Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Can anyone tell me what this is?7224

Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Looking over some of my books last night and saw this on the back of one. Looks like the inner holder is sticking to the book. None of my other slabs have this.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Deesnutz private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully those are cbcs newton rings. Never seen them before
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of looks like moisture inside?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
I have this on one. I believe it like newton rings. Mine is on a comic that is really thick. Almost like a graphic novel.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
I have this on one. I believe it like newton rings. Mine is on a comic that is really thick. Almost like a graphic novel.

So stupid question...what's a Newton ring, and is it bad?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Probably another stupid question - does it look like that when you take the slab out of the outer bag?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helric1
Probably another stupid question - does it look like that when you take the slab out of the outer bag?

Yes.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
It is a similar effect of a Newton ring (as seen on most CGC cases) however it is not exactly the same thing. Because of the type of plastics that CGC uses to encase books, the light that gets refracted between the outer plastic and inner plastic of a CGC case causes an oily, rainbow type effect called a Newton ring...super common in most CGC cases.

With the occasional CBCS slab, you will have the inner and outer plastic touch which will produce similar "moisture" looking effects without the rainbow. This is not actual moisture its just the visual effect that happens when the flexible inner plastic well touches the hard outer plastic shell. This is totally normal and is in no way bad for your comic book

Here is an example of CGC Newton rings:

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This is what happens when a CGC inner well touches the case.

What you have is essentially the same effect (two plastics touching). The plastic used by CBCS is much more forgiving, AND there is an easy fix (unfortunately not so with cgc sealing their cases).

Pry apart the side of your case, just enough to slip a sheet of paper in and out of there to get air in between the two plastics.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

What you have is essentially the same effect (two plastics touching). The plastic used by CBCS is much more forgiving, AND there is an easy fix (unfortunately not so with cgc sealing their cases).

Pry apart the side of your case, just enough to slip a sheet of paper in and out of there to get air in between the two plastics.

That's great, thank you!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Yay! Newton rings!

Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Broker1 If it is the inner well touching the outer shell, you can remove them by gently prying the front and back of the shell around the affected area to break the vacuum and getting rid of the effect.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Newton Rings, ...CGC's Exxon Valdez
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Shrewbeer, thanks for the tip, I was scared to death as it's a 9.8 bronze age Nova #1. Your tip worked about 90%, but the ones on the bottom still come back. Any other ideas?
Post 14 IP   flag post
598060 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?