Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPPop CultureQuestionsToys

Action Figures!733

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Are you going to consider grading action figures, carded or loose? Make CGC and AFA sweat a little, imo. I could really use the verified signature program for that.

With recent petitions and controversies swirling around both entities...I'd prefer CBCC for all my needs.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
In all my years of collecting and flea marketing I've never once encountered an AFA graded action figure in the wild.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I had bought one once, and then traded it to a guy at a fleamarket in WV where I live and so there was at least one before around 10 years ago
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
What do you mean? AFA graded action figures rarely go on public sale, or you're saying you never knew anyone who had toys graded by AFA?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I knew AFA existed, but I've never actually seen one in real life.
Post 5 IP   flag post
As to the original topic...It is not the right time for CBCS to look into this kind of branching out. They haven't even introduced treasury sized slabs yet. They need to focus on knocking CGC off it's pedestal first.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
They need to do magazine grading before they do treasury grading. And look at it from CGC/CBCS' viewpoint, slabbing treasuries is a losing proposition, unless they charge an ungodly amount to do it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I agree I need to see magazine size for my ninja turtle, Howard the duck, Incredible Hulk, and masters of kung fu magazines.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Btw I got a TMNT Scratch the cat today!
Post 9 IP   flag post
You've had too much Kool Aid
Post 10 IP   flag post
I meant that as grading all the bigger sizes, I have no idea how big a Treasury is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
All I know is I want my TMNT #4 in a CBCS slab.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I meant that as grading all the bigger sizes, I have no idea how big a Treasury is.

That makes sense, since there are no variant Treasury 2nd print sketch covers that I know of They're way bigger than a magazine.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Treasury editions are like 18"x36" I'm exaggerating but they are much larger than a magazine. All of mine from the 70s and 80s are barely $50 each though. Not incredibly valuable or worth grading imo

The most interesting piece I have is I have the treasury edition to Superman boxing Muhammad Ali done by Neal Adams and I had him sign it it's one of my favorites
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I wish CBCS did magazine slabs. I hate to say it, but at this year's SDCC, I am having to go over to the CGC booth to get my TMNT 2-4 slabbed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Treasury editions are like 18"x36" I'm exaggerating but the are much larger. All of mine from the 70s and 80s are barely $50 each.

Heh, they seem that big when you go from a Modern to a Treasury. I believe they are 10 x 14. The largest comic ever is 21 tall x 14 wide:

http://www.comics.org/issue/20924/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
The most interesting piece I have is I have the treasury edition to Superman boxing Muhammad Ali done by Neal Adams and I had him sign it it's one of my favorites

Yup, that's a good one. If you're a Neal Adams freak you've got to get C-51, the Ras Al Ghul saga. Great cover on that one.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't collect 2nd print sketch variants 😝

Right now this is the largest comic I own.

Post 17 IP   flag post
that's a good one #12
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it's worth it submitting an AFA, especially for 90s and newer (Modern?) action figures.
Most of the AFA graded figures I've seen are mostly grading the packaging, instead of the action figure. That's very sad, because the packaging is very minor compared to what's inside. Very different from grading a trading card or comic book, where it's really just paper/carton.

And how can you not unleash action figures?

Post 19 IP   flag post
Some are the exception, like mailaway bagged figures. But, I respectfully disagree with your comment on 90s and newer action figures.

I have a TMNT Scratch the Cat from 1993 worth $1200
a TMNT Shogun Triceraton from 1994 worth $700
a TMNT Shogun Shoate from 1994 worth $500
a TMNT Undercover Leo with cloth trenchcoat, gold coin, signed from the personal collection co-creator Peter Laird worth well over $800.

It's true, you're grading the card. Punched, unpunched, bubble clear, cloudy, yellowed, etc, shelf wear or not, etc. It's no different imo

You just have to treat it accordingly. My most fragile toys I have had custom acrylic cases made from CGA Collectible Grading Authority, the company AFA uses (if not the same company). I have had cases made for my loose previously unreleased Peter Laird plush TMNT prototypes, the fugitoid metal flake prototype, 1991 chef boyardee exclusive super shredder, the giant bebop and giant rocksteady, and giant 1991 krang's android body with unpainted brain, still bagged and unused attached sticker sheet and instruction manual. Ridiculous.

Yeah, CBCS would make a killing. Probably from just me.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke You should start your own action figure grading company, the market needs competition. I've never liked how AFA cases their toys anyway, with the sticker label stuck inside always at an angle you can't even read.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I like to think of myself as a "spot on" raw grader of ungraded afa quality ninja turtle toys. It's hard to judge sometimes, due to color breaking creases on cards or wavy lines. The toughest for me though are the cloudiness of a bubble. I don't have a tool or scope for that. I have a Kenshin from TMNT III movie action figure line that bothers me. I can't decide if it's yellowed or not.
Post 22 IP   flag post
You have NO IDEA how bad I want to open them. That's besides the point.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke For those figures, they are definitely worth grading. I didn't consider the Mail-away and other rare editions, including "error card" action figures when I shared my opinion.

Yeah, hey.. why don't CBCS explore this business opportunity? This is a totally different animal to comics, but they will offer a much better alternative indeed, than AFA.

Who from CBCS can we tag to share their opinions on this?
Post 24 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts for starters.

I don't think I could afford to get all my toys graded. It cost a small fortune to even get to where I'm at now.
Post 25 IP   flag post
They have so many other fish to fry before they even consider such an expansion. We still haven't gotten magazine sized grading for our TMNTs. That's priority #1 in my opinion.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Agreed. I need my TMNT #1, 2, 3, and 4s and Raphael and Fugitoids all slabbed by CBCS. I'd pay ridiculous money to get those with red labels. All of them. COUGH @SteveRicketts COUGH
Post 27 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke man, at least have the courtesy to put gloves on before asking Steve to cough.
Post 28 IP   flag post
voted 5 times if i could
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
They probably haven't done it yet because people will just bitch about how they did it "wrong" once it's released.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600782 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?