Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
An amazing comic book artist passed away. Thankfully, I had written him a letter this last winter letting him know that I appreciated his art. I never got a response back, but I didn't expect one. I hope he read it. The man was a legend to me!!

Hollywood reporter article.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Nice of you to do so. I found out until today when someone posted some of his art in memory of him. Did you read Jimmy's Bastards from Garth Ennis and him?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I did read Jimmy's Bastards #1, but that was Russ Braun. I don't believe that Russ Heath had anything to do with it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Russ Heath is one of the most underrated artists in the history of our medium. Very sad to hear of his passing. I remember in my youth he drew G. I. Joe 24 and I thought “why didn’t he do more work on this book?” That comic led me to become interested in the DC war books and expanded my horizons considerably. Many of the people on this forum may not be aware of his work. My advice: check it out. You will not be disappointed! R.I.P. Russ.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I did read Jimmy's Bastards #1, but that was Russ Braun. I don't believe that Russ Heath had anything to do with it.

You're right Jesse, my bad, sorry.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Very sad. One of my favorite artists. Nobody drew war comics better than he did.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
A gentleman and an inspiration.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Russ Heath on Lichtenstein, Hero Initiative and wine.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
R.I.P. Russ Heath

Post 9 IP   flag post
Anyone remember these ads??? Russ Heath drew them. Somewhere I have a comic where he signed one of these. I may have to dig it out tonight. He's one of those people that I will miss, even though I never met him in real life.

Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
RIP Mr. Heath
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I had the opportunity to meet Russ several times over the years at the San Diego Comic Con War Dinner. He was always entertaining. It's sad to see him go.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Anyone remember these ads??? Russ Heath drew them. Somewhere I have a comic where he signed one of these. I may have to dig it out tonight. He's one of those people that I will miss, even though I never met him in real life.

I did not realize that Russ Heath had such a lengthy and illustrious career and impact on the hobby.

I fondly remember those Toy Solider ads in many books. Obviously he was a very under rated and influential figure in the hobby for more years than I had realized.

I do remember my first run in with his work was a few Punisher Issues back in 1989.

RIP Russ Heath
Post 14 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Yeah, his comic artwork spans over 70+ years!! His first comics came out in October, 1948 - Kid Colt Outlaw #2 and Two-Gun kid #4. And I'm thinking that his last new art was the cover of Glamourpuss #13, May, 2010. Of course, he was not active that whole time, but I think it speaks a lot of a man and his talent when someone wants him to do a cover when he is in his 80's!!!!

Here is a link to a list of all the comics he is credited in: comic book db

Post 15 IP   flag post
That is quite an accomplished list!

Im ashamed that he flew under my radar for such a long time.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, he is definitely one of the most under appreciated artists of all time! I consider him one of the defining artists for war comics, but he was much more than that. It’s sad how many great ones have passed away in just the last few years.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I believe this is my earliest Russ Heath cover (1955).

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I believe this is my earliest Russ Heath cover (1955).

Ed, I got an eerie feeling seeing this book posted in this thread, as we spoke of it awhile back. So it was kind of fitting after all the talk about how under rated and unappreciated Russ Heath's work was, that I even overlooked it here on this book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
We are sadly part of an era watching our great and beloved pioneers leave us...so many in the past 25 years or so....Kirby, Ditko, Heath, Williamson, Nodell, Gil Kane, .....and when you look at the ages of people like Stan Lee, his brother Larry Lieber, Steranko, Adams, etc its a definitely a changing of the guard
Post 20 IP   flag post
600870 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?