Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Someone apparently found 2 copies of action comics 17091

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The crazy white of the cover through the scuff marks is what tells me its fake. Those scuffs are very recent to be that white.

Also, the hatching on superman is off. The original has clear hatches all over superman but this one is blurred.

And then there’s the lettering spaces pointed out by Ditch...

And as well, the fact these books are too big to be real (look at his thumb in relation to the comic)

Too many ifs.

It's definitely not a Famous First Editions reprint. It could be a printed copy from a scan. Regardless of whether it's real or not, the story is suspicious.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
We're approaching this thread the wrong way. What we need is a competition for the best punchline. Comedy can be tough, but here's the idea:

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "Foot traffic really picked up today, ... how were your sales?" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: "Didn't sell any books, but I made a killing on the sock market."

OK, now the ball's in your court. I'll provide the challenge set-up.

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "I just heard someone found two copies of Action #1!" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: ...?

...You finish the story!
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
You know, if someone wants to give me odds, I'll take the side that says these are real. Maybe a comic book bet for charity? We'd have to determine how the bet ends if nothing more happens.

3:1 they are fake.

If I lose I’ll .99c auction a $100 comic for 100% to Heroes initiative to your $33 comic same terms.

Aside from trying to analyze the books to determine authenticity, analyze the behaviour. If you found 2 Action Comics 1s would plaster that news on Facebook? No way in hell would I do that. No one would know (who didn't need to know) I had those books until they went up for sale. For the reasons of a.) being robbed or b.) being called a liar.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
You know, if someone wants to give me odds, I'll take the side that says these are real. Maybe a comic book bet for charity? We'd have to determine how the bet ends if nothing more happens.

If I lose I’ll .99c auction a $100 comic for 100% to Heroes initiative to your $33 comic same terms.

Aside from trying to analyze the books to determine authenticity, analyze the behaviour. If you found 2 Action Comics 1s would plaster that news on Facebook? No way in hell would I do that. No one would know (who didn't need to know) I had those books until they went up for sale. For the reasons of a.) being robbed or b.) being called a liar.

I would absolutely tell all of you and rub it in. And answer any questions, and post any pictures. I'd let you know what the plan is, and solicit advice for how to proceed. I'd go to my LCS and show them, and I'd post it on Facebook for all my civilian (non-comic book) friends to see ... because EVERYONE knows what Action Comics #1 is. And if they don't, I'll explain it to them. Because: rub it in, remember?

For me, it's easy not to care if people think I'm lying when I'm not. Why should you care if people believe you? They'll eventually know it was real anyway when I sell one of them.
Post 79 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I would absolutely tell all of you and rub it in. And answer any questions, and post any pictures. I'd let you know what the plan is, and solicit advice for how to proceed. I'd go to my LCS and show them, and I'd post it on Facebook for all my civilian (non-comic book) friends to see ... because EVERYONE knows what Action Comics #1 is. And if they don't, I'll explain it to them. Because: rub it in, remember?

For me, it's easy not to care if people think I'm lying when I'm not. Why should you care if people believe you? They'll eventually know it was real anyway when I sell one of them.

LOL!!! get that for sure...me, I'd definitely keep it quiet until they were sold or up for sale through a 3rd party and then let everyone know I had them.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
We're approaching this thread the wrong way. What we need is a competition for the best punchline. Comedy can be tough, but here's the idea:

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "Foot traffic really picked up today, ... how were your sales?" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: "Didn't sell any books, but I made a killing on the sock market."

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "I just heard someone found two copies of Action #1!" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: ...?

...You finish the story!

"Well, that would definitely get him laid by any of the customers at my store."
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Fake AF.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Post 83 IP   flag post
I dont believe it because the odds of this being real are astronomical....its tantamount to winning the lottery...not impossible just highly unlikely.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

...You finish the story!

“Does Superman die in that one too”?
Post 85 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

"Why two, do you think?"

The first dealer replies, "In case he wants to read it twice."
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I dont believe it because the odds of this being real are astronomical....its tantamount to winning the lottery...not impossible just highly unlikely.

It's highly unlikely for one person to find them, true. But there's 330 million of us in this country. So that brings the odds down.

Or you can look at the the other way. There are surely other copies out there. What are the odds they can stay hidden for another ten years, or twenty?
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It's highly unlikely for one person to find them, true. But there's 330 million of us in this country. So that brings the odds down.

Or you can look at the the other way. There are surely other copies out there. What are the odds they can stay hidden for another ten years, or twenty?

You're right but he not only found one but two. We dont know for sure and theres no way of knowing for sure unless experts get to analyze the books. From the outside looking in, we have a guy that, again, found two (not one but two) of the rarest, most expensive comics on the planet. Not impossible just highly unlikely and also highly suspect. I'd love it to be true but to me, everything indicates it isnt.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
So far we've had several excellent attempts at punchlines. Let's see if we can ferret out a few more clever responses. Here's my first attempt using the Action #1 scenario...

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "I just heard someone found two copies of Action #1!" The second dealer looks up from his drink and says: "I only carry Moderns, ...is the second cover a variant?"

Your turn. Wise guys and sit-down comedians welcome.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So far we've had several excellent attempts at punchlines. Let's see if we can ferret out a few more clever responses. Here's my first attempt using the Action #1 scenario...

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "I just heard someone found two copies of Action #1!" The second dealer looks up from his drink and says: "I only carry Moderns, ...is the second cover a variant?"

Your turn. Wise guys and sit-down comedians welcome.

I'd say, "Yeah, it's a Venomized cover." while thinking "What a dumb ****".
Post 90 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The second dealer looks up from his drink and says:

Hey, do you think he’d trade them for 2,000 copies of Action #1000?
Post 91 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
The second dealer looks up from his drink and asks,
"Is at least one of them a newsstand edition?"
Post 92 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Is either one signed by Stan Lee?
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

the second dealer looks up from his drink and says;

Trying to pass off 5 man for Superman, man I took an old lady with that trick, traded my musty 5 man for a pile of Golden Dick Tracy.
Post 94 IP   flag post

I've got a friend who owns a long box full of that issue.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wait!!! I have that issue...something different though..just can't place it...

Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
I still find no news outlets with this. Assuming no updates and this most likely can be filed away?
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Second dealer looks up and says...two copies huh....figured that was what those two guys were using for coasters under their drinks.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering what became of this guy. Just a hoax that took a little effort to pull off. Surely he didn't think he could sell them as original.
Post 99 IP   flag post

Pffft....probably restored...pass.
Post 100 IP   flag post
600893 100 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?