Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Witnessing Your Own Books?730

Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
Apologies if this has already been asked; didn't see the thread.

I've got a chance to meet WWE Hall of Famer Sting in September in Philadelphia. In my collection is a copy of "The Walking Dead" #109 with a custom cover featuring Sting holding Negan's weapon of choice, Lucille. It's been graded as a 9.8 by CGC with their Yellow Label.

Needless to say, I want to add Sting to the book & keep the Yellow Label. Would it be possible for me to get approved as a witness for the event, witness my own book, & send it down with the CGC label for regrading? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone's interested in seeing the art, here it is. Artwork is by Scott Blair. Stock image used for reference.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbehr948
It's been graded as a 9.8 by CGC with their Yellow Label.

Needless to say, I want to add Sting to the book & keep the Yellow Label. Would it be possible for me to get approved as a witness for the event, witness my own book, & send it down with the CGC label for regrading? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This is a CBCS forum. Why are you talking about wanting to send it to the other group? smh

Trolling at it's dumbest.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Quote:

This is a CBCS forum. Why are you talking about wanting to send it to the other group? smh

It's really not a tough question to understand.

You'd be better directed to ask Steve Paulus about it. Because you would be witnessing your own book, that's where an issue could arise.

Cool cover by the way. My dad took me to see Sting wrestle Ric Flair way back in the day when it was still the NWA.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Would it be possible for me to get approved as a witness for the event, witness my own book, & send it down with the CGC label for regrading?

I sure hope not.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Quote:

Read it again, he never said he was sending it to CGC. Why would he ask to become a CBCS witness if he was sending it to CGC?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector lightsmith private msg quote post Address this user
No way should this guy ever be a witness. You can authenticate your own anything ever it's just not right.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Would it be possible for me to get approved as a witness for the event, witness my own book, & send it down with the CGC label for regrading?

I sure hope not.
Is this how some of the CGC guys do it ? I don't know if they travel in packs or not to witness each other.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@JWKyle, check the "upcoming "events" tab. Most shows, CBCS has AW's onsite.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You can't be your own witness, that defeats the whole point of a witness. A witness by definition is an uninterested third party that CBCS has put trust into excepting their word.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Was that question for real? Come on now.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Stelbert_Stylton & @Studley_Dudley: Good to know some folks here can read, unlike @Gabriel85301. It wasn't trolling; it was a legitimate question. Thank you both for the info!

@DarthLego: Thank you for the info! You've been really helpful here.

@BrianGreensnips: Yeah...how dare I ask a question!
Post 11 IP   flag post
If CBCS is at the event, you shouldn't have a problem finding an AW. If CBCS is not attending the event, well you were already out of luck, they have to be there to receive it from the AW so there is an unbroken chain of custody.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@DarthLego: Thanks for clarifying. It's a wrestling convention, so I wouldn't expect any presence from comic grading companies. So basically, if I get it signed, it's coming back red. Noted!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
You could find an AW nearby who also likes wrestling & take them with you.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@The_Curmudgeon: Thanks! I'll look into that option as well.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If it makes you feel better, that book would look awesome in a red label, matches the artwork.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Ok.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, going to that, Those Midtown COAs aren't really valid are they, I mean they are but, RED Label Correct?
Post 18 IP   flag post
As far as I know COA books will get red labels, because CBCS has no way to verify that you did not swap in a different book. There's nothing wrong with a red label, it means the sig is legit. If a books fails certification it won't be slabbed.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector QuantumTunnelRat private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
As far as I know COA books will get red labels.

This is correct. A COA is not sufficient for the ASP (yellow) label. You must have a Witness Authorized by CBCS to get a yellow label, no exceptions.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego While I'm glad the red label is an option and have and will continue to use it, it technically doesn't mean that the signature is authentic. It means that someone that we put trust in (CSA) believes the signature is consistent with other, authentic examples. Despite our trust in them, they're not infallable. An extreme example would be if an artist's signs a book significantly different (like writing with their off-hand for whatevwr reason) and CSA has no record of a them using that signature then it will likely fail, despite having been signed by the person. This is an extreme example but I used it to highlight the limitation of the red label and why yellow, witnessed signatures are still preferred by most.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I hope I'm not excepted. That would be the suck.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector kingdone private msg quote post Address this user
i know more then one person who witnesses their own books to send to cbcs, one even post openly about it and sells the books with that option as part of an "elite group",so its gotta be kinda legit to do.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@kingdone are you saying an artist signs and sends them to CBCS or a collector?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This thread should be locked. just saying
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This thread should be locked. just saying

Why? I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not trying to start any trouble, just clarify what Kingdone was saying.
If an artist is sending in his own work saying he signed it, i'm ok with that but if a collector is sending in books, saying he witnessed his books getting signed, i'm not so ok.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Oh nah I wasn't referring to you @VAComicsGuy I hope it didn't seem that way. I'm just saying the original topics have been addressed and I forsee this turning slideways.
Post 27 IP   flag post
To the OP that is a gorgeous cover though, how unique and weird. It kinda fits in the same category as that weird zombie ninja turtle walking dead sketch cover though. I'm not a fan of random sketch covers. I say that ironically as I have a shredder sketch by a no-name artist cover for a IDW TMNT comic book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Oh nah I wasn't referring to you @VAComicsGuy I hope it didn't seem that way. I'm just saying the original topics have been addressed and I forsee this turning slideways.

No issues with you at all. I just try to make sure I'm not seen as trying to cause any drama or problems. Rumor has it that there are people who frequent forums and they like to argue, be difficult and cause problems.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
Oh yes! Definitely there are those that attempt to create mayhem and dissension. They disappear rather quickly when confronted with facts and truths.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601448 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?