Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee is done doing public signings7059

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
... according to Bleeding Cool.

"Desert Wind Comics and sister company Celestial Comics currently list Stan Lee as available for signing events through their companies. They state that:

As many of you know, Stan Lee has been getting older and as such signing opportunities are getting more rare. And getting books signed that are eligible for CGC Signature Series Grading is becoming more difficult. The exact date and location of this signings will not be announced for security reasons. So we are simply authorized to announce accepting books early and will accept books up to the deadline, so submit early so you don’t get caught by surprise and miss the signing.

And you’ll pay for the privilege.

The price to get a modern tier book signed and graded is $180. That price includes grading of a modern tier book, our witnessing and handling fee and Stan’s signing fee. Non-graded comic books or raw items like posters and toys are priced beginning at $160 and depend on the size and value of the item.

The submission form deadline is August 18th, 2018.

There was serious concerns expressed by fans, creators, and friends alike during the Silicon Valley Comic Con, where Stan seemed unable to sign his own name, resorting to drawing circles, and had to be told be now-estranged business partner Keya Morgan how to spell his name.

Desert Wind/Celestial Comics were part of that event and graded those comic being signed, and also created the comic variants that were used in the so-called “blood comics”. Since that date, Morgan has been charged with elder abuse and is subject to an ongoing court case.

I spoke to Jonathan Bolerjack, who used to work for Stan’s ex-business manager Max Anderson, and who is one of the people currently looking after Stan. He told me that Stan Lee will no longer be participating in public signings. But private signings will continue. He said:

To be very clear, Stan is 100% not doing any conventions / public signings. In the last few years his well being had been compromised by people for monetary gain and that practice is over.

His private signings had also been paused for a month while Stan’s life gets back to normal and time could be given to review signing deals made by previous people involved in Stan’s life.

As of this week Stan is signing a very small amount of items per week at his discretion, some for Desert Wind. This has proven frustrating for some as people are used to Stan signing hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of books a day, however my concern is for Stan’s health and wishes so he signs what he wants when he wants, which is as it always should be.

The situation is, naturally, continuing to develop."

Bleeding Cool
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
thank goodness..sounds like signings are winding down. I would prefer that they just stop but this is at least a move in the right direction.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Excelsiorcomix private msg quote post Address this user
Im glad i met him, and have 3 signed books. Thanks Stan! Get some rest now.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
About time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Ah, Desert Wind Comics, the paragon of trust and customer service in the world of autographed collectibles. I bet someone there already has Stan's signature down pat.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Ah, Desert Wind Comics, the paragon of trust and customer service in the world of autographed collectibles. I bet someone there already has Stan's signature down pat.

LMAO!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

The Masters of Schemes and Illusions (They could actually appear in a comic as Stan's arch enemy)
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Seriously?! Would they forge Stan's sig?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Well, this is corporate America, just a Wells Fargo kind of thing. You know, fraud
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Well, this is corporate America, just a Wells Fargo kind of thing. You know, fraud

That's sad....makes witnessed and verified all the more necessary.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
My dad got tired of signing stuff the school sent home so he showed me a method where by i could forge his signature and to be honest just about anyone elses...ahhhh more great parenting!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I still say that a signature on a book is nothing. Unless you personally had it signed and it is a memory trigger that you cherish along with the book.

Anything else is just speculation or investment.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have a related question, that I have always wondered about.

There are some silver age books (westerns are all I can think of at the moment), whereupon the "story" is that the printers did not print the issue number on the covers. And that Stan Lee himself penned in the issue numbers on all of the copies of said issues. (that would have been quite a chore)

If that story is accurate, would not those books actually be original handwritings or original "remarks" by Stan Lee?

The two books I am aware of, are Two Gun Kid #60 and Kid Colt Outlaw #97.

Heritage Auctions calls them "variants", so perhaps not all copies were hand written issue numbers on the cover. It is difficult to find information on these books.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Stan deserves a well earned rest. I have one book signed by him and it isn't a very valuable book. It is a simple, common, Spiderman issue and I will always cherish the memory of meeting him. I feel sorry for all future generations who will not be able to meet him in person, but I wish for his well being and his health, which should always come first.I
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
I have my FF #52 and Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 that were signed by Stan Lee this past January in New Orleans. I'm glad that I was able to get my books signed by him and meet him in person before all of this started to happen. Even then - just 8 months ago - he looked tired and worn out from people in his business circle putting hundreds of books in his face to sign on the daily. I'm glad to hear this and very lucky I was able to go to one of his last public signings. Hope he gets the rest he deserves and has some people in his circle that actually care about his well-being. Good luck, Stan!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Early to mid 90's got the 1st original 27 volumes of marvel masterworks signed for free. They are still my treasures of my treasures. Take a rest Stan... well deserved
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I was lucky enough to meet him a few times in the 90s and actually got to have some nice conversations with him.
Post 17 IP   flag post
597868 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?