Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

New CGC vs CBCS Comparison on Youtube - What are CGC turnaround times?7205

Collector TheComicDoJo private msg quote post Address this user
My friend just posted this video on Youtube, let me know what you all think. I've got a few concerns with it myself but wanted your opinion! He's a great dude, let me know if you have feedback (positive please... positive in the sense, don't be rude

Also, does anyone know what the current CGC turnaround time is? He says it's 2 weeks? That can't be right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0XTevCeddc
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is pretty fast these days. The Newton Rings can be really horrible though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS has same problem to.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks for the quick feedback, sorry for the newb question.. what are "Newton Rings"
Post 4 IP   flag post
By the way, looks like the CGC site says modern TA is 30 days.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector atrembley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicDoJo
Thanks for the quick feedback, sorry for the newb question.. what are "Newton Rings"

They’re an odd discoloration that look like an oil slick. It’s the pressure of the outer cover against the inner case.
Post 6 IP   flag post
These are Newton rings or prism rings. This was from my last submission:

Post 7 IP   flag post
ah yes!!! ok, I know about that. Didn't know the name. Thanks! Yeah... two of my favorite modern books are graded by CGC and both have this issue
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@dpiercy that would bother me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand going all the expense of having your book slabbed to have presentation defects like Newton rings. Hard enough to admire your book without being able to open it, let alone have oil slicks all over the covers

Sure.. If you are flipping on ebay yeah, can understand .. But if keeping book for personal collection it makes no sense.

Baffles me how that can be considered an acceptable side effect of slabbing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Newton rings do not bother me like it does some of you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I puchace a comic (cgc)from a small store and they we're nice to replace it.I am sure they had an issue about it to.CGC needs to fix the problem to make customers happy.CBCS has had problems to with this and tried to fix the issue also.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Newton rings can resemble a scrunched up anus.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
@dpiercy that would bother me.

I was very disappointed it came back like that. I sold it a few months ago.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
kinda feel the same way🤷‍♂️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@TheComicDoJo I just watched the video. Overall, I liked it and I felt he was trying his best to be impartial. He lost points with me when he referred to CGC's Qualified label as Certified. Yes, he added a correction on the video, but it came across as if he isn't that familiar with slabs. The two weeks TAT at CGC is inaccurate for economy, modern or value tiers. unless they are fast passed. There is a thread on the CGC Forum that relates to that here. That tells me he really didn't research that aspect throughly and probably took people's word about them.

The same can be said for his comment about CGC selling for 10 to 20 percent more. The general idea is accurate and I'm sure there are instances that might prove them. However, the margin is narrower on high end comics, especially those not sold on eBay, which the high end buyers avoid like the plague (or so I've been told). I'm not debating the fact, just the percentages he used and the way he presented it. He said you could potentially lose thousands and I don't agree. When you get to that level, the margains are much narrower. In fact, there was a CBCS graded 8.5 FF #1 that recently set a record for highest sale for that grade. You can read about that here But I DO LOVE how he ends the video by telling everyone to collect how they like to collect!! Not everyone likes slabs and I think we tend to forget that the vast majority of collectors collect raw comics.

So, overall, I'd say it was a good review by someone who did not fully research the subject. At least he had the sense to not add PGX into the mix!!! This is all just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will state differently.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I don't understand going all the expense of having your book slabbed to have presentation defects like Newton rings. Hard enough to admire your book without being able to open it, let alone have oil slicks all over the covers

Sure.. If you are flipping on ebay yeah, can understand .. But if keeping book for personal collection it makes no sense.

YOUR PROFILE PIC IS BAD A!!! awesome!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHA He has me laughing with that comment
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@TheComicDoJo I just watched the video. Overall, I liked it and I felt he was trying his best to be impartial. He lost points with me when he referred to CGC's Qualified label as Certified. Yes, he added a correction on the video, but it came across as if he isn't that familiar with slabs. The two weeks TAT at CGC is inaccurate for economy, modern or value tiers. unless they are fast passed. There is a thread on the CGC Forum that relates to that here. That tells me he really didn't research that aspect throughly and probably took people's word about them.

The same can be said for his comment about CGC selling for 10 to 20 percent more. The general idea is accurate and I'm sure there are instances that might prove them. However, the margin is narrower on high end comics, especially those not sold on eBay, which the high end buyers avoid like the plague (or so I've been told). I'm not debating the fact, just the percentages he used and the way he presented it. He said you could potentially lose thousands and I don't agree. When you get to that level, the margains are much narrower. In fact, there was a CBCS graded 8.5 FF #1 that recently set a record for highest sale for that grade. You can read about that here But I DO LOVE how he ends the video by telling everyone to collect how they like to collect!! Not everyone likes slabs and I think we tend to forget that the vast majority of collectors collect raw comics.

So, overall, I'd say it was a good review by someone who did not fully research the subject. At least he had the sense to not add PGX into the mix!!! This is all just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will state differently.

WOW! Amazing feedback, I really appreciate that. I will make sure to share it with him. I really appreciate when people provide quality feedback like this. Good stuff! I agree with you on everything!

- Donnie
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
@dpiercy especially when you just got back a 9.6 - that in itself always feels like somewhat of an achievement. So to have it turn around to have that, smack in the middle of the book, isn't nice

@kaptainmyke for me, it depends on the severity and the placement. they don't always bother me no, but it's like anything, it's based on a case by case basis. If I feel as though my enjoyment of the book is significantly impacted because they draw too much attention where I can't see past them... then yeah, I won't lie, they bother me.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You wouldn't by chance be a beneficiary of the Exxon Valdez settlement?

Post 22 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Kilgore Trout would probably concur with an addendum and an asterisk.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
@kaptainmyke for me, it depends on the severity and the placement.

I agree I guess. I would have been devastated if this beauty had newton rings on it. I got lucky!

Post 24 IP   flag post
That was a joke.
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicDoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith

YOUR PROFILE PIC IS BAD A!!! awesome!
Mattina is on a roll with recent spawn covers..
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@TheComicDoJo

Watched the video with headphones in and realized that the audio was left speaker only. Maybe something to address in future videos.

Cheers.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600672 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?