Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Someone apparently found 2 copies of action comics 17091

Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
But guys there's hay in the picture! Must be legit 😭 Lmao
Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If this is fake, this makes me sad.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know...age patterns look odd, a lot of surface rubbing on covers.

In trunk since before 1955...published 1938, so 17 years handling maximum. With that amount of wear I would expect a lengthwise crease or two as a kid folded them to fit in their back pocket. Needless to say I was not alive back then... but how common would it be to have 2 of any issue??
Remember this is before collecting was a thing - kids read and traded these and most were recycled as part of the war effort, and these were mostly read by kids i.e. persons who would have been too young to have army gear in a trunk (lets say kid was 10 in 1938 - WW II starts 1939, America Joins war effort in 1941 - max age kid is 13??) Maybe Korean War gear so 1950 - kid is now 22? and keeping comics is not really a thing still....)

I'll wait for experts to verify..if real it is amazing!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The whole thing is a joke to get comic book nerds all excited.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
The whole thing is a joke to get comic book nerds all excited.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Cooooooould be real.got the 2 sweat beads on lower left guy,the runner on the car is yellow,the front fender has a white glare on it,theres the "floating" rock and theres the little black line between the floating headlight and other piece of debris.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I say fake.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
I am still very surprised that no news outlets or anything have picked this up if it is real. I've been curious and checking all day, nothing.

As mentioned before, the normal "tell tales" appear to be there looking to be original copies. Hopefully it is, I'd like to see verified.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, no major news outlet has picked up on this yet, surprising? I guess if it doesn't involve Trump or the Russians, the news media just isn't interested.
Of course this may be "fake news" itself.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
18 year old kid joins navy in 1939 takes a few books with him mom sends Him care package with more books later he trades with other guys ends up with two by accident. Gets sent to Pearl Harbor leaves his trunk behind at base takes with him the comics he hasn’t read two years later the bombing he doesn’t survive. Navy sends trunk back to family who’s to grief stricken to open it and it sits for 17 years til his parents die. Could happen would be sad if it did. I’m more surprised no one is saying anything about him handling that book with no gloves on.
Post 35 IP   flag post
....they could use a press.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
@Venomade Could we have a link to the facebook group, if you would, please?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1263408677013075
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1263408677013075

Thanks a lot. I am actually a member of that group so I'll have a root around and see what people are saying.

EDIT. Well I thought I was a member but I must've been thinking about another group. Request to join sent.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not believing it. The colors look to brilliant and off.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user

I found a copy of Action #1 in my collection. Someone had stapled an extra cover onto it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I know mine is real!

Post 42 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
so my thoughts, its POSSIBLE, i mean a buddy of mine found a Hulk 181 in a box of comics someone was going to throw out, so possible? sure, plausible? perhaps. Regardless, while the issues look like originals and not reprints, I will consider this a hoax until the same person states they sent them in to CBCS or CGC and got them back with the photos as proof. Outside of that, not believing it. Even if he's a picker, and not a true collector, I can't imagine of a scenario where he would not send them in for verification, u nless they are fake. if they are real, and he believes it, grading them will only increase their value astronomically. If he decides to sell them raw because he's not a "comic guy," they're either fake and he knows it, or he's the worlds largest idiot.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
so my thoughts, its POSSIBLE, i mean a buddy of mine found a Hulk 181 in a box of comics someone was going to throw out, so possible? sure, plausible? perhaps. Regardless, while the issues look like originals and not reprints, I will consider this a hoax until the same person states they sent them in to CBCS or CGC and got them back with the photos as proof. Outside of that, not believing it. Even if he's a picker, and not a true collector, I can't imagine of a scenario where he would not send them in for verification, u nless they are fake. if they are real, and he believes it, grading them will only increase their value astronomically. If he decides to sell them raw because he's not a "comic guy," they're either fake and he knows it, or he's the worlds largest idiot.

I agree with you on all points. As an interesting side/related note...the owner of the Edgar Church/Mile High copy of AC1, rumored to be the best existing comic with a grade of at least 9.4 possibly 9.6, refuses to get it 3rd party graded. That, I find very interesting.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I agree with you on all points. As an interesting side/related note...the owner of the Edgar Church/Mile High copy of AC1, rumored to be the best existing comic with a grade of at least 9.4 possibly 9.6, refuses to get it 3rd party graded. That, I find very interesting.

My only though is perhaps he knows its not a 9.4/9.6 or is afraid it will come back lower? Regardless, i find that hard to justify, even considering it would be expensive to grade, that would still be outweighed by the price bump it could get.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

My only though is perhaps he knows its not a 9.4/9.6 or is afraid it will come back lower? Regardless, i find that hard to justify, even considering it would be expensive to grade, that would still be outweighed by the price bump it could get.

Regarding the Church AC1 copy, if I put myself in their shoes, I'd have a hard time handing over that copy potentially worth XX,000,000 of dollars to ANYONE lol, even CGC/CBCS. Plus, if it came back lower than it was expected, it could send ripples through the high end market. I'd LOVE to know how its stored/protected though.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Regarding the Church AC1 copy, if I put myself in their shoes, I'd have a hard time handing over that copy potentially worth XX,000,000 of dollars to ANYONE lol, even CGC/CBCS. Plus, if it came back lower than it was expected, it could send ripples through the high end market. I'd LOVE to know how its stored/protected though.

yeah, not too sure either way...maybe he thinks it'll grade lower...maybe he won't let it out of his sight...I'd love to know why and I'd really like to see that book. in the hobby, its THE book!
Post 47 IP   flag post
He may like smelling it and sctually touching/reading it and not a plastic case
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoma7623
He may like smelling it and sctually touching/reading it and not a plastic case

lol!!!!!!!! possible but doubtful.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Remember that up until a few years ago, no one, and I mean NO ONE, ever thought that keeping a comic book sealed in a slab of plastic was the way to store a comic book. I mean, they are made to be read and looked at - unlike baseball cards or coins where you can see all of the parts even when slabbed. So the owner of the Mile High AC 1 is probably just a regular old school collector who actually likes his books free range. I'm sure he knows how to store and handle the book. He bought it way back in the 1970's and he was a serious collector then!
Post 50 IP   flag post
It may be missing a value stamp and he's fearing the dreaded check mark on his grade.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Oh,its real.and its spectacular!
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The bottom edges are too clean and don’t match the level of wear on the rest
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'm thinking this story is BS. Still no mainstream media report, I find that hard to believe. Not buying this find.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601511 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?