Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Someone apparently found 2 copies of action comics 17091

Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
Found this on a Facebook group i’m part of, people are going crazy over it.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
is this real? pages look very white, it should have yellowed more.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow I'm speechless. This is incredible. At least $100,000 copies for sure. The land would be paid for lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Too white at the edges. I can see maybe the cover whiteness being ok, but the edges of the cover look “freshly frayed”.

Fake news.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
If these are real (which I hope they are), it could be the greatest find of the last decade. I hope it is true for the picker and the hobby but I have to remain skeptical until I see a picture of the indica or have a independent third party verify their authenticity.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Venomade Are there more photos? Has any news source picked up on this yet?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
I show that yesterday,the inside of that truck and cloths look pretty good for being in a barn for 63 years
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Pacoma7623 private msg quote post Address this user
Also saw that in the group.few of us also thought the pic of them in the box with the clothes had WAY too white of pages.for it being the thicker books with all the old ads was thinking maybe the loot crate version that came out a lil while back and they just "antiqued" them.pretty sure this would make the news....just like every other finding of this book
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
They were inside a trunk with army fatiques. It's entirely possible.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Sealed inside a trunk, page quality is possible. Any other comics, or just the 2 Actions?

Great find, picker's (or any collectors) dream! Love hearing about these stories!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Shouldn’t he morally give a piece of that money to the owner that gave it to him for free not knowing what it was worth? WWCD= what would cak do
Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I really hope this is true...WOW!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
do you think there's any legal recourse from the "older gentleman"?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven

This.
Post 15 IP   flag post
How do we know the older gentleman wasn't or won't be compensated? Interesting that some people went there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Venomade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
How do we know the older gentleman wasn't or won't be compensated? Interesting that some people went there.

We don't know...maybe he will, if so great, if not, lets see what happens. Its just conversation because if this is true, clearly there's a ton of money in question.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Action Comics #1's value comes largely because of its scarcity (is that fair to say?). If that's true, do these unearthed copies do anything to diminish the value (however so slightly) or are they so rare that even if 100 more pop up, there'd be no impact?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@GAC yes, those are couple hundred thousand dollar books - each! (A CGC 3.0 sold for about $500,000 in last couple of years).

Seemed to me that it wasn't just a discussion but accusations. It's always a question about what the legal obligation is and what the moral/right thing to do is (and if there is a difference) in cases like this. Hopefully it won't become a drawn out legal battle. People get nuts about these situations. I remember the story about the copy found in the wall of a house - the owner and an aunt were fighting over it and they ended up ripping the back cover! Cost them a couple (tens of?) Thousand dollars.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Action Comics #1's value comes largely because of its scarcity (is that fair to say?). If that's true, do these unearthed copies do anything to diminish the value (however so slightly) or are they so rare that even if 100 more pop up, there'd be no impact?

I think it's rare enough and desirable enough that ten or twenty copies probably wouldn't affect the value, depending on the conditions. A hundred? That probably would have some atgect, but it won't make it affordable for the likes of us!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke CAK would always pay fair market value, of course.
Post 22 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Something stinks about this story. The staged pic of both books, oddly worn, sitting in a new looking chest with new clothing...
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Fake News or scam.

Who takes a picture of the inside of a box containing Action Comics #1, without first going through the box and seeing what is underneath?

And who only keeps TWO copies of the most important and historic comic book in history, and no other books? And not in a bag, plastic or wrap of gentle cloth?

Nothing about this story adds up to truth.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Staged and both are reprints made to look aged.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
But guys there's hay in the picture! Must be legit 😭 Lmao
Post 26 IP   flag post
If this is fake, this makes me sad.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know...age patterns look odd, a lot of surface rubbing on covers.

In trunk since before 1955...published 1938, so 17 years handling maximum. With that amount of wear I would expect a lengthwise crease or two as a kid folded them to fit in their back pocket. Needless to say I was not alive back then... but how common would it be to have 2 of any issue??
Remember this is before collecting was a thing - kids read and traded these and most were recycled as part of the war effort, and these were mostly read by kids i.e. persons who would have been too young to have army gear in a trunk (lets say kid was 10 in 1938 - WW II starts 1939, America Joins war effort in 1941 - max age kid is 13??) Maybe Korean War gear so 1950 - kid is now 22? and keeping comics is not really a thing still....)

I'll wait for experts to verify..if real it is amazing!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The whole thing is a joke to get comic book nerds all excited.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
The whole thing is a joke to get comic book nerds all excited.

Post 30 IP   flag post
598069 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?