Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector shimabuku private msg quote post Address this user
I have a n00b question. Lets just say I would like to get a simple sketch by Clayton Crain on the below cover and his signature at a con. Would this be considered a commission? If not, how much would this cost?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Cost would depend on the quality of the sketch youre requesting. Simple head sketch or full figure? Additional characters or background detail? Pencil or paint? Cost could be anywhere from $50 to several hundred.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@shimabuku You should be fine getting his signature at a con, should he make an appearance. As for getting any art from him, your best bet would be to sign up for his mailing list on his website. He’ll send out an email when he’s open for commissions (last time was this past May).

As for how much, Crain is not a cheap artist but he does amazing work. The “small remark - marker,” last time he opened for commissions, was $90 for a roughly 2”x3” piece.(bottom right corner)

Bigger pieces and in acrylics come more expensive.

My piece was about $375 when I got it a few years ago and I believe they’re a little more expensive now

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@shimabuku I see Clayton Crain has taken down the "commissions" tab on his website. I don't know if that means he's full-up for the year, or if his contracted work schedule is so busy that he no longer has time for private stuff. Either way, the man is in demand, so a remark or sketch cover is probably going to get expensive.

If you can find Ryan Ottley, the man does a fantastic Venom sketch cover. He's with FelixComicArt for $200, and you get a full cover.

"For $200 you get the head, the tail; the whole damn thing." - Quint, Jaws.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like he is taking "Remark Commissions taken each day at the Con's."

And "All Commissions in my possession are on HOLD as I finish SPIDERGEDDON #0. I'll start back up with full focus August 30."
Post 5 IP   flag post
597868 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?