Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Someone apparently found 2 copies of action comics 17091

Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
It may be missing a value stamp and he's fearing the dreaded check mark on his grade.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh,its real.and its spectacular!
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The bottom edges are too clean and don’t match the level of wear on the rest
Post 54 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thinking this story is BS. Still no mainstream media report, I find that hard to believe. Not buying this find.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
Send them to me, I'll take care of them for you. No worries... ;-)
Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'm thinking this story is BS. Still no mainstream media report, I find that hard to believe. Not buying this find.

That's because they are reprints. Otherwise, Metropolis Comics would be on it like white on rice.
Post 57 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

That's because they are reprints. Otherwise, Metropolis Comics would be on it like white on rice.

Agreed!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Saw this think it’s completely fake.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
http://the-comic-book-forum.boards.net/thread/1264/kirkland-barn-action-comics-debunked?page=1#post-61490
Post 60 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Too good to be true.
Post 61 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Who knows what I'll find in that abandoned shed out behind my property next April 1st?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
At first I thought that they had to be fake but then I found this site and now I'm not so sure :

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/fakes/

None of the reprints had the glare on the rear of the front wheel arch.
Post 63 IP   flag post
I'll need to look at my loot crate facsimile. But does anyone know, other than the obvious prestine condition, how to tell the difference between a facsimile and the original? They're supposed to be exact copies...as if xerox'd, correct?
Post 64 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I'll need to look at my loot crate facsimile. But does anyone know, other than the obvious prestine condition, how to tell the difference between a facsimile and the original? They're supposed to be exact copies...as if xerox'd, correct?

They actually look legit to me. Someone objected saying there is no press reports about this. I would suppose the comics - if this is real - are being cleaned and pressed very carefully right now. At least, that's what I'd do. Not sure if I would go to a reporter or not. But I can see posting on Facebook and such, like this guy did. And frankly, I wouldn't care if people believed me or not ... 4-6 months and they would be for sale. Well ... one of them would be.

Regarding your question, there are some differences between the original and the reprints. Some quite subtle. The one I remember is the running board of the car in Supe's hand ... in the original it is yellow, but in most (all?) reprints it is the same green as the car.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Regarding your question, there are some differences between the original and the reprints. Some quite subtle. The one I remember is the running board of the car in Supe's hand ... in the original it is yellow, but in most (all?) reprints it is the same green as the car.

You're,right. Not one reprint I found on eBay had the yellow running board, nor the reflection along the front fender, nor the the black horizontal lines (shaded area) on the front door. Reflection on the tires are different. Loot crate facsimile didn't have the 10 cent price. I did find a vendor on eBay just selling the covers (not the interior) as facsimiles that looks to be the closest. So my guess is that it's one of those covers wrapped around a loot crate interior.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
You know, if someone wants to give me odds, I'll take the side that says these are real. Maybe a comic book bet for charity? We'd have to determine how the bet ends if nothing more happens.
Post 67 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You know, if someone wants to give me odds, I'll take the side that says these are real. Maybe a comic book bet for charity? We'd have to determine how the bet ends if nothing more happens.

3:1 they are fake.

If I lose I’ll .99c auction a $100 comic for 100% to Heroes initiative to your $33 comic same terms.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

If I lose I’ll .99c auction a $100 comic for 100% to Heroes initiative to your $33 comic same terms.

Done! If we don't hear anything, how long do we wait? I am presuming the comics are being cleaned right now, but have no idea how long a high-end shop would take with it. Also presuming the owner will sell them eventually. I hope that's true ... I would hate to be right and never know it.
Post 69 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid I can’t seem to access the group that this was posted in, can you?

I can’t imagine anybody is going to hang onto both copies, especially someone that hangs out in a low grade, collectors group. If they are real, the money from selling just one of them would be too enticing
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:

I can’t imagine anybody is going to hang onto both copies, especially someone that hangs out in a low grade, collectors group. If they are real, the money from selling just one of them would be too enticing

I would definitely sell one of them, myself, to pay for the cleaning, etc. of both of them. And maybe a new yacht?

I just requested to join the group. (It is closed, but you can ask for membership.) Will let you know if anything happens there.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
They might be real given the beads of sweat coming from the guy in the foreground and the rocks being in front of the hood on the car. I'd still want to have it in hand to make a decision.
Post 72 IP   flag post
The crazy white of the cover through the scuff marks is what tells me its fake. Those scuffs are very recent to be that white.

Also, the hatching on superman is off. The original has clear hatches all over superman but this one is blurred.

And then there’s the lettering spaces pointed out by Ditch...

And as well, the fact these books are too big to be real (look at his thumb in relation to the comic)

Too many ifs.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Fake!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:

Well, I guess that wasn't the right group? It was "Low Grade Comic Collectors! And Buy/Sell/Trade" ... but I was made a member, and then I searched the group for "Action comics," and the post didn't come up.

Anyone know when the original post was made? And if the above is the right group?
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The crazy white of the cover through the scuff marks is what tells me its fake. Those scuffs are very recent to be that white.

Also, the hatching on superman is off. The original has clear hatches all over superman but this one is blurred.

And then there’s the lettering spaces pointed out by Ditch...

And as well, the fact these books are too big to be real (look at his thumb in relation to the comic)

Too many ifs.

It's definitely not a Famous First Editions reprint. It could be a printed copy from a scan. Regardless of whether it's real or not, the story is suspicious.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
We're approaching this thread the wrong way. What we need is a competition for the best punchline. Comedy can be tough, but here's the idea:

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "Foot traffic really picked up today, ... how were your sales?" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: "Didn't sell any books, but I made a killing on the sock market."

OK, now the ball's in your court. I'll provide the challenge set-up.

Two comic book dealers walk into a bar and order drinks. The first dealer says: "I just heard someone found two copies of Action #1!" The second dealer looks up from his drink and responds: ...?

...You finish the story!
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Aside from trying to analyze the books to determine authenticity, analyze the behaviour. If you found 2 Action Comics 1s would plaster that news on Facebook? No way in hell would I do that. No one would know (who didn't need to know) I had those books until they went up for sale. For the reasons of a.) being robbed or b.) being called a liar.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Aside from trying to analyze the books to determine authenticity, analyze the behaviour. If you found 2 Action Comics 1s would plaster that news on Facebook? No way in hell would I do that. No one would know (who didn't need to know) I had those books until they went up for sale. For the reasons of a.) being robbed or b.) being called a liar.

I would absolutely tell all of you and rub it in. And answer any questions, and post any pictures. I'd let you know what the plan is, and solicit advice for how to proceed. I'd go to my LCS and show them, and I'd post it on Facebook for all my civilian (non-comic book) friends to see ... because EVERYONE knows what Action Comics #1 is. And if they don't, I'll explain it to them. Because: rub it in, remember?

For me, it's easy not to care if people think I'm lying when I'm not. Why should you care if people believe you? They'll eventually know it was real anyway when I sell one of them.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I would absolutely tell all of you and rub it in. And answer any questions, and post any pictures. I'd let you know what the plan is, and solicit advice for how to proceed. I'd go to my LCS and show them, and I'd post it on Facebook for all my civilian (non-comic book) friends to see ... because EVERYONE knows what Action Comics #1 is. And if they don't, I'll explain it to them. Because: rub it in, remember?

For me, it's easy not to care if people think I'm lying when I'm not. Why should you care if people believe you? They'll eventually know it was real anyway when I sell one of them.

LOL!!! get that for sure...me, I'd definitely keep it quiet until they were sold or up for sale through a 3rd party and then let everyone know I had them.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600806 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?