Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureToys Statues

Did Henry Cavill Quit As Superman?7098

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
hehe, look what THR did:

Hollywood Reporter @THRFilm

Exclusive: Henry Cavill exits the DCEU, Man of Steel sequel officially cancelled https://bit.ly/IqT6zt
Post 1 IP   flag post
You can tell among comic book bloggers who clicks the links and who just reads subject lines
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
You can tell among comic book bloggers who clicks the links and who just reads subject lines

Bastard
Post 3 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Henry does make a great superman. When he has a real mouth. Totally ruined the movie for me ☹️

Post 5 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Cavill might make a decent Bizarro-world Superman or ...perhaps... reimagined Lois Lane (...just kidding), but the best Superman portrayal I've seen to date has been George Reeves, the version of the character filmed in Superman vs The Molemen and the edgier pulp influenced 26 episodes of the first season of the original TV series ('51 - '52).

George Reeve's take on the character combined with more adult scriptwriting better captured the original comic book concept.

There are all kinds of arguments for reenvisioning the character for modern audiences, but in my estimation all have fallen short in defining Superman in ways that convey respect for the original source material. Superman is not a character that can easily be retooled by committee and effectively made darker as was achieved ...albeit inconsistently.... with Batman as the Dark Knight.

What has been missing from most Superman portrayals is the character's naive innocence or unwavering sense of optimism that goes hand-in-hand with his idealistic principles of justice and belief that mankind's better nature will prevail regardless of the gray-area vagaries of law.

My viewpoint on Superman probably won't be shared by those who identify closely with modern interpretations of Superman. The original Superman (comics, circa '38 & '39) wasn't the brightest tool in the box in spite of his alien genetics. After all, Clark Kent was raised by mid-western farmers and pretty much shielded from the world at large. IOW, he was pretty much an average guy incentivized by traditional American values in every way except for his incredible strength.

Interestingly, Superman's challenges in the early years were in defeating those who used superior intellect to manipulate the weak and helpless. He'd go after the criminally unscrupulous who used quasi-legal means to subjugate destitute victims beyond saving by normal means. In those early years, Superman met out justice to slum lords, bullies and criminal masterminds through his strength, without justifying his acts of vengeance, and without concern for the legal ramifications.

The modern interpretations of the character try to have it both ways, a powerful righter of wrongs (BIG picture instead of championing the little guy) and a conflicted hero in need of therapy over work and Kent family issues, relationship woes, the appropriateness or indecisive use of his super-powers and mind-numbing socially awkward issues intended to make Superman more relatable to an audience who goes through the same BS on a lesser scale every day of the week.

In all seriousness, emotional angst (personal baggage) would not be at the top of my list for best way to inspire an audience's emotional connection with this character.

I'm sure that mileage will vary widely on this, but IMO, Superman needs to get back to the basics. By basics, I mean those things which endeared this character to the public in the first place, ...all the way back in 1938. Could that be accomplished in a modern day setting? I don't really know. However, Marvel did a pretty good job of establishing Captain America as a 1940's character before yanking him into the present with all the fish-out-of-water baggage that time shifting entails.

These are just random thoughts on an issue of media as related to comics and the history that goes along with it. Rebooting is commonplace nowadays. Kryptonite notwithstanding, why should Superman be immune to reenvisionment?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I totally agree on the optimism point, the movies lately haven't really found his "voice". Sure he looks like Superman, but it doesn't feel like Superman when I'm watching
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
You know the rules and so do I.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598062 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?