Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector shimabuku private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys new to grading. As you can see from the below images there is a slight spine roll, not sure if that is the correct terminology but correct me if I am wrong please. Does this so called slight spine roll affect the grade? If so, what grade would you give this book? Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Really hard to see any severe spine roll from the full front angle.

Would really need to see the book from a side angle.

Even from the photo of the back I don't really see any spine roll.

The Book appears to be in pretty nice condition.

Im not a fan of "Date Stamps", but many do not take off for that.

Barring any unseen surface marks (Dents, scuffs, wrinkles, creases), I think the book could land in the 7.5 - 8.0 range. Maybe slightly better if the covers are free of any of the above mentioned surface flaws.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Looks more like a stacking curl than a spine roll.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t see any spine roll.
Post 4 IP   flag post
So it's called a stacking curl?

Post 5 IP   flag post
That looks like a very small miswrap.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
That looks like a very small miswrap.

Would it affect the grading? I am assuming pressing cannot fix that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not really and no.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Not really and no.

Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I would still look into getting it pressed if you are going to have it graded.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
can you take a picture from the side? I also think it is a curl and I think pressing will fix that.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I would agree what you highlighted looks to be a slight off centered cover. Nothing can fix that.

Also agree that we need to see the book from a side angle to see if the spine is actually rolled, Which it doesn't appear to be.

Being new to the grading game I would recommend becoming a bit more educated. Don't fall for all of that pressing hype. There is a time and place for it, but I don't think it is with this book. It is not a high value key book and the cost of pressing and Grading service's is often times more than the value of the book.

IMHO
Post 12 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Since the spine of comic books - especially the older ones - are thicker than the rest, the comics don't exactly stack evenly. Sometimes the spines of a few in the stack can bend or curl based on this unevenness. That's called a spine curl. A spine roll is from 'rolling' the front cover over to hold it with one hand and read it that way. If you do this a lot, it develops a pretty bad spine roll.

But actually, some people call any curve that's parallel to (and near) the spine a spine roll. The terms are often used inexactly.

Looks like you have one color breaking stress line near the bottom staple, a couple inconsequential spine ticks, and one small stress line at the top staple. You also have top left corner is slightly worn, and a couple spots of discoloration. If that is NOT at tear on the back cover, top, then I would say - with a press - this is a 9.0-9.2 comic.

Oh, wait ... is that a color breaking fold on the bottom right corner, diagonal and about an inch long? It's very faint, but if that's what it is, probably this will be an 8.0.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Big Red One is on the mark. This $20 book in 7.5 condition doesn't merit a pressing and you would need it to be NM 9.4 to make it worth your while to slab it (cost wise). An 8.5 slabbed copy just sold on EBay this month for $39.00. Just my take. Nuff said.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Nice book
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
As I suspected you were confusing the terminology.

You have a slightly mis-wrapped cover. Not spine roll.

The book presents fairly nice, but again I would keep it raw and enjoy it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with BRO44. Slab it if it's sentimental to you, but don't expect a grade higher than 8.0 AFTER a press. And definitely don't expect to get any return on investment if your intent is to sell. I'd rather hold it in my hands, personally, if it's sentimental.

FYI, You didn't answer whether the back top corner is a tear. That could drop it to a 6.0 or lower with the front lower corner crease.

I do like the red cover.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Agree, it's a miswrap and should not effect grade too severely, if at all.
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I was under the impression that if the defect is considered a manufacturing issue, the grade is not impacted at all...zero...meaning ALL miswraps do not impact grade. Is this not correct?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I was under the impression that if the defect is considered a manufacturing issue, the grade is not impacted at all...zero...meaning ALL miswraps do not impact grade. Is this not correct?

That’s what I understand.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

This is correct, and I very much disagree with this policy when it comes to grading mis-wrapped covers.
Mis-wraps are one of my biggest pet peeves. I dock all books at least 1/2 grade to a full grade depending on the severity of the mis-wrap. They are an eye sore and take away from the appeal of the book and I avoid them like the plague, especially on high grade books. Personally to me a 9.8 book can not have a mis-wrapped cover.

I know there are those who will disagree , as this has been discussed before many times. Bottom line for me is that if Im looking to purchase a high grade book (9.4-9.8) it most certain will not be one with a mis-wrapped cover.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

This is correct, and I very much disagree with this policy when it comes to grading mis-wrapped covers.
Mis-wraps are one of my biggest pet peeves. I dock all books at least 1/2 grade to a full grade depending on the severity of the mis-wrap. They are an eye sore and take away from the appeal of the book and I avoid them like the plague, especially on high grade books. Personally to me a 9.8 book can not have a mis-wrapped cover.

I know there are those who will disagree , as this has been discussed before many times. Bottom line for me is that if Im looking to purchase a high grade book (9.4-9.8) it most certain will not be one with a mis-wrapped cover.

I agree with your statement high grade 9.0 or above books as per Overstreet don't allow spine rolls.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I agree with your statement high grade 9.0 or above books as per Overstreet don't allow spine rolls.

Again... We are NOT talking about "Spine Roll" Spine Roll and Mis-Wrapped cover are two COMPLETELY different things. The Hulk #124 book in question with this thread DOES NOT have Spine Roll. It has a slight mis-wrap along the lower part of the spine, which the OP highlighted. I would likely dock the book 1/2 grade for it.

My statement above concerning Mis-Wrapped covers has absolutely nothing to do with "Spine Roll", That is a completely different animal.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Spine roll (Note the upper right corner where you can see how the rear pages aren’t in line with the front cover). If this was pressed, the white line along the spine could be greatly reduced.

Mis-wraps are a result of the way the cover was cut prior to it being stapled to the comic. It also can result in a white strip along the spine, but the edges of the front and rear covers line up.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is smart to mentally discount a grade with a mis-wrap. But it probably isn't necessary for graders to do so? Anyone can look at the comic and see the miswrap.

But of course, it depends on the severity, I'd guess. Grades generally reflect (ideally) how desirable a comic is to the collecting public. And the less even the wrap is, the less collectible the comic.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Look at the placement of the staples on the comic when looking at mis-wraps vs. spine rolls. Mis-wraps, the staples will be where their supposed to be but the cover is not aligned. A spine roll has all the pages of the book shifted, the spine itself has shifted, placing the staples on top of the book or the bottom of the book.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Good discussion going on here, but Im not exactly sure why it has come this far.

I believe it is common knowledge that pretty much any experienced knows the difference between spine roll and a mis-wrapped cover, and the fact that they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Hopefully the OP has taken note here and become more versed in comic flaws and terminology.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I've had comics which only had a production crease cited in the graders notes come back 9.0s and 9.2s. Of course those were cbcs graded. Cgc might have let it go...

My point is that not all production defects get a pass.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I've had comics which only had a production crease cited in the graders notes come back 9.0s and 9.2s. Of course those were cbcs graded. Cgc might have let it go...

My point is that not all production defects get a pass.

what's a production crease? how does a production crease differ from any other type of crease?
Post 30 IP   flag post
598095 44 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?