Professionally restored!!!!! Aaagh!!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this back in the 90's at an antique store in San Luis Obispo, CA. It was not graded at the time but well worth it. $500 out the door.

Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
That's what I'm talking about, I had 800 in the Batman 2 with the restoration, I think I sold all the other books for 4-5000
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beautiful copy and congrats
Post 6 IP   flag post
I tried to research the sales of the other copies, they don't come up. I sure wish I still had it, but it would be hard to give the tos, value wise, I'm better offQuote:
Originally Posted by Crunkpostit
I dunno who got the better deal. It's like Iron Fist first sabertooth price variant.

Quote:

Post 7 IP   flag post
Yeah looks like you got a lot of sweet keys for it.

That xmen #1 was a very nice $500 investment. Man I remember those old cgc labels lol.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector IcantfindwhatIwant private msg quote post Address this user
I love a good grail story, great thread.

I recently just found mine. FF#4 is an elusive book, especially for my price range. After constantly checking eBay, all day, everyday for months. Lots of ups and downs, feelings of hope and dispair, I finally saw a lower grade book in the range I Could afford. Seeing the book, feeling the rush, it turns the legs to jelly. I pulled the trigger immediately, as I knew this book was recently put up for sale and wouldn’t last long.

I had to sell a few of the nicer books in my collection after I made the purchase... perfectly balanced as all things should be. It’s in the hands of CBCS now. Regardless of grade, it feels great to have such an important piece of comic book history.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Press that beauty! Looks to be a 3-4 in current condition.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector IcantfindwhatIwant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Haha, funny enough that photo is after pressing. They didn’t want to be too aggressive since the staples were already very loose. It’s a vast improvement. Here’s pre-pressing.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
Mine had to be this copy of ASM 3. Got it in 2015 for I think like 490 it was a cgc 2.0 and I knew it was mine the minute I saw it (as it looks really Nice for a 2) I enjoyed it and later cracked it out of the case and enjoyed reading and touching the open book for about a year then I met stan and had him sign it for me, he signed it on a really good spot and now it's graded back up again and it looks really nice in its case (I know it's cgc, I collect both cbcs and cgc, I don't favor either) this book began my love not only for Steve ditko (which is the main reason why I collect, because I love his art so much) and began my collecting hobby. For the record I collect for the art for the enjoyment for its history NOT for resell value, I don't care for that. It's my book until I hit dead, never will touch the market. You can have all my others but not this copy, lol. Just love it to bits. And I enjoy seeing it everyday. Glad to own it. That's my holy grail. (Sentimental value mainly, but it also has a good money value tagged to it too, not that I care though) also doc ock is my faviote comic book villain and ASM 3 is one of my Favorite covers. Mainly just for my love of ditko.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcantfindwhatIwant
Quote:

Haha, funny enough that photo is after pressing. They didn’t want to be too aggressive since the staples were already very loose. It’s a vast improvement. Here’s pre-pressing.

That's a vast improvement! Grats to you sir!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
Mine had to be this copy of ASM 3. Got it in 2015 for I think like 490 it was a cgc 2.0 and I knew it was mine the minute I saw it (as it looks really Nice for a 2) I enjoyed it and later cracked it out of the case and enjoyed reading and touching the open book for about a year then I met stan and had him sign it for me, he signed it one a really good spot and now it's graded back up again and it looks really nice in its case (I know it's cgc, I collect both cbcs and cgc, I don't favor either) this book began my love not only for Steve ditko (which is the main reason why I collect, because I love his art so much) and began my collecting hobby. For the record I collect for the art for he enjoyment for its history NOT for resell value, I don't care for that. It's my book until I hit dead, never will touch the market. You can have all my others but not this copy, lol. Just love it to bits. And I enjoy seeing it everyday. Glad to own it. That's my holy grail. (Sentimental value mainly, but it also has a good money value tagged to it too, not that I care though) also doc ock is my faviote comic book villain and ASM 3 is one of my Favorite covers. Mainly just for my love of ditko.

That is one sweet book and I've always liked doc oc. To get the stan lee image you had to pay an extra $5? Very nice.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
@Crunkpostit thank you! For the stan label, you know how it is, cgc and their charging extra money for everything, but once again it is a book that is mine to stay and I think the book presents well with the stan label,it adds "class" 😂, so I payed up the extra money just so I can enjoy it for myself
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcantfindwhatIwant
I love a good grail story, great thread.

I recently just found mine. FF#4 is an elusive book, especially for my price range. After constantly checking eBay, all day, everyday for months. Lots of ups and downs, feelings of hope and dispair, I finally saw a lower grade book in the range I Could afford. Seeing the book, feeling the rush, it turns the legs to jelly. I pulled the trigger immediately, as I knew this book was recently put up for sale and wouldn’t last long.

I had to sell a few of the nicer books in my collection after I made the purchase... perfectly balanced as all things should be. It’s in the hands of CBCS now. Regardless of grade, it feels great to have such an important piece of comic book history.

Good timing, all the fantastic four's are on a major upswing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I have a friend in Southern California who's known for having bought Action #1 at the astoundingly high price $1801.26 back in 1973. His name is Mitchell Mehdy. When local newspapers got hold of the story it catapulted him into the media spotlight. He appeared on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow program back then and because of the media exposure it increased attention to comic collecting nationally.

One of his closest friends was comic collector/dealer Theo Holstein who also sold him the Action #1. Fast forward four decades, Theo has become a major player in many types of big ticket collectibles. Through Mitch I was able to contact Theo and negotiate the purchase of two incredible grails for my collection, the first being the original Alex Schomburg painting recreating his famous death-ray war cover for Marvel Mystery Comics #66...

This was one of the three Timely/Marvel paintings Alex provided Buccaneer Graphics for a limited edition signed & numbered print run along with an unsigned edition.

I'll tease out the other grail acquired through Theo in another post.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
good deals can also be made these days. i bought a dealer lot of 30 Black Panther #2 last year before the shuri fever really took off. some of you might recall that they showed them last year/early this year. i recently decided that it was time to grade a few so i just grabbed 10 if them (not be selective) - had them done a quick press and subbed them.

out of the 10 7 came back as 9.8 and 3 as 9.6. also subbed some eternal warriors i had purchased at the same time - of the 5 i subbed 3 came back as 9.8 and 2 as 9.6

not a bad deal at all - still have 20 copies of BP 2 to go

Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve got a couple grail stories, here is a more recent one that may be unappealing to many folks, as it’s about newsstand collecting and only worth a few thousand.

Newsstand X-Men 1 had four covers and was released one in each corner of the country on the stands. Because I was only happy with 9.8 or better, finding a single one was extremely difficult; never mind all four scattered throughout the country.

Over the years I must’ve bought hundreds of copies online searching for high grades. Dug through so many boxes of drek at comic stores and comic cons. Surprisingly enough it was Chuck Rozanski that helped complete my set with his massive collection. He gouged me good on the price for the last few but I was more than happy to pay it.

While considering putting them together for professional grading, a complete 9.8 set popped up on ebay. All those years of searching, and there it was already put together from some other newsstand collector that had sold his lots to a dealer.

Of course I bought it, and detailed it here https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4896/page/1/x-men-1-newsstand-grail/

Fast forward a several months, I upgraded one of my copies and now had what I consider to be the highest grade possible (defects only visible with very good eyes or magnification). Because of the efforts I had gone through for my own set, I kept it and let go of the eBay set to a fellow newsstand enthusiast here on the boards. It is in the hands of someone who will enjoy the hell out of it!

I would be surprised if more than one of the sets were put together in the next decade. It was such an extremely fun grail hunt, I almost want to do it again! * but no, as it was frustrating as hell sometimes 😁

Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I once turned a pile of Star Wars #1’s into a Hulk #1.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

Reminds me of the old “Steve Ricketts Facts” thread that DarthLego did

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2060/page/1/steve-ricketts-facts/

Maybe we need a Joe Pressing Facts thread?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

Nice job on those BP2.as mentioned I have 20 more to come
Post 22 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
My story hasn’t happened yet.
@shrewbeer I totally appreciate the newsstand edition hunt for X-men 1’s. They are harder to find than high valued Keys.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I literally just found a newsstand wolverine cyclops 1 in my storage bins, but it could use a press for sure. Not a 9.8 by the looks of things in its current state.

Are these really that rare? I will go through the hassle to try and get it cleaned and pressed up if it's really all that valuable.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Probably my current top grail story is my 5x signed Incredible Hulk #181. I bought this book back in late 2014/early 2015 as a CGC 9.0 with 3x signatures (Stan Lee, Herb Trimpe and Romita Sr.). The case had a pretty big crack in it but it didn't seem to affect the book at all so the crack actually got me a decent deal on it and I was planning on cracking it to add Len Wein and Roy Thomas anyways. I added them both and then had the book pressed by CCS and re-graded. To my happy surprise, the book actually came back 9.4 (I was hoping for 9.2). This is definitely one of the top pieces in my collection and will be hard to top for a while I think

Post 25 IP   flag post
@DJC_II if not a 9.8 then probably not worth having graded. Most newsstand collectors wont touch anything under 9.8, a few will grab 9.6s as placeholders. If its got 9.8 potential, you could pull a quick $400 on ebay if it makes the grade
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Not really a grail but it's my favorite comic so far, got it for my birthday
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Reminds me of the old “Steve Ricketts Facts” thread that DarthLego did

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2060/page/1/steve-ricketts-facts/

Maybe we need a Joe Pressing Facts thread?

I used to have one on the CGC boards. Kinda still have one, but it is more cryptic.
Doubt CBCS would allow it, even in jest.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Well for me it would be how Joe spent 2 months trying to find a way to separate a back cover attached to a board and when finally succeeding came back graded as 9.4
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If I had a dollar for every time I've head this story... That being said, I'd give almost anything right about now to here it again over dinner.
Post 30 IP   flag post
611379 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?