CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Witnessing Your Own Books?730

Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This thread should be locked. just saying

Why? I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not trying to start any trouble, just clarify what Kingdone was saying.
If an artist is sending in his own work saying he signed it, i'm ok with that but if a collector is sending in books, saying he witnessed his books getting signed, i'm not so ok.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Oh nah I wasn't referring to you @VAComicsGuy I hope it didn't seem that way. I'm just saying the original topics have been addressed and I forsee this turning slideways.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
To the OP that is a gorgeous cover though, how unique and weird. It kinda fits in the same category as that weird zombie ninja turtle walking dead sketch cover though. I'm not a fan of random sketch covers. I say that ironically as I have a shredder sketch by a no-name artist cover for a IDW TMNT comic book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Oh nah I wasn't referring to you @VAComicsGuy I hope it didn't seem that way. I'm just saying the original topics have been addressed and I forsee this turning slideways.

No issues with you at all. I just try to make sure I'm not seen as trying to cause any drama or problems. Rumor has it that there are people who frequent forums and they like to argue, be difficult and cause problems.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
Oh yes! Definitely there are those that attempt to create mayhem and dissension. They disappear rather quickly when confronted with facts and truths.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdone
i know more then one person who witnesses their own books to send to cbcs, one even post openly about it and sells the books with that option as part of an "elite group",so its gotta be kinda legit to do.

They post openly about it? Any links?

Quote:

It was addressed, but kingdone made a statement contradicting all other replies (not claiming any of those replies were correct as CBCS did not comment).
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It's interesting, a random board member PM'd when this thread was first going making the same claims. Of course no evidence was provided and they didn't choose to comment openly in the thread.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a New Teen Titans annual #1 signed by both Marv Wolfman and George Perez. It was signed way back in the 80's.

It's not a key, so it's probably not worth getting it authenticated, sadly. But, it's nice to own!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Scipio2000 private msg quote post Address this user
There is a theoretical way a person can self-authenticate an autograph.

You take a photo of the person signing your book, along with a photo of you with that person.

Then, you execute a contract of sale that allows the person buying the book from you to get a full refund on the purchase price, and you'll pay for them to return it, if they take it to a 3rd party authenticator and they say that it's not genuine.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
That's just stupid
Post 35 IP   flag post
Pay the freaking fee, have a witness and enjoy.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm me thinks there would be a bit of "conflict of interest" in witnessing your own books.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector gatwick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Hmmm me thinks there would be a bit of "conflict of interest" in witnessing your own books.

I've seen several 3rd party CBCS witnesses at shows, witnessing their own books getting signed. And yeah it's a massive conflict of interest.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:

HUGE conflict of interest. It's simple manipulation. Now if people were generally honest, then it wouldn't be an issue, but integrity of the grading company is compromised by those people who take advantage of things. If a signature was self witnessed and came back as not authentic, it would spell doom for that company. At least the signature program.

Which is kinda shaky to begin with.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatwick
Quote:

I've seen several 3rd party CBCS witnesses at shows, witnessing their own books getting signed. And yeah it's a massive conflict of interest.

This is why I am submitting with the other company this round. The program's integrity isn't the quality I am looking for at this time
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Quote:

This is why I am submitting with the other company this round. The program's integrity isn't the quality I am looking for at this time
So your saying that CGC SS program that some witnesses don't witness their own books? Interesting
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Quote:

So your saying that CGC SS program that some witnesses don't witness their own books? Interesting

I'm saying the system integrity is more established. It's happened, and I am positive it continues to happen, and it doesn't matter which grading company, it's going to happen.

I feel CGC has a better handle on their program due to the amount of time and trust it has taken to build it. CBCS is still fresh out the gate
Post 42 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
@MetalPSI I'm not going to argue the way you feel. I will say CGC is the company that deleted posts about the new holder by the mass loads. They are the company that never took any responsibility for the wavy appearance of books. Not to mention the fact that the guy that presses your book could be the same guy that grades his own handy work.
CBCS is by no means perfect and I really really wish they would make a statement about the label. I also wish they could get a pre-1975 book graded for the 23 dollar range. I know I'm not talking about the SS programs but with the issues listed above I think I know which company I would lean toward.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Hey I totally agree with you. They are pompous and arrogant, and handled that new case completely wrong.

However, their SS program had nothing to do with that
Post 44 IP   flag post
At this point I wouldn't let CGC slab a Chinese takeout menu.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Talk to Jimmy Pasta.

I'm done talking about it
Post 46 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Even if it was signed by Bruce Lee and witnessed?

Of course we didn't have AW's back then so it would just be a menu with a name written on it.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

Even if it was signed by Bruce Lee and witnessed?

Of course we didn't have AW's back then so it would just be a menu with a name written on it.

CBCS could VSP it
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
I thought this was already being done, out of assumption.

I mean, I see a lot of AWs selling slabbed books. There is a presumption that they had it slabbed with the intent of selling immediately after slabbing, and I don't think they had to tap someone as a different AW to witness the book they're selling.

I think it's a valid topic, and there's a lot of risks involved if there's no 'check and balance' by CBCS for AWs.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I'm fine with AW's selling books. I will be an aw at Baltimore and intend to get a few of my own books signed while I am there but my plan is to get another AW to witness the signatures. Hopefully, AW's aren't thinking short term and witnessing their own books. If that happens, I think the whole ASP program will lose credibility and by extension, the books will lose value. I'd rather play by the rules and build long term value for the books since I own some of them.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
It is an interesting debate. With that in mind, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the largest sports memorabilia companies witnessing autographs on the items they sell. Yes, there has been some issues but Steiner and Upper Deck are the gold standard when it comes to those types of collectables.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector CCD private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
It is an interesting debate. With that in mind, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the largest sports memorabilia companies witnessing autographs on the items they sell. Yes, there has been some issues but Steiner and Upper Deck are the gold standard when it comes to those types of collectables.

I don't think that's the same since CBCS doesn't sell slabbed comics.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

I don't think that's the same since CBCS doesn't sell slabbed comics.

I understand that. However, both companies do take the word of the witness that a book was signed in front of them. It is all a matter of trust. Either you trust the people witnessing it, and attesting that it occurred, or you don't.

Just out of curiosity, do you know who witnesses the sketches/sketches that would be done at a private signing/sketch opportunity? Does that company have to hire another "witness" to come over that day and witness all of the sketches and signatures or can they do it themselves? Some of those end up being sold by those same people that set them up and they are slabbed.
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You don't like Newton rings and rainbows?
Post 54 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics only in Earth's atmosphere . Most of my distaste with CGC has to do with how they conducted themselves rather than the actual slab issues.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601333 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?