Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Seduction of the Innocent7199

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I have a few. They are getting harder to find and track down in a decent grade, too.






Which version do you have?
Is any text blacked out in the indicia?


It's not the one you're thinking of. Nope. I know.


You can see the difference at the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2 on this pdf checklist.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JSoVioJUn2LxmrIPZzbHa6zuD_8ltKDo/view
Post 51 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user



It's just whited out.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
More common, but still a great book.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not following ... what was blacked out / whited out? What were they trying to fix or change?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Back in those days the post office would charge you for a new first class mailing permit for every new title you started. Publishers would try to avoid this charge by changing the title but continuing the numbering from s previous title. Sometimes the post office would catch them and make them pay the fine for a new title. EC first considered picking up the numbering from a previous title, starting at issue 15, then decided to forego this tactic and start crime suspenstories at issue one. The original indicia started at number 15 and was then changed to start the title from issue 1, so they changed the indicia to reflect that.
Post 55 IP   flag post


I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Which is why Tales from the Crypt starts at #20.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
These show the two version.







You can faintly read what was blacked out.

Some copies have the blacked out portion out of register and it's offset enough to read the text clearly.


Post 57 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, cool ... that makes sense now. When I looked at the pics before, I couldn't understand, since they both said Vol. 1. No. 1.

You know, it also makes more sense now why Disney called everything "Four Color," and came out with 4-5 issues a month, even though it was really dozens of different titles. Disney always did look for every possible advantage, money-wise. The explanation with the postage really clarifies that.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Makes sense to me
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
To complicate things further, the Canadian issues kept the original numbering a little longer than the US versions did on titles like Weird Science.

http://comiclist.000webhostapp.com/Superior/Weird_Science_Superior/Superior_Weird_Science.html
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I had no idea.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I knew about them messing with the tpublishing information, but these aren't books I generally collect.
Is there a difference in the demand for one color over the other?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I would think the earlier ones are more rare. That is, the ones where they deleted the 15 and replaced it with 1.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I woke up one day in the 90's. My goal was to stop by one shop (#1) with the money to buy a 1973 copy of SOTI that they were selling. Then I was going to head out to shop #2 and hang out there for a portion of the day. I stopped by shop #1 and chatted for awhile. I forgot to buy the book. When I arrived at shop #2, I realized what I'd done and called shop #1 to let them know I was coming back to buy it. The manager at shop #1 informs me that he'd just sold it. I asked who bought it. Ironically, it was sold to the wife of the owner of shop #2. She'd bought it as a birthday gift for her husband who owned shop #2. So I'm there talking to the soon to be recipient of the book that I was going to buy. I couldn't say anything because it was going to be a surprise. If I'd bought it, it would have messed up her plans for a birthday gift.

That was my brush with owning a copy of SOTI.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I woke up one day in the 90's. My goal was to stop by one shop (#1) with the money to buy a 1973 copy of SOTI that they were selling. Then I was going to head out to shop #2 and hang out there for a portion of the day. I stopped by shop #1 and chatted for awhile. I forgot to buy the book. When I arrived at shop #2, I realized what I'd done and called shop #1 to let them know I was coming back to buy it. The manager at shop #1 informs me that he'd just sold it. I asked who bought it. Ironically, it was sold to the wife of the owner of shop #2. She'd bought it as a birthday gift for her husband who owned shop #2. So I'm there talking to the soon to be recipient of the book that I was going to buy. I couldn't say anything because it was going to be a surprise. If I'd bought it, it would have messed up her plans for a birthday gift.

That was my brush with owning a copy of SOTI.
Very ironic how things can unfold.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I woke up one day in the 90's. My goal was to stop by one shop (#1) with the money to buy a 1973 copy of SOTI that they were selling. Then I was going to head out to shop #2 and hang out there for a portion of the day. I stopped by shop #1 and chatted for awhile. I forgot to buy the book. When I arrived at shop #2, I realized what I'd done and called shop #1 to let them know I was coming back to buy it. The manager at shop #1 informs me that he'd just sold it. I asked who bought it. Ironically, it was sold to the wife of the owner of shop #2. She'd bought it as a birthday gift for her husband who owned shop #2. So I'm there talking to the soon to be recipient of the book that I was going to buy. I couldn't say anything because it was going to be a surprise. If I'd bought it, it would have messed up her plans for a birthday gift.

That was my brush with owning a copy of SOTI.
Very ironic how things can unfold.


I just figured it was not my destiny to own a copy. I do remember that it had been a library copy at one point. It was stamped inside. I always wondered if it had been stolen from a library.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I was an AC service tech about 5 years ago for residential customers. I would come across homes that had comicbooks and similar items once in awhile. There was a late middle aged single guy with a bunch of comicbook boxes. So we got talking about comicbooks and he had 8 short boxes of Bronze age books that he said he would sell me. There were some nice books in there and some decent titles. I also mentioned to him this book called "Seduction of the Innocent" and that I had been looking for one for a few years and was intrigued by it's content. He walked me over to a book shelf and he slid a 1954 hardcover copy with the slip cover intact off the shelf. I really liked it and told him this was the one that I was looking for. It was not for sale. I told him I was looking to spend $100 for one.
So anyway, we agreed on a price of $500 for the 8 half boxes and I told him that I would be back later with cash after I went to the bank and had to run a couple more service calls. So when I came back he said that he did not feel that they were worth $500 and that a couple of the boxes were not completely full. So he said that he only wanted $400 for the 8 boxes of books. He then went on to say that being I was looking to buy a copy for $100, he said he would throw in the copy of SOTI and make it $500. I happily agreed to that. So I got the 8 half boxes of Bronze Age books and the copy of SOTI for the $500. I guess it was meant to be that day. He still had many more boxes and showed me some really high grade DC Silver Age books in his long boxes. I should try to touch base with him again and see if he is ready to sell some more books. He was a really nice guy who really loved comic books. It is nice to meet people who have the same passion as me.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I was an AC service tech about 5 years ago for residential customers. I would come across homes that had comicbooks and similar items once in awhile. There was a late middle aged single guy with a bunch of comicbook boxes. So we got talking about comicbooks and he had 8 short boxes of Bronze age books that he said he would sell me. There were some nice books in there and some decent titles. I also mentioned to him this book called "Seduction of the Innocent" and that I had been looking for one for a few years and was intrigued by it's content. He walked me over to a book shelf and he slid a 1954 hardcover copy with the slip cover intact off the shelf. I really liked it and told him this was the one that I was looking for. It was not for sale. I told him I was looking to spend $100 for one.
So anyway, we agreed on a price of $500 for the 8 half boxes and I told him that I would be back later with cash after I went to the bank and had to run a couple more service calls. So when I came back he said that he did not feel that they were worth $500 and that a couple of the boxes were not completely full. So he said that he only wanted $400 for the 8 boxes of books. He then went on to say that being I was looking to buy a copy for $100, he said he would throw in the copy of SOTI and make it $500. I happily agreed to that. So I got the 8 half boxes of Bronze Age books and the copy of SOTI for the $500. I guess it was meant to be that day. He still had many more boxes and showed me some really high grade DC Silver Age books in his long boxes. I should try to touch base with him again and see if he is ready to sell some more books. He was a really nice guy who really loved comic books. It is nice to meet people who have the same passion as me.


That sounds like a great deal. High grade DC silver is not an easy find either.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to pick up one of the 1972 editions as my reader copy. I like reading my 1954 copy but I do not like handling it too much. Looking to buy a copy here if anyone wants to sell one. Just PM me. Thanks.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
There is a current reprinting of SOTI available on Amazon. $45 for the hardcover.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector SOTICollector private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
He then went on to say that being I was looking to buy a copy for $100, he said he would throw in the copy of SOTI and make it $500. I happily agreed to that.


Nice! A copy of SOTI, with the DJ, for $100 is a good deal, and has been for a number of years. If it had the bibliography (pp. 399-400), it's a great deal.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector SOTICollector private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
There is a current reprinting of SOTI available on Amazon. $45 for the hardcover.

I have bought that Amazon book a number of times (see photos earlier in the thread). It is a so-called limited edition of 220 copies, but every time they sell out they print more. So don't fall for the "limited edition" bait. However, if you're looking for a reading copy of SOTI that's not too expensive, $45 is very reasonable. The modern reprint does have the bibliography. I frequently have lower grade copies of the 1954 printings available, but even in low grade I usually sell them for 1.5x to 2x the price of the Amazon one.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
Another came in the mail today
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
All right, who here won a copy on eBay today for $158.05?

That was supposed to be mine!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
THE WORLD OF FANZINES was Wertham's last book published in 1974 year of his death. He had a subscription to RBCC then subbing to all the zines which advertised therein. Matter of fact, he subscribed to my zine Fanzation mentioning and referencing it 9 times I counted. He even quoted most of the Steve Ditko letter we published in #3 from 1969.

I talked with Wertham on the phone when he called up to make his subscription. Exchanged a few letters with him. If there is any interest, I will expand on communicating with him back then.

Any one else here mentioned in his TWOF book?
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
THE WORLD OF FANZINES was Wertham's last book published in 1974 year of his death. He had a subscription to RBCC then subbing to all the zines which advertised therein. Matter of fact, he subscribed to my zine Fanzation mentioning and referencing it 9 times I counted. He even quoted most of the Steve Ditko letter we published in #3 from 1969.

I talked with Wertham on the phone when he called up to make his subscription. Exchanged a few letters with him. If there is any interest, I will expand on communicating with him back then.

Any one else here mentioned in his TWOF book?


I'm interested in hearing the story.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector SOTICollector private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51


I'm interested in hearing the story.

Ditto!
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Me too. Thritto!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user
And another for the collection
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector kash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 80 IP   flag post
610576 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?