Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

What's the best suggestion for keeping 9.8 after a remark7320

Collector Lundon44 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I attended my local Expo over the weekend where CBCS and on of my favorite cover artists (Mike Mayhew) were present. I decided to crack a fav modern book of his that was already signed and graded CBCS 9.8 to have a couple remarks done. Mike tried his best to reassure me he's very careful (I believe him) and has a decent track record of having books come back in 9.8 that go into him at 9.8 grades. I also had the CBCS rep (who was fairly seasoned) take a look at the book after the work was done and he deterred me from wasting additional money for a pressing because in his opinion, the book looked worthy without a pressing to him.

The book I cracked isn't necessarily an expensive modern book but I'd love to do whatever else I can to keep maintain that 9.8 grade if possible. I read somewhere that despite to book looking like it maintained it's original physical shape that something as small as invisible fingerprints can drop a grade to a 9.6 or 9.4. Looking back, the book was handled quite a bit by Mike, myself and the CBCS rep and unfortunately I wasn't thinking at the time about doing a courtesy wipe down with a soft cloth afterwards and now I regret not thinking about that.

I handed the book back to CBCS for re-grading at the end of it all. And while I know CBCS offers a pressing service, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make a special request to clean the front and back cover of prints during that process.

Any suggestions or thoughts around this? Am I screwed? Am I being too paranoid? Or would a courtesy pressing just as an additional precaution be suggested here for piece of mind?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest doing the additional pressing as the book could have suffered damages during shipment to CBCS offices. Did you take pictures of the book before handing it over to CBCS's rep? I would always recommend you do in order to record the state of your comic and in order for them to respond in case it suffers any damages.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Did you take pictures of the book before handing it over to CBCS's rep? I would always recommend you do in order to record the state of your comic and in order for them to respond in case it suffers any damages.

I do have a picture or 2 of the cover but it was taken more so to capture the work and the remarks. I'd didn't take any pics of the back cover.

Any clue if the pressing service is a press/clean? Or just a press?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Cleaning is part of the pressing. You have to understand too the laws of physics and humans being human. Anything can happen, and the slightest ding could knock it down to a 9.6. It's impossible to guarantee a 9.8 from a 9.8. All we can do is try our best to maintain it. "We", as in, all of us, and grading companies, we all try to protect our books the best we can. Good luck!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Just so you know, Mike does most (if not all) of his remarks in paint which sits on top of the book and doesn't really absorb into the paper like pen/sharpie does. For that reason, many pressers would be quite hesitant to press a book with that type of paint remark and for good reason, much higher risk of softening and pulling off of the book. I typically discourage people from pressing after we get Mayhew remarks or trying to get the book pressed before getting signed/remarked (when dealing with paint)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Anything can happen, and the slightest ding could knock it down to a 9.6. It's impossible to guarantee a 9.8 from a 9.8.

You're absolutely right. I already know that keeping a graded (especially a 9.8) after signatures/remarks is almost like winning the lottery lol. I have no expectations that it will actually come back to me in a 9.8.. but if there's anything I can do to improve my chances from say 1:100 to 1:50 then I'm all for it!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Just so you know, Mike does most (if not all) of his remarks in paint which sits on top of the book and doesn't really absorb into the paper like pen/sharpie does. For that reason, many pressers would be quite hesitant to press a book with that type of paint remark and for good reason, much higher risk of softening and pulling off of the book. I typically discourage people from pressing after we get Mayhew remarks or trying to get the book pressed before getting signed/remarked (when dealing with paint)

Great insight! This is good to know so I appreciate that. I guess I'm torn now.

Sorry, just a thought.. but could the book be pressed on top and bottom only so that I'm getting most of of the covers and corners but avoiding actual area where the remarks are?

Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
No it doesn't work like that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Mike's ears must have been burning...

I still wouldn't risk it if it were my books...I've personally seen paint get pulled off during a press (not Mikes)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Mike's ears must have been burning...

I still wouldn't risk it if it were my books...I've personally seen paint get pulled off during a press (not Mikes)

Hahaha wow! Funny timing, I guess I'm on the fence here. Ugh.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
If the person working on the book knows what he is doing, the remarks should be fine. Problem is too many people out there who don’t know what they’re doing, attempting to work on a book like this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
If the person working on the book knows what he is doing, the remarks should be fine. Problem is too many people out there who don’t know what they’re doing, attempting to work on a book like this.

I kinda thought the same actually. I would have to assume that if CBCS is responsible for the pressing that would take a little more care with a unique remark like this. I think I'll just go with their pressing and cross my fingers for the best!
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

Just turn the press up to 500 degrees, full intense pressure, and squish it good for an hour. No problem 👌🏻
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry I meant to say 5,000F. Paint reacts better that way.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ahhh... yes. Makes more sense lol.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Just turn the press up to 500 degrees, full intense pressure, and squish it good for an hour. No problem

Don't forget to spin it
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
If the 9.8 matters more to you than the signature - just don't. Basically your book has no where to go grade wise but down. Your chances of the grade improving to 9.9 are nearly non-existent. Where your chances of dropping to 9.6 or 9.4 are actually quite high.

That said, if you submit a book previously graded 9.8 and get a signature, here are the two things you can do to improve the odds of it keeping 9.8. IMPROVE the odds. No assurance.

1) Pick a great solid 9.8. If you look at the book and think "gee, I was lucky to get a 9.8" that's not a good choice. If you look at the book and think "gee, 9.9's and 10's must be lottery tickets, this 9.8 is perfect" than use that one.

2) Get it pressed after signing by someone both approved by the grading company to press books and keep the authentic signature (very important) AND who knows what they are doing. Signed books can be safely pressed.

All that said, I NEVER use slabbed 9.8's for signatures. I'd rather go purchase a nice looking 9.4/9.6, press after the signature and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Rather than risk the disappointment of a grade drop using 9.8's
Post 17 IP   flag post
Great advice!

I agree with everything you said. In fact, pretty much exactly what I would say to someone else in my position.

I've only cracked a slab one other time for signatures. Crazily enough, it was ASM #300 in 9.8. Though I lucked out and came back 9.8 again 3 signatures later. I don't think I understood at the time I did how crazy I actually was for doing it. Although this was years ago when it was only a $500 book for a 9.8.

This book is no where near as worthy, so for me it's more about the wow factor and personal interest. I think I may actually go the pressing route on this one and roll the dice!
Post 18 IP   flag post
So after almost 10 days, multiple emails and probably 20+ calls trying to get someone on the phone I finally received an email response today.

Because the ASM #800 was submitted on the 2-Day tier with a 2-Day turnaround time I've been advised it was already graded and ready to ship.

I asked if they could confirm the grade. They said it got 9.8 so the pressing would be a waste. I guess I got lucky from the sounds of it!
Post 19 IP   flag post
603239 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?