Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

A letter from Jeromy Murray, VP of CBCS and Beckett7282

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
I can't tell if those are going up or down; either way, the photo is enough to cause vertigo!"

It's called the Stairway to Heaven. It's in Hawaii. It's off limits to everyone. People Constantly disappear trying to climb it.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Any and all of you who give them selves leave to disregard all my future posts, by all means, ignore what I write. I could care less nor will I lose zero sleep if my posts are "disregarded".

I used key phrase "...may have been..." goaded to which BabaLament replied he had not been influenced by others. I take him at his word. Ergo, I apologized.

"Candor" could should be my middle name. I speak my mind openly, I seek same from others. The quest for Truth continues.

I think - and still do - it be a bit unfairly drastic to file a form with the Texas Attorney General, but then post same on this CBCS chat room which I still fail to see why same was publicly posted. What purpose did that serve?

CBCS will come thru the other side of this transition and blaze new trails continuing bringing ethics back in to the certification gig which had prior to these guys & gals opening up had all but disappeared.

Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely so the saying goes. From 1999-2015 CGC had become a monopolistic-seeking swamp which many many souls told me they had become afraid of. I am not, nor will I ever be.

Mark Zaid contacted me a few times earlier on when CGC damage popped the bottom staple off an All Star #8 as well as got two inch wide packaging tape on the front cover of an All Star #7 that the owner of CGC was threatening to sue me. Huh?

My reply was, "Bring It On! I want to talk to a Judge and Jury..."

After 52+ years since I placed my first ad in RBCC #47 Oct 1966 age 14 have seen most all the players enter the set tooting their horns.

And many of those heavily vested in CGC 'stock' are attacking others who are not which is what happens over inside the CGC cesspool on a daily basis.

Back in August 1972 when the late much missed John Barrett, myself Robert Beerbohm and Bud Plant began our chain store operation Comics and Comix when Bud was still going after his business degree at San Jose State, for one of his classes we made up a 40+ query questionnaire handing out a couple thousand of them in effort to learn the psychological make-up nature of our customer base. We extrapolated all the data over a month or so.

What we discovered is the comic book collector reader as a group by nature are some of the most defensive lost souls out there. The very nature of collecting comic books already made one defensive dealing with those who do not collect.

The comic book reader lives inside various fantasy worlds.
Here is a reality on the path of life.

WHAT IN THE BLUE BLAZES ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Keep these posts coming, the topic is becoming dizzying and taking on a stream of consciousness motif.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 That's it?! When I was stationed in Hawaii, one of the things covered at indoc. when we got to the island was, "thou shalt not sneak onto the Stairway to Heaven." A couple of guys tried it, but I wasn't willing to risk reduction in rate & half pay for six months.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_adam_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Any and all of you who give them selves leave to disregard all my future posts, by all means, ignore what I write. I could care less nor will I lose zero sleep if my posts are "disregarded".

I used key phrase "...may have been..." goaded to which BabaLament replied he had not been influenced by others. I take him at his word. Ergo, I apologized.

"Candor" could should be my middle name. I speak my mind openly, I seek same from others. The quest for Truth continues.

I think - and still do - it be a bit unfairly drastic to file a form with the Texas Attorney General, but then post same on this CBCS chat room which I still fail to see why same was publicly posted. What purpose did that serve?

CBCS will come thru the other side of this transition and blaze new trails continuing bringing ethics back in to the certification gig which had prior to these guys & gals opening up had all but disappeared.

Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely so the saying goes. From 1999-2015 CGC had become a monopolistic-seeking swamp which many many souls told me they had become afraid of. I am not, nor will I ever be.

Mark Zaid contacted me a few times earlier on when CGC damage popped the bottom staple off an All Star #8 as well as got two inch wide packaging tape on the front cover of an All Star #7 that the owner of CGC was threatening to sue me. Huh?

My reply was, "Bring It On! I want to talk to a Judge and Jury..."

After 52+ years since I placed my first ad in RBCC #47 Oct 1966 age 14 have seen most all the players enter the set tooting their horns.

And many of those heavily vested in CGC 'stock' are attacking others who are not which is what happens over inside the CGC cesspool on a daily basis.

Back in August 1972 when the late much missed John Barrett, myself Robert Beerbohm and Bud Plant began our chain store operation Comics and Comix when Bud was still going after his business degree at San Jose State, for one of his classes we made up a 40+ query questionnaire handing out a couple thousand of them in effort to learn the psychological make-up nature of our customer base. We extrapolated all the data over a month or so.

What we discovered is the comic book collector reader as a group by nature are some of the most defensive lost souls out there. The very nature of collecting comic books already made one defensive dealing with those who do not collect.

The comic book reader lives inside various fantasy worlds.
Here is a reality on the path of life.

I think that BLBcomics assumes that his writing style is "sophisticated", "scholarly" and "intellectual".

He doesn't realize that he actually sounds rambling, incoherent, and stream-of-consciousness. Kind of like if James Joyce had taken a hit of acid.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

"...I think that BLBcomics assumes that his writing style is "sophisticated", "scholarly" and "intellectual"....He doesn't realize that he actually sounds rambling, incoherent, and stream-of-consciousness. Kind of like if James Joyce had taken a hit of acid..."

Nope, nope and nope. This is STILL just a mostly obscure message board which lacks sophistication, most assuredly is not scholarly, nor intellectual. ergo, I feel little need to get much beyond a stream of consciousness such as I read most others with their postings.

It is rather boring to me to read about newton ring debates, who has a better label CBCS vs CGC, how to press books to obtain a 9.8, so I feel little to no need to have serious rational discussions regarding actual comics history which few here have yet to demonstrate being able to absorb.

For that lapse, I humbly apologize.

That said, the newer breed of collector seems to severely lack any sort of institutional memory of how this comics business has evolved over the decades. If one had even a modicum of such, then some of what seemingly does not make sense to any given "lost" soul, in fact, would.

I am, in fact, "rambling," as it were. Busted. Addressing in a single post numerous points raised by others. As well as adding in more thoughts on any given subject. I also do not as of yet do Twitter and other short sound byte modes of communication. Busted. If my posts are not to your liking, then, please, don't waste your time reading them.

Having had moved a comics business across country before, am more than fully aware of how much energy it takes to reconstitute same in to a cohesive force once again. There are some here, just some, who made unreasonable postings as if nothing - and I mean nothing - would satisfy them no matter what or who makes postings from CBCS addressing very valid concerns.

Do some of you really think CBCS people to be stupid? Or uncaring about submissions given to them in good faith?

So, that all said, just what is it one does not understand re what I have been talking about? Inquiring minds (well, me, fer instance) want to know?

Post 56 IP   flag post

How many here were alive and watched Phil Seuling live TV on the Merv Griffin show back in the very early 1970s? That asked, how many actually know who Phil Seuling was? I mean as in having met the guy? I first met him at my 2nd comicon back in 1968 which was in Dallas where CBCS is now HQ'd out of.

By 1970 coming out of high school a friend and I drove to new York City the first time to set up at his Comic Art Convention July 4th week end.

A month later drove out to San Diego setting up at the Golden State Comics Convention, the very first San Diego Comicon (named that later).

Or ever heard of Leonard Brown? He was the "first" high grade dealer. He began placing ads buying comic books in 1959 in the LA Times. I first saw this newspaper article in early 1966 age 13 - fired my imagination......
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@Gabriel85301 That's it?! When I was stationed in Hawaii, one of the things covered at indoc. when we got to the island was, "thou shalt not sneak onto the Stairway to Heaven." A couple of guys tried it, but I wasn't willing to risk reduction in rate & half pay for six months.

That is it alright.

http://canyouactually.com/the-notoriously-illegal-4000-step-stairway-to-heaven-in-hawaii-is-pure-insanity/

https://www.davislevin.com/premises-liability/stairway-to-heaven/
Post 58 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Also posted in Turnaround Thread for visibility

@SteveRicketts Just throwing this out there:

I keep hearing more and more frustration with regards to the delays, among other issues such as trying to contact CBCS, etc. I'm curious if a temporary stop on new submissions was even considered in the first place (due to the move) or if it is something to consider now?

I'm of the opinion that a temporary stop or even a reduction (if possible) would help burn down the backlog and get things manageable. If you keep receiving new submissions you are either going to clog the pipeline further, unless there has been a steep drop off in submissions already. The other potential pitfall is you hurry in an attempt to catch up, and all the new people hired will be prone to more mistakes, which would either slow down the process further assuming the defects are caught in Quality Control, or the defects get past QC, and customers received sub-par gradings,encapsulations, etc, which can cause further damage to your reputation.

Logic would dictate that newly trained staff are generally slower than experienced personnel, at least initially. Compounded with CBCS already having significant delays, (much more than the generally accepted "regular" delays) I don't see a fix to the current problems, at least not on timeline that would seem to be acceptable to most.

Perhaps I'm out of line, if so, my apologies. However I am curious as to what will be done or already is happening to remedy the current state of affairs. Outside of the blanket statements already heard in one form or another; "We are aware. We are doing our best. We have hired new staff."

Anyone else share my sentiments or am I alone on this?
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
@stanley_1883 They made it clear they don't care about our exasperation over the TATs.

My experience: I emailed out of frustration a few times and finally received a reply saying that my books were done being graded as of August 9th. They couldn't even ship them back to me in the month since that time. They are overwhelmed and it doesn't look like they have any idea how to right the ship.

Could you imagine being a server at a restaurant and being in the weeds and then your manager saying they needed you to train someone on top of it all? I imagine that is the exact scenario going on at HQ. They have to slow down even further so the few experienced grading personnel can train the new hires, all the while the machine is just taking in thousands of new submissions every day. And amid all the chaos we get this one Manchurian Candidate sounding letter "taking responsibility for the problem", but showing no good faith notion of how they plan to fix it.

There is no hope left at this point. It's a joke.

CBCS is the abusive husband and we are the wife and he's screaming at us "Where you gonna go?!"
Post 60 IP   flag post
Manchurian Candidate? Sounds a bit overly dramatically shrill, just saying. Steve B called me last week. We talked for a few minutes. They are training new staff since most of the support personnel did not make the Florida to Texas transition. Working at it every day, I think CBCS will catch up sooner than later, then outshine the Florida cesspool which lacks ethics.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Since I shit on this thread every chance I get allow me to say that I just read the following in a Facebook group:

"Mark Roman messaged me and said they hired 5 guys to help an a couple are veterans of the old location, this is great news! Mark has been nothing but awesome in helping get things turned around and I applaud him for that! Thanks Mark Roman!! This is headed in the right direction."

So that is a dose of much needed positivity here in the Swamp of Sadness.
Post 62 IP   flag post
@BLBcomics i agree that they are trying, and I still think they are better than those other guys. Also 5 new hires that have experience is also great news. It still revolves around simple math however, and we dont know the numbers so it's difficult to speak with any certainty.

They hired 5 new people, great! But how many did they initially lose? Net loss? Net gain? or even?

if they are still at a net loss with regards to workforce, then it doesnt change a whole lot.

Net gain or even isnt much better. Let's assume they are even, to burn down the excess they need to work faster or longer. Faster could expose them to more errors. Longer means overtime, and at the end of the day they are still a corporation, meaning overtime when and if granted will not be indefinite.

so from the outside looking in, news submissions are still piling up, and it looks like the road to catch up will be a long one. I hope I'm wrong, maybe the numbers are much better than my assumption. I guess I was only advocating for more information. Perhaps they simply can't provide it, I don't know. However speaking from experience, I've notice that people can accept crappy situations much better when they are well informed, and I believe that a lot of the frustrations that have been voiced are due to us, the customers not knowing why its so bad. Yes we've gotten the broad strokes, the move was more complicated and not all employees left, but that can only "buy" so much patience.

Perhaps I'm being very presumptuous working off the thought that we should be given additional information and explanation. I don't know.

Honestly, I'm not mad, nor am I frustrated. I knew there was a significant delay prior to submitting. More than anything I'm just bored and giving this more thought than I should.

My apologies for the length of this post.

I have no doubt they will catch up, I have no doubt they will recover. In fact I'm cheering for them and am fully aware I wont be receiving my submissions anytime soon, nor will will I complain about that.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
I've got books ready to submit, but am waiting until the backlog gets better. I think that if others would do the same they would get caught up quicker.
Post 64 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
waiting is waiting.....whether the books are waiting in your home or at CBCS...its all waiting.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
My thoughts on submitting or waiting.
GAC is right. Waiting is waiting
If we wait and they catch up they stop hiring because the submissions are down then everybody dumps on them we end up back where we are now. So I think we should keep submitting. I send a few every month I separate the VSP’s and send them on one order. Then the moderns on a separate order And Golden and silver on there own order also keeping the pressing and non pressing separate. The ones for pressing go straight to Florida and the non pressed ones go to Texas I do combine orders in one box for shipping. So if all get pressed and there are three separate orders I put each separate order in a book mailer then tape the invoice to the mailer. Take all three and put them in one box and ship.
I think if we keep it simple for them things will move more efficiently.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883

I keep hearing more and more frustration with regards to the delays, among other issues such as trying to contact CBCS, etc. I'm curious if a temporary stop on new submissions was even considered in the first place (due to the move) or if it is something to consider now?

I'm of the opinion that a temporary stop or even a reduction (if possible) would help burn down the backlog and get things manageable. If you keep receiving new submissions you are either going to clog the pipeline further, unless there has been a steep drop off in submissions already. The other potential pitfall is you hurry in an attempt to catch up, and all the new people hired will be prone to more mistakes, which would either slow down the process further assuming the defects are caught in Quality Control, or the defects get past QC, and customers received sub-par gradings,encapsulations, etc, which can cause further damage to your reputation.

Logic would dictate that newly trained staff are generally slower than experienced personnel, at least initially. Compounded with CBCS already having significant delays, (much more than the generally accepted "regular" delays) I don't see a fix to the current problems, at least not on timeline that would seem to be acceptable to most.

Perhaps I'm out of line, if so, my apologies. However I am curious as to what will be done or already is happening to remedy the current state of affairs. Outside of the blanket statements already heard in one form or another; "We are aware. We are doing our best. We have hired new staff."

While I'm sure you will get some agreements on your suggestion, I am not one of them. And no chance CBCS will stop accepting submissions. Nor should they. They are running a business, they just need to figure out how to run it more efficiently.
Post 67 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:

While I'm sure you will get some agreements on your suggestion, I am not one of them. And no chance CBCS will stop accepting submissions. Nor should they. They are running a business, they just need to figure out how to run it more efficiently.

Exactly! while I understand why someone might suggest this, it makes no sense to ask a company to stop pursuing the business it exists to pursue.

On top of this, if I was a shareholder and someone at the top suggested to "stop taking submissions" I'd ask for their resignation. That's like asking GM or Ford to stop making vehicles....zero chance.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! while I understand why someone might suggest this, it makes no sense to ask a company to stop pursuing the business it exists to pursue.

On top of this, if I was a shareholder and someone at the top suggested to "stop taking submissions" I'd ask for their resignation. That's like asking GM or Ford to stop making vehicles....zero chance.

To play devils advocate, that’s exactly what Ford did, precisely that. They stopped making cars. Not all cars, but plant closures and massive layoffs was precisely them cutting down on production because they couldn’t afford it. How would this be any different?

Unless plant closures/layoffs somehow didn’t slow down the production process? However I’m having a difficult time comprehending how that would be possible.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

To play devils advocate, that’s exactly what Ford did, precisely that. They stopped making cars. Not all cars, but plant closures and massive layoffs was precisely them cutting down on production because they couldn’t afford it. How would this be any different?

Unless plant closures/layoffs somehow didn’t slow down the production process? However I’m having a difficult time comprehending how that would be possible.

Meaning no disrespect, but this is a poor example....

Ford (controversially) has stopped making most standard cars because they were not getting enough orders to make it worth their while economically. NEITHER is CBCS behind on the least expensive tiers because there is no demand. Rather demand outstrips supply.

A much better automotive comparison would be Tesla motors and their Model 3. There is a long waiting list. Lots of demand. Tesla cannot keep up. They CONTINUE to take orders on the Model 3 and focus their efforts on making and delivering them more quickly. Customers that don't want to wait so long can buy a more expensive Tesla like the Model S or they can purchase a more expensive, upgraded Model 3. The comic book equivalent of using a more expensive tier (Quickstream, Rapid) or paying for Fast Pass on the cheaper "models".

And of course there is the controversial aspect of Ford's decision. The consensus opinion in the automobile manufacturing trade is that Ford has put short term profits ahead of the long term good of the company. They have largely abandoned an entire product line to their competitors. A product line that when gas becomes more expensive will be much more in demand and profitable. Ford screwed up is the majority opinion.

CBCS should NOT quit taking submissions. Turn Around Time is ONE criteria of many in choosing a grading company.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Meaning no disrespect, but this is a poor example....

Ford (controversially) has stopped making most standard cars because they were not getting enough orders to make it worth their while economically. NEITHER is CBCS behind on the least expensive tiers because there is no demand. Rather demand outstrips supply.

A much better automotive comparison would be Tesla motors and their Model 3. There is a long waiting list. Lots of demand. Tesla cannot keep up. They CONTINUE to take orders on the Model 3 and focus their efforts on making and delivering them more quickly. Customers that don't want to wait so long can buy a more expensive Tesla like the Model S or they can purchase a more expensive, upgraded Model 3. The comic book equivalent of using a more expensive tier (Quickstream, Rapid) or paying for Fast Pass on the cheaper "models".

And of course there is the controversial aspect of Ford's decision. The consensus opinion in the automobile manufacturing trade is that Ford has put short term profits ahead of the long term good of the company. They have largely abandoned an entire product line to their competitors. A product line that when gas becomes more expensive will be much more in demand and profitable. Ford screwed up is the majority opinion.

CBCS should NOT quit taking submissions. Turn Around Time is ONE criteria of many in choosing a grading company.

None taken. I wan't going for 100% accuracy, simply stating that a car company did do what the gentleman said they never would.

As for stopping submissions all together, I agree they should not. However personally I still think a "slow down" of sorts is (or perhaps was) worth looking into.

My thought process is this, if you have to patch a pipe that has a hole in it, you need to decrease the pressure running through said pipe. At least I think thats how it works? No clue, I'm not a contractor, nor a plumber. Regardless, that seems (or seemed) logical to me.

I think I'm like the only person who thinks that this would be a simple fix to the issue, I swear I feel like Thanos right now. Everyone thinks my plan is crazy.

Screw it, I'm all in. CBCS should return half of their submissions, ungraded. And like that, the issue would be resolved.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
If we wait and they catch up they stop hiring because the submissions are down then everybody dumps on them we end up back where we are now. So I think we should keep submitting. I send a few every month I separate the VSP’s and send them on one order. Then the moderns on a separate order And Golden and silver on there own order also keeping the pressing and non pressing separate. The ones for pressing go straight to Florida and the non pressed ones go to Texas I do combine orders in one box for shipping. So if all get pressed and there are three separate orders I put each separate order in a book mailer then tape the invoice to the mailer. Take all three and put them in one box and ship.

waiting is not waiting you paid for a 12 weeks TAT and they take your money, i can understand if it went 1 or 2 weeks over that deadline, but the fact is you paid,
4 or 5 months later still god damn nothing, that is unacceptable and want was was advertise 12 week TAT, so your tell me that you like to get rip off. and just keep giving money away, won't be long for someone to sue i can see it coming. on flas advertising 12 weeks, what crock .
Post 72 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
waiting is not waiting you paid for a 12 weeks TAT and they take your money, i can understand if it went 1 or 2 weeks over that deadline, but the fact is you paid,
4 or 5 months later still god damn nothing, that is unacceptable and want was was advertise 12 week TAT, so your tell me that you like to get rip off. and just keep giving money away, won't be long for someone to sue i can see it coming. on flas advertising 12 weeks, what crock .

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need to have a better grasp of spelling and grammar in order to sue...
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift

I so enjoy these posts, as Kong Qui once said "It takes many kinds of flowers to create a beautiful garden."
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Been on the website since Day 1....no grading company "guarantees" a specific turnaround time; they would be crazy to. Not trying to defend the long TAT's or the lack of service but people need to stop having this attitude of "you paid for 12 week TAT and if you didn't get it you can sue"
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:

Been on the website since Day 1....no grading company "guarantees" a specific turnaround time; they would be crazy to. Not trying to defend the long TAT's or the lack of service but people need to stop having this attitude of "you paid for 12 week TAT and if you didn't get it you can sue"

Great post!!!
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:

I thought it was like common knowledge that there is an acceptable delay. Like thats the unwritten rule, or unwritten understanding rather.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, its the absolute lack of communication that is damning. TAT delays happen, I get that. However, a little communication would go a long way; where, exactly, are my books in the process? I wish I had an idea, but unfortunately, the dashboard & the invoice both have different status, and they are updated so infrequently that its barely worth the time to check.

The order I'm waiting on is relatively small, 10 books for around $500.

The order I have in the cart ready for submission is 137 books at around $3,300; with another 70 books I haven't entered since I can't decide if I want to wait nine months to see them again, or send them elsewhere and get them back before Christmas. Figure around $4,500-5,000 when its all entered. That may not be a large order by CBCS standards, but that's a whole lot for me.

Without some improvements in Customer Service, in a timely manner, it's the beginning of about $10k/yr in grading that will be switching over to the other guys. Again, CBCS probably won't notice a missing $10k. However, I'm willing to guess they'll notice if ten, or a hundred guys like me decide that the only thing we're willing to wait nine months for is a baby, and take our money elsewhere.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector fat1138 private msg quote post Address this user
still waiting on books from March 15 2018....
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector nrad private msg quote post Address this user
@TheComicDoJo I have my CGC books back already even though they were submitted over 2 MONTHS later than my CBCS submission (which is still listed as "Submitted/Received"...absolutely pathetic.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601460 116 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.