Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector timberghost private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I'm just an old fashion collector, but I remember when you bought comics off the shelf of the comic book store and they were mint books. Now days they are all wavy, bends, creases..ect and then you see the store owner posting auctions for books that are mint/near mint. What the heck has happened to the industry? Seems it has turned into where the owners are making out like bandits on the secondary market at the expense of the collectors that they used to depend on. Same with Variants, they sale very few and they are marked up, but then they have auctions for variants out the ying yang. Anyone else noticed this trend?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
@timberghost I can't remember the last time I saw a comic shop owner treating unbagged raw comics right.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I see the variants sitting in their spot on the shelf...someone buys them at the marked up price....not me though!!!
If I did want just the normal store variants there is a store near me that leaves them at cover price - about the only one around that does that...but all books are on shelf naked (no board or bag - until you purchase the book).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost
I remember when you bought comics off the shelf of the comic book store and they were mint books.

When I was a kid it was really difficult to get mint books off the pesky 'ol spinner rack!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost
I remember when you bought comics off the shelf of the comic book store and they were mint books.

When I was a kid it was really difficult to get mint books off the pesky 'ol spinner rack!

Yeah!! I have a few that came back in mid to high 9's with no press that I pulled off the wall racks - shocked!! And back then I wasn't looking through for the best copy either and was wrapping them in saran wrap!!!! Oh to be 10-13 again!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Most shops around me don't order enough to get the coveted variants...but they don't mark up books for at least a week on the shelf...maybe 2. They might keep one copy if they think it's a hot book and put it out later marked up...but not sure.

I think they treat/handle them ok. It's books-a-million that frightens me...if I find a 9.8 book it has a high risk of turning into a 9.4 or less once the lady at the register starts bending it trying to get the crappy scanner to read the bar code...cringe worthy moments...

But I think for the $3.99 and up price tag the printers/binders do a terrible job as they seem to crease books more then they don't or end up with littl hanging chads and binding tears at the corners. Didn't used to se that stuff in the old days unless it was in the spinner racks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
The variants are what's going to kill the market... hopefully. As stated, I'm never the one buying the variants but somebody is! And at the marked up price as well! I've given up 100% on variants unless I like the artwork but I never seek them out as I've just relegated myself to just getting the standard issue. I have asked before about a variant cover at a LCS and they say they ran out only to find a week or 2 later it's on the back shelf at a marked up price. Things are definitely different from when I was a kid...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I was just at the LCS and the guy working was like, “...the damaged books from Diamond weren’t too bad this week.” 😂
Post 8 IP   flag post
601485 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?