Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I was reading through the label concept thread and someone brought up the idea of laser etching as a way to improve CBCS' label presentation.

That got me thinking about using engraving not as a CBCS option but as a way to personalize slabs for any number of reasons.

Something as simple as an "Ex. Libris" label, to a personal logo, or a message when giving the book as a gift.

Obviously there are things to consider such as placement and method.

I'm thinking on the back label area since it's typically empty and as far from the book itself as you can get. Traditional engraving seems like the way to go since I'd be afraid of trying to laser engrave it where who knows where the laser may refract or reflect.

I just think it's a neat idea. I think I may purchase a cheapo modern slab and give it a shot just to see it done.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I would be afraid of the laser causing damage to the book. Etching before encapsulation might be a safer option.

Still a really good idea!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Sanemoreorless private msg quote post Address this user
I think I'm gonna be trying this out too. A very interesting idea.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@rickdod3 I made a similar observation but I may give it a shot as well just to see for myself and know with more certainty if there is something to worry about.

@Sanemoreorless I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. I'm still looking at local options for engraving. There's always local trophy shops and personalized gift stores and the like.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I stared at that gif way too long waiting for something to happen lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
I just pulled up a chair since this was my idea in the label thread.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The only problem I see is once you personalize a slab you have diminished resale value.

My original idea was for CBCS to use laser engraving to eliminate the paper label altogether and have no distractions from the comic.

I was actually being tongue in cheek when I said this as a riff to everyone who kept complaining that a new flashy label would be distracting from the comic. My thought is if you are that distracted by a simple label don't get it slabbed to begin with.

But I'm interested to see what becomes these experiments.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The only problem I see is once you personalize a slab you have diminished resale value.

My original idea was for CBCS to use laser engraving to eliminate the paper label altogether and have no distractions from the comic.

I was actually being tongue in cheek when I said this as a riff to everyone who kept complaining that a new flashy label would be distracting from the comic. My thought is if you are that distracted by a simple label don't get it slabbed to begin with.

But I'm interested to see what becomes these experiments.

I definitely understand the whole resale thing but if it's that big an issue you can always send it in for a re-holder and be fine.

I meant this to be something you'd do for things you intend to keep, same as book collectors adding book plates or personalized stamps to mark a book as theirs. Technically the process decreases the book's value but you do it to make the book your own in a way. But then again, they're probably just doing that to their own personal books, not hunting down a guttenberg bible and scribbling their name it. Still, I'm hoping the engraving doesn't affect the book in any way, just the slab, so you can have the best of both worlds for yourself.

It might be a bit before I can try it out but I'll post my results here when I do!
Post 9 IP   flag post
It would have a good use for marking a slab as yours so it could be identified after theft. I always wondered how they identified Nicholas Cage's Action #1, was it slabbed with a known serial number?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It would have a good use for marking a slab as yours so it could be identified after theft. I always wondered how they identified Nicholas Cage's Action #1, was it slabbed with a known serial number?

I'm sure the serial number was recorded the moment he insured it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm surprised the thief wasn't smart enough to crack it out of the slab.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm surprised the thief wasn't smart enough to crack it out of the slab.

The book was raw when discovered in the storage locker. I don't think it was slabbed to begin with
Post 13 IP   flag post
That's what I thought. I bet detailed photos were taken when he insured it. That would have been a fun day for the crime lab examining a comic book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It was a raw book but it was recognized because there was a tiny white dot that was a printers error which would have been unique to that copy....that in combination with the high grade which is extremely rare in itself was how they were able to identify that it was Cage's original copy.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:

It was a raw book but it was recognized because there was a tiny white dot that was a printers error which would have been unique to that copy....that in combination with the high grade which is extremely rare in itself was how they were able to identify that it was Cage's original copy.

Thanks I thought it was already a 9.0 when Metro bought it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Was the thief ever identified?
Post 17 IP   flag post
So I think I found a candidate. There's a Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 9.0 on ebay for $30. I'm holding off on buying just yet since I'll be at SDCC and I might find something there.

Right now I'm thinking of keeping it simple and engraving something like "EX LIBRIS" with my name.

It might also be neat, if the plastic can hold a good laser engraving and find somewhere that can do it at an affordable price, to create a design that fits in the label area remeniscent of ex libris bookplates of yore

Post 18 IP   flag post
So I got the book that will be our test subject

I'm thinking I'll have multiple images for different characters and/or series with "From the Collection of" and a personal logo to unify all the books.

For this book I'm considering designs based on these images:

This one might feel a bit too generic

This is my favorite idea but it's a very vertical composition and the label area is very horizontal so we'll see if it can be adapted well

If anyone has any other suggestions for a Crisis on Infinite Earths design, I'd love to hear it
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Personalizing anything drastically reduces resale value. I, also, pulleth thy chair upwards forwarth to besides Sir @DarthLego.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I'm well aware of that, as I addressed earlier in the thread. If I absolutely have to sell a book I've engraved I'll either take the hit on the sell price or spend the few bucks to get it re-holdered.

Ideally these are books that aren't going anywhere.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke don't be stealing my popcorn Mykey.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Good lord (where is the face palm emoji???)
Post 23 IP   flag post
So I'm thinking one of these two designs where black is the deepest etching and white is untouched.

I like the simple silhouettes but I also think it's nice to have the space background for them to contrast against.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
So I'm thinking one of these two designs where black is the deepest etching and white is untouched.

I like the simple silhouettes but I also think it's nice to have the space background for them to contrast against.

Are you doing the engraving yourself? Or having it done by someone?

Reason I ask is because the bottom one will be much more difficult to created the G-Code for engraving. HOWEVER, it would look much more awesome! haha
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3

Good lord, no! lol. I'm gonna go with computer-controlled laser engraving. There's a few around town that seem like they'd do it, I just gotta shop around to find the best price
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3

Good lord, no! lol. I'm gonna go with computer-controlled laser engraving. There's a few around town that seem like they'd do it, I just gotta shop around to find the best price

Haha I figured as much! wasn't sure if you were familiar with the process or not. Laser engraving I have no clue about...but CNC engraving I do at work quite a bit. The top design would be super easy...the bottom one engraving with a tool would be almost impossible. Might be super easy for a laser tho. I'm excited to see it done :-)
Post 27 IP   flag post
@rickdod3 I'm not intimately familiar with the process. I know I've seen some great examples of photographs being engraved into metal, acrylic, or even wood so I'm hoping the second design I posted isn't too far out of the ordinary.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@rickdod3 I'm not intimately familiar with the process. I know I've seen some great examples of photographs being engraved into metal, acrylic, or even wood so I'm hoping the second design I posted isn't too far out of the ordinary.

me too! I haven't really seen it anywhere else except my grandparents had made all us kids engraved family pictures out of wood. they're really cool. my grandpa has his wood shop in his back yard and put together all the wood plates and then my grandma has a smaller scale laser engraver in her small "workshop" and scanned the pictures to the computer then transposed them to the wood plates. whenever you had brought this up, it really made me think about sending her some of my slabs, but wanted to see how it would turn out first.
Post 29 IP   flag post
600782 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?